Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The Court of Dreams —

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Seree

The equine of dark-hues was in-fact, wholly unconscious when the loud call resounded. They had been having rather pleasant dreams, ones that involved a mysterious partner who lured them into a tango in a way that seemed so overpowering and meaning to show dominance, only for Seree to eagerly accept the offer with a bounding leap and a laugh, throwing the mysterious stranger off their hooves and allowing the antlered horse to take the lead.

The two of them had been dancing for many days and nights in the dream, the mysterious figure having recovered from the shock, and since found themselves unable to help laughing and joining in the festivities as the two of them stomped and reared and ducked and spun. At some point, the stranger had been crashing rocks together to create a beat and a rhythm other than the one in their hooves, and Seree had taken the melody over with their voice, strong and clear. Perhaps not the best singing voice, but it was full of life and made its presence known as song, so it made for good music to dance to when the only requirement was having fun.

Alas, as the cry of the Sovereign ripped throughout the land, the mysterious figure bid farewell until the next dance and the antlered equine was roused from slumber with bleary eyes yet a content smile upon their lips. They yawned as the stallion roared a second time, and then a third, taking their time stretching as they rose to their hooves with a shake of their flanks. Another yawn later, a smacking of the lips, and they decided they might as well set off in the direction of the call, lest their curiosity drive them mad.

At some point, the wind in their mane became too much of a treat to pass up, and the walk broke into a trot, then a dead gallop for a short portion of the distance, a whinny breaking free as they felt their hair whipped about behind them, the slight breeze coupled with the air picked up by their speed winding through the strands to caress the roots and their flesh with silky cool fingers.

They had slowed into an easy trot by the time they approached the gathering place, breath still a tad more rapid and deeper than required but all other evidence of their break into childish delight at the feeling of the wind on their face erased. They hadn't even broken a sweat, it was cool tonight.

Green eyes perked up, brighter and far clearer than they had been before, now roused from bleariness by the exertion and the time it had been since they woke. The emerald orbs seemed to glimmer as bright and clearly as the gems they resembled, filled with interest and excitement as they took in all the many gathered here before the Sovereign.

Their first thoughts were not of what the cause for the summons was. But rather, of how many faces it seemed they had yet to learn.

They knew of Reichenbach, who didn't? And they remembered Aislinn from the cliffside, but all the others were brand new. Some, from the way they interacted so casually amongst themselves, were far from new, and so it seemed that Seree was the one who had yet to meet them as the new member, rather than the other way around. But some seemed even newer than they, if the body language that spoke of unfamiliarity was anything to go by.

Most seemed involved in some conversation with others, seeming to have grouped themselves off.

But there was one who looked a little lonely, and was a face yet unfamiliar to the equine.

A face of youth, no less.

Ears perked up and the antlered equine wasted no time in walking themselves over to the youth who seemed to be ready to protest at something another had said. But the young one still seemed to hold their tongue. Well, if they did not want to speak whatever was on their mind, perhaps the Caretaker could give them something else to say, something they ought to know well.

They gave a nickering greeting as they came to stand at the youth's side, eyes crinkled up as they gave a friendly smile, tilting their head just a little.

"Hello there! I'm afraid we haven't met, although right now I must say to do so is a pleasure. My name is Seree, Seree Quyi, what is yours?"

It wasn't patronizing. Wasn't degrading. Just friendly, and if the way the horse's ears were cocked forwards, head leaned in just a bit, and eyes were paying quite rapt attention to the youth were any indication, their interest and want to hear what the younger equine had to say were far from faked.

@Reichenbach @Raglan

OOC: A. Seree gets to meet Raglan. B. Everyone else seems to be pairing off into conversations, I wanna be cool and do that too. ;-;

Araxes

ARAXES
tender heart

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh no. Oh dear.

Araxes stumbled and staggered a little as she wriggled her way out of her little confined area, hooves kicking a little and bucking before she popped free from between the two pillars she'd managed to get stuck in. The sudden freedom had her sliding on the floor with her hooves splayed, wings wide and flapping as her head drew up before she shook herself off quickly, sending her mane and tail flipping and flopping, and her poor wings losing feathers.

The call had startled her from her little reading, mostly in an attempt to figure out why she was feeling a little queasy now and again lately. It was nothing horrendous, but it made her cringe, and she hoped she wasn't coming down with anything.

All the same she pushed herself forward, breaking in to a trot toward where she had heard the call, creeping around a corner almost shyly and peeking with just her head, wings opened and eyes curious. There were plenty of others already there, and it made her all the more aware of how she was late for this meeting.

The most the poor bespeckled girl could do was clear her throat softly and walk in around the corner, her head a little low and a small sheepish look on her face. "S-sorry. I.. lost track of the time a bit. I was reading." She had heard the call and it hadn't processed for a few moments, obviously. All the same, she took a position somewhere near Reich, her head turning to look toward others and her wings suddenly folding very neatly, attempting to tuck away and hide as she shifted, causing the loose locks of mane to fall over them, and her face.

she's so late and so sorry

Reichenbach

REICHENBACH ERWIN ROMMEL

The sounds of revelry and laughter filled the air, lilting music and the clink of coins, the roar of flame tricks and the tap and clap of dancers, gymnasts, silk-dancers... It was a glorious mess of wild things. Yet at his call the sounds dimmed, still present, but quieter, as if they had all set down their flames and song to listen - and he was proud, that great heart swelling as he saw the gleam of respect and love in their eyes. The Night King's silver eyes glitter in the firelight, a whole world swallowed by smoke and sterling, following Aislinn as she struck a path through the crowd. It was hard not to get drunk on the world when she was near - when song and dance thrummed a rhythm into his blood. Such was the nature of Denocte's parties - they got you drunk, drunk and high and ready to do things regardless of the consequences. 

His gaze shifted, following several trailing bodies through the crowd. Hugan arrived, receiving a grin and dip of his curly haired head, then Margot, who received the same, albeit a gentler, softer version. Then Camdis arrived, simultaneously relaxing and amping up the inky haired Sovereign. He returned the friendly shoulder bump, grinning a little chaotically, turning his argent gaze to Raglan as he scrutinised the boy, 

"I'd be disappointed if they didn't already know"

Firelight glinted off of his bone white teeth as he grinned, sharing an amused glance with Camdis.

"Some might say cranky... I say cantankerous" 

The word slid off his tongue smoothly, an easy laugh booming from his black lips. That mirthful laugh was lost amongst the sound of Rostislav's booming yell, his rugged yet still handsome face appearing as he pushed his way through the crowd. Reichenbach laughed, a pure sound, grinning at Rosti as he approached. Around them small groups were forming, friends within the crowd of wild things, some only meeting for the first time. Noticing everything, Reichenbach noted the arrival of Mila (Lavinia surely not far behind, though the wilder twin may have been seducing some much older gentleman, as she was known to do), Lumaris and Lyra, Seree and finally, Araxes. 

He watched the sweet mare curl her way around the corner and close to his side, a small amount of concern creasing his brow as she tucked her delicate wings behind and amongst her soft hair. "Rostislav you old drunk, have you been pre-drinking" he laughed, subtly moving closer to Araxes as he offered her a broad shoulder to tuck close to. "I'd better start before your magic flask ensnares me" he flashed another grin, stepping forward as shadows creeped alongside him.

"Night Court" he boomed, grinning as he embraced them all with his bright gaze. 

"Once again you have made this a night to remember! - or not remember, in Rosti's case - I will make business quick so that you may enjoy Calligo's blissful night! May I announce to you, our new Court:

Camdis Lohir, your new regent. Lothaire - our emissary, currently away on business. Rostislav-"

A cheer went up from several voices in the crowd, probably soldiers already enamoured with their new, jovial warden. 

"-Warden." 

The three names were known to most at Court - some potentially already knew the three men had gained positions and titles, but the following four would be unknown to almost all.

"Our new Champion of Battle - Aislinn Stormsinger!" The Night King looked directly to the fierce woman, dipping his head and grinning through the firelight directly at her. Jasmine and smoke was heavy in the air, swallowing the crowd. Reichenbach looked away, and then as if he wanted one more look, he glanced back, memorised the picture of her there within the flame and shadow. Calligo help whoever hurt Aislinn Stormsinger. 

"Our new Champion of Wisdom - Araxes!" he glanced down to the winged head beside him, then to the elder scholars who didn't look entirely impressed. Out with the old blood, in with the new - it was how Denocte worked, and as scholars they should have known that.

"Our new Champion of Healing - Seree!" Reichenbach searched the crowd with silver eyes, searching for Seree Quyi - new to Calligo's embrace but looking, as always, as if he had been birthed from her shadows. Healing had been a difficult choice, Denoctian's could be careless at times, they rarely looked after themselves and for that reason they had few healers in their ranks. Seree had knowledge from his own Court to combine with their own, yet -- "Hugan will be second-in-command, ready to take up the mantle if need be." Hugan was a foreign healer, someone that would be able to provide new, fresh information and techniques. 

"Our new Champion of Community - Lyra!" His gaze sought out the subtle sapphire woman, dipping his head with a pleasant smile. No doubt she would be surprised to find herself in such a position - but he had watched her, subtly, from the shadows, and found her worthy. 

Announcements over, the Sovereign finished with an easy;

"May we always serve you well."

@Camdis @Rostislav @Aislinn @Araxes @Seree @Hugan @Lyra 
Welcome our new Court! 

Aislinn

Aislinn 
magical, wild thing you are

Defiant and proud; a pillar of stone against a battering stormy sea. The embodiment of of falling stars and hurricanes. Standing on the edge of the fray, she was at the perfect vantage point to watch over the crowd gathered beneath the darkness and smoke. She panted until her breathing slowed; taking deep inhales of the cool night air, heavy with the musk of bonfires and jasmine. A scent that was much too close to what his skin smelled like; the warmth that had flooded over her where his lips touched her a phantom that continued to haunt her.

Her gaze never faltered from the dais, a silent watcher, noting all of the little details. She watched from the edge of the firelight as the red-horned man joined their king, a younger looking boy in tow. Emotionless, until a boisterous figure accompanied them — Rostislav, she realized, with a grin toying with her lips at the sight of him. The brute stallion she had fought on a clear night very similar to this; with a familiar hound not far behind him. Although he did not see her from across the market square, Aislinn couldn't help but dip her crown momentarily in mutual respect for a fellow soldier, much like the handsome man of stars and smoke at his side —

Your eyes haven't left him, have they?

Surprise like sharp and tangy candy hit the warrior-gypsy as she realized someone was speaking to her. Blinking against the heavy smoke, she took note of a small-but-mighty little thing that had gathered next to her on the stairs. Not directly looking at her, but too close to have spoken to someone else. Aislinn's eyes searched to find a shred of familiarity to the young girl; to her strong and delicate frame, red and gold like a ghost of scorched deserts and hot summer nights. No.. she could not place her, but she surely would not forget her all the same.

With a smirk, she huffed and continued her watch on the crowd, half a thought of ignoring her entirely. Instead, she replied. "As is my duty to watch over the King and his people," Aislinn retorted, a little too tightly; blatantly ignoring the obvious context to the girl's words. She had successfully been able to keep the memory of his voice out of her head, the record finally broken; the shadow of his kiss on her wing nearly vanished.

But all too soon did they begin to flood back to her as the Night King addressed them all. The Court of Dreamers they were; reunited under a sea of shining stars and blessed by the Goddess. Much like the night Aislinn regreted, where she had said and unsaid all of the nothings and somethings running wildly in her heart. One by one, she half-listened as Reichenbach began to announce the new members to join his council.. the true Court of Dreams. Her ears pricked as Rostislav was named their Warden; and with a swollen heart, she was overall glad to know she would be working closely with a capable warrior such as himself. 

Aislinn, I would like for you to be our — I'm in love with — we aren't.. can't —

Her lip curled at the memory, shaking her wild starlight-colored mane to rid the voices from her thoughts. Her features were neutral once more when he finally looked at her — really looked at her — through the dancing firelight across the square. She could not help but quiver internally as his deep voice resonated with her name; and not just any name, but her kinvadantee title gifted to her by the Rahilah Crone. Her heart jumped into her throat as her azure orbs met with his of molten silver; dipping her crown in answer, and nothing else. No emotion, no tears, no visible heartache.

When his announcements had ceased, and the revelry had begun anew, Aislinn finally took her leave and stepped down into the thick of the crowd. Her blood still sang for music and dance and freedom, and with lighter hooves, she moved again, her body matching the drums beating around them. Embers reached for the stars as Calligo smiled down on them all; as a gypsy woman danced to forget, to lose herself entirely. She should be delighted, happy even.. but the lingering ache was a shadow still sewed into her soul. With a shriek of laughter — not completely a lie — Aislinn used the tendrils of her mind to lift a glass of summer wine from a nearby table, downing it in it's entirety. For she was the Champion of Battle; and although duty called to her, she instead tried to take a moment for herself. A foolish one, but still a moment.

@reichenbach @camdis @Raglan @rostislav @mila all mentioned c: Directly speaks to @Mila!
"Aislinn speech."

Rostislav

The revelry pulses through me, and my joy cannot be diminished. I murmur words to Camdis, enthusiasm swirling around me, then try to catch Aislinn's gaze. SHE only has eyes for Reichenbach. I don't stop to think about what the gaze means or doesn't mean. That would require speculation and my mind is one hundred percent elsewhere. Perhaps I'll greet Aislinn later. I still don't know anyone else here, not really. Those that I had thought lived in the Night Court are not present. Was I mistaken? Were they absent, or had they left? Things change.. after all, I'd left the Sun Court. Reichenbach accuses me of pre-drinking. "It's called pre-gaming, and I would never dare start without you!" I guffaw, winking at him mischeviously.

I'm about to go introduce myself to the others present at the gathering. Before I can take a step, the bay King calls out to us all, quickly grabbing everyone's attention. There's no question of whether to listen or not, we are all drawn to him. Why else would he be king? I knew him before he was crowned sovereign, and even then I'd loved him. My silver eyes are bright as I watch him, rather fluffy ears tilted forward. He begins to announce the court - Camdis Lohir, Lothaire, Rostislav. Of course I'm not surprised to hear my name, as Reich had already asked me to be his Warden. Camdis, I did not know was Regent. I holler at the announcement. Lothaire - hadn't I met him once, when I was searching for the relic? I couldn't quite recall, but the name was not entirely foreign to me.

He goes on to announce the champions. I catch Aislinn's eye this time as she is named the Champion of Battle. She bested me in our spar, and though my pride smarted at the thought, I did not let it affect the beaming grin I shoot her way. I will be glad to have such a sassy and capable woman as second. Araxes... I recognize that name, too. The mare with the little wings behind her ears? The other names mentioned are unfamiliar, and I make a mental note to meet and learn more about Seree, Hugan, and Lyra.

He finishes his pronouncements, and I give another loud cheer. I glance to my flask, expecting it to be empty, expecting to feel disappointment at the lack of vodka. I'd been horrible about collecting fruit to ferment, and had thus been living in forced sobriety for... over a season, at the least. HORRIBLE. But when I lift the lid.... "HOLY SHIT!" I gasp, my voice ringing out. Of course it might have been appropriate to say 'praise Caligo', but I am neither politically correct nor do I maintain proper decorum (and never will). In my flask is a dark colored liquid. I sniff it, recognizing the scent of wine. I lift it to my lips and take a sip - a red, not sweet but neither too dry. Rich. I take a long swig, then watch as it refills. "FUCK YES!!" I lift the flask with my mind to show Reichenbach and Camdis. "I HAVE ALCOHOL!"

My voice will be raw from screaming before the night is over. And once more I shall be drunk as hell, and at last put in the final piece of the puzzle. Perhaps, if they ask nicely, I will even share.

WC: 567
Tag: everyone

Rosti thoughts | "Rosti speech" | Damaris mindspeak

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Camdis

He chuckled in response to Reichenbach's velvety reply, ever surprised by the sovereign's unique ability to light a flame beneath his chocolate and scarlet skin. Cantankerous was never a word that he would use to describe himself, but then again, Camdis had never taken much time to focus on his personal adjectives - he would rather use what spare time he had pondering and reading, wandering and learning to breathe again. Inhaling deeply, the stallion relished the scents of Denocte proper; cinnamon and sage, jasmine and poppy, nightflowers and smoke, all undercut by the scent of joy and sweat as the revelers and members of their court - His court - celebrated the succession of their beloved nation. 

His chest swelled with emotion and his eyes burned with the effort not to well with tears. Pupils expanding and heart pounding against his ribs, Camdis felt his gaze sweep over those gathered, eyeing each in turn but without truly seeing them. No, he was too caught up in the moment, in the understanding and realization that he truly did love this country and it's people, not just the goddess that he adored and feared in equal measure. This was what a king was supposed to feel for his nation, this overwhelming wave of duty and pride, of love and honor. 

It was a new sensation, to feel as if one belonged. 

Whatever thoughts may have stemmed from such a realization were stoppered, however, as the sound of his and Reichenbach's name crashed over the crowd and a familiar face came barreling toward the two members of council. Camdis noticed the rather large and rather glowy canine that followed at his friend's heels and gave the creature a nod before his face split into a grin, silvery eyes sparkling with mirth. "Rostislav!" Came his greeting, echoing Reichenbach's own and matching it for elation. With a hearty laugh and a bump of the horned stallion on the neck in camaraderie, he forgot to be concerned about whether or not his friend could be punished for venturing into the Night Court from his home in Day,  "You old goat, where have you been?" He motioned with his scarlet painted skull toward the winged Raglan at his side, the boy now accompanied by an equine with an air of joviality, "You must meet my ward, his --"

His words were cut off by the sound of Reichenbach's booming summons, the sovereign's already massive presence growing to encompass the entirety of the square. The citizens gathered fell silent as their beloved Orphan King proclaimed the rankings and appointments of his Court, Camdis shocked to hear a few whoops and yells as he was announced as Regent. Shooting a smile at Raglan and Rostislav, the stallion returned Rosti's support with a shocked holler of his own as his friend was announced the Warden of Denocte. 

"You nit!" Came his laughing response as he aimed to bump the man's neck with his nose again, eyes wide with surprise and excitement, "When did you change your citizenship? Congratulations, Warden," As the drunken stallion rejoiced at his flask, Camdis could only chuckle and shake his head, floored by the wonderful impossibility of it all. 

@Reichenbach @Rostislav @Seree (mentioned)

Here have this terrible horrible post as i try to recover from the brink of death

Seree

Green eyes took in the proceedings with an excited glimmer.

How very exciting. They had yet to receive a reply from the youth they had spoken to, but they remained at his side nonetheless, an ease in their stance as they stood close, but not quite so close as to be overly intrusive. They were familiar with only one of the three who seemed to hold the highest ranks under the Sovereign, but couldn't help the quiet chuckle that spilled from their lips at a memory of a night previous.

Yes, Rostislav would make an excellent Warden. He certainly seemed to know when aggressive strangers were ahoof in any case. Perhaps that luck would lead him to doing well in his duties. They certainly hoped so at the very least.

But then came announcements they were unprepared for.

Names currently meant little to them but faces were images that spoke a thousand words.

When they first heard the word 'Battle' come from the man's lips, they resigned themselves to a brute of an equine. Some burlish and unkind soul that they would no doubt struggle to be amicable with, given their past experiences with those of battle. Nothing too marked as to have left trauma or some significant impact of note in their life. Merely the day-to-day interactions that left them more than a little fed up with those warriors around them.

But the first thing they noticed was that the name was effeminate. Such a thing meant little, they were well familiar with the fact that given sex and name had little to do with personality.

But then they saw to whom the congratulations were directed, and their eyes lit up in recognition.

No, they did not know this woman well, but they had met her before. And she seemed... like a warrior.

No, not a warrior.

A warrior was a fighter in the horse's mind, an attacker. Something they would always associate with their birthplace.

This woman struck them more like a knight.

Not afraid of toil or bloodshed, but not unkind either. She struck them as having an ability for tenderness that they had found uncommon in combatants. They did not know her well, and had only met her for a brief period, but she seemed far more amicable than those the equine had been anticipating to be put into the role.

They couldn't hide the smile.

The Champion of Wisdom was again unknown to them, and they brushed it off with only polite applause as they had given the others they did not know well.

But then came the biggest surprise of them all.

"Our new Champion of Healing - Seree!"

Once the initial shock faded, they were not quite sure what they felt. They had never had any experience in leading before, their flighty nature as of yet more inclined to be the leader of a dance than the leader of any real, long-term task. But here they were, it seemed. And at the same time, they felt a rush of pleased flattery.

They did not know most of these horses well, and they knew that Reichenbach did not know them well. They had met the man for a time, but that time was little. And, to be trusted with such a task nonetheless?

They couldn't help the smile.

Nor could they help the sigh of relief when they were told they were to take on a second-in-command. They had little experience in leading, and they would no doubt find the help more than, well, helpful.

And besides, if something were to spark the fire within them that drove them to leave, they would be able to do so knowing that they left the Court behind in safe hooves to care for them. They could vanish without guilt if the winds changed and the tides called them off.

Well, without too much guilt, anyways.

But with the announcements drawing to a close, they only dipped their head with a smile as they followed the initiative of the Sovereign. And then, well, the formalities were over, were they not?

Their blood sung with the need to dance.

But first, the youth. The poor dear had yet to reply, no doubt cut off by the Sovereign's words.

Emerald orbs flickered in his direction once more.

Perhaps... they could convince him to take to the floor with them.

Perhaps they were no leader of order, but they could lead the tango and waltz as well as any danseur.

@Raglan

OOC: Seree is going to be dragging Raglan into a dance if he doesn't back out soon xD

Aislinn

Aislinn 
magical, wild thing you are

Oh, how she danced.

A hurricane woven into flesh, storm clouds kissing her skin, stardust running through her veins, and lightning in her bones, the fae danced. Her hooves light and revelry singing to her and the summer wine coursing through her blood. Embers kicked up with every beat of her hooves on the earth, the cries and laughter of the fire dancers beating with every pump of her heart, and every beat of the drums that rumbled all around them. She was cocooned in music, and celebration; drunk on the warmth and dance, sweat sticking to her night-blessed skin and elated like any child of the Night should ever be.

She no longer cared to hear the deep rumble of laughter from the dais, from her regime, from her king. Oh no, for she no longer anything except for her own joy, however precious it was. Her laughter musical and bell-like and loud. No longer caged, but free. She moved with grace and liquidity, her movements precise as she waltzed with every partner that stepped before her. And suddenly, the stormsinger was outside of the fray, wine thick in her blood and her thoughts mistier than morning mountains. Her breath was hot and heavy, panting through her nostrils, her lungs craving the sweet bliss of night air that was tainted by the musk of smoke from the bonfires. She stood on the outskirts of the market square, Calligo's shadows and stars cool on her skin, sending shivers down her spine, down her legs, down every single feather on each of her great wings.

And then, the lake called to her; sweet and lovely, and she was gone. Only the soft sounds of her laughter and an empty glass of wine left in her place.

Anddddd this rolls right into the events of this thread meow c:
"Aislinn speech."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »