Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Opening the Gates

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

No man was ever wise by chance.
Somnus’ amused smile remained. While Sloane seemed rough around the edges, as though only capable of thrusting up a defiant, stubborn front, Somnus knew better. She was so much more than she gave herself credit for, and he did not feel threatened by her for even a single degree.

All it took was a single statement, a proclamation of ’bastards are everywhere’, for Somnus to realize just what Sloane might be looking for. Dark deeds across Delumine, secrets she could whisper for power. A self-proclaimed manipulator, perhaps? Funny, for Delumine had nothing to hide, yet it was cautious for someone to try and snatch a way to ruin their own Court.

“Ah, Sloane,” he remarked along the deep rumbles of a chuckle, “Not everyone gives in to temptation, even a monk who vowed abstinence to appease his patron deity. ‘Body and soul’, he had promised to Oriens.” The dunalino’s verdant eyes glanced sidelong to Sloane, that knowing smile still in place. Let her think of it as she wanted. Something told him that no matter what he said, Sloane would create her own facts. “Now, there are also recollections of his clergymen and their respective families, as well as noble houses rising up throughout the years, all dating down to His Majesty Kasil, the sovereign before myself. Perhaps you’ll find something that tickles your fancy.”

Somnus wondered, briefly, what Kasil would have thought of Sloane. Distrust, probably, given her self-proclaimed cunning and secretive nature. Kasil had been far more a paranoid man than Somnus was, and rightly so. Their years of kingship were vastly different. It still hurt to think of the bay stallion, and so just as quickly as the thought arrived, he willed it away.

When Sloane stepped up to his side, scanned the scrolls and tomes, only to snatch one with her teeth and retire to one of the tables to read, Somnus allowed her to go. He glanced back towards the shelves, hummed a little under his breath, and then turned on his haunches to step towards the exit. No word of gratitude was needed. Sloane was nothing if not predictable.

“Do enjoy your reading, my dear. I hope you find what you are looking for. Good day.” With a momentary glance and a grin in her direction, the Dawn King ambled out of the room with a flick of the tail. Alba remained perched upon her bond-mate’s croup, watching Sloane until the point where the woman was out of her view. Only then did the barn owl turn about face, head tilting.

’Do you expect treason?’ Somnus’ smile slipped away at Alba’s inquiry, a golden ear tilting back in her direction. Together they wandered back down the hallways, the Library helpers scurrying away and doing their best to remain out from under passing feet. It was only when they had left Sloane far, far behind him that Somnus answered.

“What a positively queer question, my dear. I’m afraid I’ve yet to form an answer.” And that was that.

tag: @Sloane

Somnus' exit post.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
Opening the Gates - by Somnus - 01-10-2019, 01:10 AM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Sloane - 02-04-2019, 08:21 AM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Somnus - 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Sloane - 02-08-2019, 05:35 PM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Somnus - 02-18-2019, 02:14 AM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Sloane - 02-18-2019, 06:34 PM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Somnus - 02-19-2019, 09:50 PM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Sloane - 02-24-2019, 07:19 PM
RE: Opening the Gates - by Somnus - 02-25-2019, 08:25 PM