Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Long, long road

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 132 — Threads: 23
Signos: 6,637
Night Court Medic
Female [She/Her/Hers/We]  |  Immortal [Year 497 Spring]  |  15 hh  |  Hth: 32 — Atk: 28 — Exp: 70  |    Active Magic: Breath of Life  |    Bonded: Tiana (Soul-Spirit)

Caelum
hey, say you got a long, long road you're travellin'
so just follow that track, send a postcard back
and you'll be okay
There was a slight difference of opinion.

Or perhaps, rather, a difference in acceptance. Caelum let her gaze lower, let those chocolate eyes stare over the dirt floor, shuffling a lone pebble slightly as her friend spoke of having others lost, leave her. It was hard, it was unbelievably hard. It left an ache, a fear of repetition. Each time she fell in love, the sacrifice, in the end, was greater. Arson cost her her first love. She'd fallen head over hoof for the commoner colt, the two grew up together, embraced the world together. The commoner prince, they'd called him when the courts accepted their relationship. Her mother had loved Arson too. His death had been sudden, tragic, hard to take. A foolish set of scoundrels - trying to collect on the price a pair of fairy wings could fetch. He'd given his life to ensure her own escape.

She'd cried for weeks.

And then, then she'd met her beloved Tremaine. She remembered that whirlwind romance. The chaos that had come from it. They'd met so randomly, he had offered to show her around the new lands. She remembered that friendship turning into something more precious. His teasing, his attention, his love for her. He'd taken her to a carnival on that final day they had together. She remembered the laughter, the oohing, and aahing over different acrobatics. She had nibbled on a candied apple he'd bought, one of his wings wrapped around her body to keep her close, as he told some joke that had her laughing and him smirking a fangy grin to hear that laugh. The swift change that night had been sudden. The screams. The fear. His concern for her. She saw the desire to defend in his eyes, even as he ran to hide with her. She remembered those moments deep in her heart. She remembered the warped mirrors of the funhouse as they stayed in the center. She remembered the taunts as those pillagers, thieves, captors approached them. He'd kept himself in front of her, fire flaming from his limbs, a demon-horse rising up on his hind legs, ready to take them on for her.

Her dark knight.

She remembered that bloody fight, she remembered refusing to back down, she'd leaped into the fight when he'd been struck down, crashing into the stallion about to kill her Trey. He'd shouted her name, told her to escape. She'd ignored him, standing in his defense until he was able to get to his own legs. He'd accepted she was going to stay at his side by then, the two standing hip to hip, as they were surrounded, ready to stare down. The attack would then come all at once, and she'd fought hard to protect Trey's back, as he used his greater powers, his own hellfire magic to defend them both. He'd kill two of the three stallions with that very fire when he was finally struck down.

Time had stopped for her.

She remembered rushing to his side, blood spilling, his eyes going dim, his breath-stopping. She remembered shouting his name, pressing her muzzle to his side. And then she remembered a bright light, the feel of summer on her skin, and then that summer heightened, that heat grew dominant, boiling, angry, swirling chaos, and then nothing until it faded, and she was alone with the final tyrant down to the ground. She'd cried next to Trey's body until the cackling told her she wasn't really alone. And then, she'd been knocked out, awoke later in a pen, tied down by a limb, in a place for the selling of slaves. Horses meandered, laughing coldly; while others hid in the corner of their meager shelters. Trey had cost her, her soulmate, and her freedom.

She had met Calico in this land.

He'd saved her from the life of a slave, and they'd built a new kingdom together, rescuing other slaves, providing shelter, safety, peace. Somewhere along the way they'd admitted a casual attraction that bloomed, not into a true and deep love like she had with Tremaine, but still a peaceful happiness that had warmed her heart, and soothed the pain. Her son had furthered the shielding of old wounds, his bright, innocent face. But even that wouldn't last, not when the other masters had learned where they were, had sought to fight back, to destroy what she and Calico had built. This time, that love had cost her another mate, her son, the majority of those slaves they had rescued, the safe kingdom she and Calico had built, her parents lives, the lives of Caelums People - The Summer Court Fae Steeds, and her home realm, kingdom, her birth right.

That final time had stolen everything from Caelum, leaving her alone in a cold, and empty world.

She didn't want to find out what would happen next, what she would lose the next time she gave in to that foolish emotion. She smiled softly to her friend, "Yes, you are right, I wont have accepted that yet, perhaps for not a long time. And I do know I'm not spent, truly. But . . . would it be more selfish that I deny myself love, or that I give into it, no matter the consequences in the end?" And then, she paused, "Wait, wait, what about after Rhone? What about now? Friends don't keep secrets Lu! Have you . . . . met someone?" She asked with clear excitement. Of course there was the hidden assist of this distracting from her own calamity. If she should find herself foolishly feeling those emotions again, she'd deal with it then.

She did pause when her friend spoke again, however.

She tilted her head quietly, frowning slightly, "Oh, I would never deny that I deserve happiness, but I don't need a stallion to make me happy. I have you, dear friend, and I'm to going to let you disappear any time soon. And I have my tea shop as well!" She retorted, smiling in reassurance, though the talk of how long Lu had left, always made her heart constrict. Her ears flicked, her wings trembled slightly against her spine, and so she focused on what she could do to help her friend, "You don't need to thank me, what else are friends for? You should know I will always be willing to help, even if it's as simple as helping you make up medicine for others."

She couldn't help but speak on her teashop, however.

Her eyes brightened as she smiled suddenly, "Oh, the markets would be a good idea, I might be able to find all kinds of things indeed! That would be fabulous, I must search through wares when it's time for me to head back to the shop then. I can always hope my magic will eventually awaken enough to rework plants and encourage them to form what I want on their own." She added, eyes shining with excitement, "Which means all kinds of tapestry would be all I'd need to purchase. Beautiful silks to hang from the rafters, create a warm, airy and vibrant shop!"

How needed romance, when you have a dream.

"Speech"
Thoughts
@Luvena
Notes: <3

hey, say you got a long, long road you're travellin'
and if you feel unsure, well i been there before
and you'll be okay now
art by bingo

Messages In This Thread
Long, long road - by Caelum - 08-20-2021, 07:13 PM
RE: Long, long road - by Luvena - 08-20-2021, 09:04 PM
RE: Long, long road - by Caelum - 08-20-2021, 10:44 PM