Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - should i grow weary of the dark

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

He wondered, at times, about destiny.

As an inexperienced youth, he had believed his destiny to be upon the winds of the world, traveling from place to place like an altruistic vagabond. Eagerly he had learned the workings of the world, insatiable in his lust and appetite for knowledge, for learning, for experiencing. He had dined with warriors, thieves, gypsies, and nobles, seeking their council, learning their truths and their lies. It had been in that youth where he had met Ulric, rough-and-tumble though he was, full of piss and sarcasm but far older than his years. Crippled with only one useful wing, they had found a mutual kinship between them, each yearning for something far more than what had originally been offered. Even when their inevitable parting had come, it would not be the last time that they would meet.

Then, he had thought his fate belonged at the side of his Vhallen King. Loyal and devoted to a fault, Somnus had sworn fealty to the late-King, sworn to guide and protect him. Chamberlain and advisor, he had quickly adapted to court life, thriving as a strategist, always thinking, always planning, offering a word of advice or understanding when his King’s stresses were paramount. Then, his King had fallen in the overthrow of Vhallen, leaving Somnus without purpose or hope. Heartbroken as he was, he continued on, until finding Novus, and in turn, Delumine.

Old friends were found. New friends were made. There had yet to be enemies, but for that, Somnus was grateful. He had settled in among the Dawn Court with hesitant eagerness, terrified to believe that maybe here would serve as his destiny. He thrived with purpose, with understanding, with usefulness, and while at times he struggled, he was learning to be content with himself. Sometimes destiny was not a person, or a place. Perhaps destiny was simply the state of understanding and coming to terms with oneself, of acceptance and self-love. If that were so, then he truly believed that he would find that here, in Delumine.

It was during such an introspective mood that Somnus had wandered, leaving the Citadel behind in favor of a walk. He did not fly, content to remain upon the ground and make his way leisurely through the outskirts of the Court. Nightfall was fast approaching, but it did nothing to deter his mood nor his path. The autumn air held the kiss of winter’s chill, a promise of things to come. As it was, the tactician nearly missed them as he passed through the trees like a golden specter, dark as his King’s hide was against the evening light. If it were not for Ipomoea standing near Kasil, his pale colors far easier for Somnus’ verdant eyes to spot, he may have walked right past them.

Slowing his pace, he hesitated, not wishing to disturb their camaraderie if he was unwanted. Yet, Somnus could not help but be intrigued. There was an air of seriousness about them, and it wasn’t often that he saw Kasil out of the confines of the Citadel. Was everything alright? Trepidation blossomed in his gut, a clawing, coiling feeling, and altering his path, the dunalino approached.

“I should hope not,” he stated softly as a greeting, tagging along at the tail end of Po’s melodic statement with amusement shining in emerald eyes, “Then I would need to find another to unintentionally accost novels at in the library.” It was a shame he would, perhaps, never live down, but not one that he didn’t mind bringing up every now and again.

Moving on, Somnus dipped his head towards Kasil with reverent respect. “Majesty.” Then again to Ipomoea, a small smile twisting dark lips. “Ipomoea. Good evening to you both.”

@Kasil @Ipomoea <3 <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
should i grow weary of the dark - by Kasil - 11-24-2017, 07:20 PM
RE: should i grow weary of the dark - by Ipomoea - 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: should i grow weary of the dark - by Somnus - 12-21-2017, 10:14 PM
RE: should i grow weary of the dark - by Kasil - 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM
RE: should i grow weary of the dark - by Ipomoea - 01-20-2018, 01:32 AM