Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Fire At My Feet

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline wild / jet [PM] Posts: 85 — Threads: 12
Signos: 1,300
Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

art by vivihal
Jane
Accepting her lot as easily as she could, Jane was glad for the mattress beneath her. Firm and unforgiving, on frames that seemed tinkered together by the hopes and prayers of those who had fallen before her, they allowed some small respite from the anxieties that plagued her subconscious as well as her conscious. She was a court-trained mare, all Jane knew how to do was gossip and look pretty. Stand silent as long as the men looked your way, bite when the women did. She knew nothing of the ways of merchants and she had no skills that she could sell to keep her young (young? So infernally old and yet as young and fresh as the new redcurrants that had burst in certain gardens.) 

Jane tried more for her own sake than Veil’s to quell the fear. It didn’t help anyone to panic, this much she had learnt, and Jane had faith that she would come out on top. Maybe she would even find someone to lend her a hand up-

No. She wasn’t even worth charity anymore. She had been, two hours ago, the poor unruly girl by Evis who had shamed her father’s family to the point of being forced to leave. Jane, who had been taken in on family obligation rather than any real love for her. Jane looked across the room to Veil, who seemed quite fascinated by the concept of beds. Her hoof, immaculate and otherworldly, pressed into the ratty mattress that had probably been home to more than just equines, before tumbling like a foal into the bed. Veil’s legs seemed to concave beneath her, and Jane felt again that sense of trust between them.

Veil was her family now. We’re going to figure this out, Stargirl. Just you wait; a few bad months and then we’ll be dining with Adonai and Ira. Bitter spite pushed Jane from her bed. If she wanted to reach Adonai’s dinner table then she would need to eat for tonight first. Tomorrow, she would go down to the markets and look for whatever work was available. Jane would need to take care that her gentlewoman learning would not mark her either a fool or a coward, but it surely wouldn’t be too hard. 

Jane turned to see Veil stumbling out of the bed, her body gangly and new like a child. Jane reached out to catch her weight; large brown flank pushing up against the Nebula’s effervescent feathers. “Careful, Veil, you’re a horse now. We bleed down here.” She nudged her nose into Veil Nebula’s shoulder like an older sister before stepping back.

Then she went out into the street, leaving a coin on the counter before waiting for Veil to join her in the street.

Tagged; @Veil Nebula. Ooc; she and veil have the Best bond

i've never felt more alone
it feels so scary getting old

Messages In This Thread
Fire At My Feet - by Jane - 03-12-2021, 04:18 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Veil Nebula - 03-13-2021, 12:03 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Jane - 04-05-2021, 03:57 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Veil Nebula - 04-06-2021, 06:43 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Jane - 04-09-2021, 11:01 AM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Veil Nebula - 07-12-2021, 12:09 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Jane - 07-13-2021, 03:15 PM
RE: Fire At My Feet - by Veil Nebula - 07-14-2021, 01:47 AM