Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - from the void [SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 164 — Threads: 28
Signos: 385
Inactive Character

She stands along the shore of the lake, a place that has always been a means of comfort to her. The water, when it fills her lungs, makes her feel alive in a way that she never thought was possible. It’s hard to take the kelpie out of the mare when the water always calls to her. But unlike most days, she’s not beneath the water’s surface. Tonight, however, she stands until the water laps at her underbelly. Fish swim around her, lake weed seems to tangle around her strong legs. Her muscles ache. She is tired. She is tired of the heartbreak that seems to befall her and her court. And yet, Katniss hopes and prays that her court will be granted peace. She does not fully understand what has happened, not yet, only that there is a sense of loss that seems to cover her like a thick cloak. It’s suffocating.

And then she hears it.

Thunder rumbles in the distance and it catches the mare’s attention. Eyes look up at the sky, looking for the storm that seemed to announce itself. She remembers the first night she came to Novus, to Denocte. She remembers the rain that seemed to come in such a downpour that it made her vision blurry. She remembers seeking shelter with Isra and Lysander. She remembers those first moments the best, when she offers herself to help in any way she can. At the time, she doesn’t know what she is offering up, that Denocte will come to mean something so much more than simply a home. She did not know that Denocte would become the court she fought to protect, the court that blessed her with love, that tortured her with loss. There was no way to know what Caligo had in store for her so many years later.

But as Katniss looks up at the sky, she does not seem the same storm clouds. She does not see lightning that lights up the sky. There is no rain, not even the smell of it on the horizon. And yet, the thunder rumbles.

Dark red eyes look up at the stars and then she sees the movement. It’s subtle at first, but the stars are actually moving. It’s strange and mystifying and Katniss knows that this means something. The Gods are coming back to Novus and she needs to be there when they come.

She meets the gathering in the courtyard, the heart of Denocte. She sees faces that she has never met before, though some seem familiar in a sense. Perhaps she has seen them in passing. But the person she doesn’t see is Morrighan. Where was their Sovereign?

And then Caligo speaks, drawing Katniss’ attention as if she had no control over it at all. She speaks of the death of the painted mare. She can hear the gasps in the crowd, the disbelief. She doesn’t wholeheartedly believe it herself, but she also cannot deny the fact that the demi-goddess is the one giving the news. It isn’t something the Gods tended to meddle in, unless it was true.

As her brain processes the information that Denocte is once again without a queen (for it has always been queens since her arrival), there are others that come forward. She listens quietly, her brain sifting through the words that each individual is saying. They are all offering to help, to guide the court into something new and progressive. Some of them are from Denocte, but others are not.

In a sudden moment of understanding, Katniss knows what she must do. She did not come to Denocte to run when the court needed her the most. She had always given herself to Denocte, to Caligo, and she would do so now.

“Once again Denocte has seen devastation…” Her voice just barely seems to rise above the gathered crowd as she steps through those who have gathered. Some seem to part like the red sea as she steps forward, others are too in shock and she steps around them. She can hear the soft clip clop of her hooves against the cobblestone path and it sounds deafening, as if everyone has silenced so that she may speak.

She comes to stand at an angle to Caligo, but her body is turned to address the gathering crowd. She takes a moment to look at each one of them, to have direct eye contact with each soul that has gathered. Each soul that is scared, angry, hurt. “But let us not allow this even to damper the heart of Denocte. I know you all to be resilient and talented and I know each one of you loves Denocte.” She makes an appropriate pause, making sure that her words are thought out fully. “From the moment I arrived in Novus, I have dedicated my life in the service of our great court and to Caligo. I have seen Denocte through so many tragedies and I hope to lead you all through this one.” She offers a faint smile, a smile of hope. It’s something she has not done in ages and she knows that some will understand where it comes from. “I want to help Denocte pull together and get through this tragedy, to build bonds that will last a lifetime. I want to see you all flourish, to see Denocte rise again to greatness. I want you all to see that time will eventually heal all wounds and through our bond as a court, we can overcome this.” She looks out to the crowd, her eyes softening. Even though her body is riddled with the scars of a warrior, she comes to them as a friend, not a soldier. “We need to look to the future and see not what Denocte is…but what it can be!” She smiles fully now, knowing that she feels inspired and she hopes others have sought comfort in her words. “I would love to lead you to greatness, to happiness, to progress…should you allow me to.” In this moment, Katniss looks to each individual. She hopes they see her as a friend, not as someone who wants to rule them. A kingdom with a queen has a stigma that she hates. She wants this to be a coalition, a partnership between herself and each one of them. But did they want the same? Only time would tell.

About the RPer

Thanks for auditioning! Let's start with your name.
Zombie - but some call me Zoms or ZomZom

Great! How old are you?

Have you ever held a Position of Power before?
Yes. Over the 18 or so years I’ve been RPing, I’ve held 4 leading positions all by different characters  across different games (Katniss has lead 2 of them). I also successful ran an RPG for a little over a year so I understand what goes into leading both IC and OOC.

I really enjoyed being able to get to know a majority of the players and characters that my characters interacted with. I thought it gave my characters a good overall knowledge about their subjects which ultimately helps them make better decisions on how to run their kingdom/court. How can one lead a people they know nothing about? Not only was I able to get to know a lot of the characters and players that I might not normally interact with, but it offered my character a lot of opportunity for personal growth! Person growth is an integral part of any character and having a position of power opened up more doors to do just that!

Some of the cons of holding any position of power is that it is time consuming. It can take away from time developing your other characters (should you have more than one). It takes time and dedication to keep momentum with all your other characters in addition to balancing the role of leader. Overall, I feel as though I can overcome these difficulties and be successful.

Have you read the Sovereign Rules?
Of course! I believe I have the time, dedication, and will to be a successful Sovereign.

What aspect of Novus are you most excited about?
Novus will always hold a special place in my heart. It was my first myBB game I ever played and each day I log in to post, Novus continues to remind me what a great choice it was to finally join my first forum-type game (instead of the b2g style sites). Each day, I am constantly in owe of all the creative people that can be found in every corner of Novus. Everyone is unique and different both OOC and IC and it creates a beautiful blend of players and characters. No matter why you came to Novus, there’s something for everyone! You want a romance, there are plenty! You want to battle your way to power, there’s that too! You want to post with every player on the game? Start now!

Not only are the possibilities endless, but Novus does a great job of walking that fine line between how much power is too much (which makes the newer players feel lesser or bullied) and offering limitations to keep things more life-like. I love that you have to want to make your character great, it doesn’t happen just because you know people or you can buy your way to power. I love that you actually have to put in the work to be whatever you want to be on Novus! It’s freedom in a unique and special sense.

But not only all of this, but it makes me excited to see what will happen over the next month, year, etc. Novus is a fluid game and lots of things change. The constant SWP or IC Events thrown by all the courts keep things new and fresh and stop Novus from becoming stagnant. I love that.

Sovereign Questions

Why would your character be a good candidate to lead Denocte?
Katniss was bred for leadership, perhaps it all started as a need for a powerful warrior to protect her people, but it morphed into a need to lead, not dominate. Katniss has been raised to lead from the moment her lungs breathed in air. Originally, she was bred to be a warrior, and perhaps that is where her strengths started. She’s got the body, build, and track record of a warrior who has known war her entire life. And yet, there is a softness about Katniss. She has an intense need to protect those around her which holds so true to Denocte ideals. When Katniss attaches herself to a people, she will die for them, no matter what and without a second thought.

From the moment Katniss stepped into Novus, she has pledged herself to Denocte and to Caligo. She has followed them blindly, even if she’s had reservations about those in power that have come before her. Never has her hesitation gotten in the way of her intense need to lead and protect.

This would not be the first time Katniss has lead a people before. On Nocturne, she ruled Beta Corvi until the game finally went under. She led those people successfully and managed to create peace amongst them all. Between her time on Nocturne and Novus, Katniss called Reverie home. She led her people into a time of peace and prosperity in her home called Elysium. In each of these cases, Katniss never saw herself as “queen” or “sovereign”. She always referred to herself as “just Katniss”, ignoring titles that she was rightfully owed. She’s always served her people by making herself approachable. She wants her people to come to her with the small things so they might feel comfortable coming to her with the big ones. Never has Katniss viewed her role as leadership as being above her people, but someone appointed to be their representative. She doesn’t demand money, fancy dwellings, or gold - none of that matters. She just wants her people to trust her and allow her to be there for them, through thick and thin.

And since coming to Novus, Katniss has done so much for Denocte. She’s helped clear the debris from the collapsed mountain road that blocked in the court. She lended aid when Terrastella came to Denocte for shelter after devastating floods. She even helped save the court when Raum sent spies to burn down Denocte’s food stores. She’s been with Denocte ever step of the way, through Isra, Antiope, and Morrighan’s rules. She’s been Denocte’s Champion of Battle since very shortly after her arrival here. Katniss has devoted her life to Denocte and it’s now time for her to step up and lead.

Katniss is not here to dictate. She’s here to listen to her people’s voices and respond. She’s here to be their leader, yes, but also their friend. She wants to lead Denocte into a time of peace and prosperity where she can showcase Denocte and all of the things that make Night Court unique.

What would be their goals as Sovereign? What would they do with their new power?
Katniss knows that an integral part of a court’s success is being present, not just in name but in activity. She wants to align her court with individuals that will be active enough in order to bring the court together, not tear it apart. She also wants to ensure that her court knows her more than just a name on the wind or a fleeting interaction of the past. She wants to get to know each and every member, from the oldest of the elders to the newest of Denoct’s children. The only way to accomplish that is by speaking to each one as an individual. She wants to thread with each and every member at least once. She wants to put a face to a name, to learn their strengths, so she can help them figure out where their talents will be most useful.

As a warrior, she cannot deny the need to protect her own boarders. She wants to set up a milia of sorts, to be ready should any conflict arise. She wants to station beacons around Denocte (perhaps made of fire or colorful magical smoke or perhaps an alarm type system) so if a problem arises, she can quickly get word across the whole court so she doesn’t have to waste time when there really isn’t time to waste. While boarder protection will always be a high priority to keep her people safe, it is not the only thing she values.

Despite what some might think, Katniss is very much a diplomat. She wants to have discussions with each sovereign and get to know them on a personal level. Not only does it help her get a feel for who might be a potential ally, but it can help her get an inkling if they might be thinking ill of Denocte. She plans to work hand-in-hand with her Emissary in order to ensure all inter-court relations are documented and kept up with. She doesn’t want anyway to fall under the radar.

But perhaps one of her greatest goals is to keep Denocte as the entertaining hub as it was meant to be. She wants to throw parties and events regularly. She wants to showcase the entertainers and entertainment that Denocte is known for. Even though she is a soldier by trade, she has an appreciation for the arts that has always drawn a smile to her face. She wants happiness for all those in Denocte. Entertaining is a great way to bring happiness and a sense of togetherness.

You've got us convinced. Is there anything else you'd like to add?
Despite the outcome, each and every one of you (both characters and players) have been a joy to get to know! I hope to continue this even after the voting has concluded. Even if you don’t want Katniss as your sovereign, I sincerely hope to still thread with each and every one of you. That desire will never change! Best your best self and live your best life!

Messages In This Thread
RE: from the void [SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS] - by Ira - 01-05-2021, 03:36 PM
RE: from the void [SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS] - by Kassandra - 01-10-2021, 07:13 PM
RE: from the void [SOVEREIGN AUDITIONS] - by Katniss - 01-10-2021, 07:47 PM