Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - A woebegone birthday

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

If he had known that he would be receiving company, Somnus wouldn’t have been allowing himself to wallow in his heartache and melancholy. As it were he had been confident that no one would know that today was more than just another typical day, and thus, have no need or desire to seek him out. Regent though he may be, Somnus was just as entitled to his privacy as everyone else. He had Alba, coffee, and a riveting book, and that was all that he needed… But when the door to the grand library creaked open ever so slowly, and in peeked the one man who perhaps knew him best throughout the entirety of Novus, Somnus knew that there was no point in hiding his ire.

Sharp verdant eyes darted towards the doorway upon hearing Ulric’s voice. He allowed himself a moment of selfish, impudent silence, assessing his dear friend’s physical state as he did so. While surely tired from the continuity of his patrols, Ulric looked well. The soldier’s physique had not waned, and if anything it had only grown more toned and refined. The position of Warden served him well, and the Regent was pleased of the loyalty and dedication that the roan displayed towards his Court. Just like Vallen, for hearth and home. Ulric was never one to disappoint.

Nestled between his folded wings, Alba’s head emerged from the downy valley of her own feathered appendages, peering at the blue roan stallion through round, unnervingly black eyes. She blinked slowly, something judgemental in her beady stare, before letting Ulric know of her great displeasure at his interruption with a loud series of pops and hisses.

’Sleep!’ she demanded, the echo of her voice in his head, her frustrated emotions swelling within Somnus’ very own breast. The golden sighed, offering the nestling a look. Alba ruffled her feathers and let out a mighty huff in return, but relented and remained awake. That didn’t stop her from shooting Ulric a few dirty looks, of course, as the subject of her current disdain.

“Don’t mind her. She is merely displeased that you’ve interrupted her morning nap,” Somnus stated by way of greeting, ever formal, ever polite. Not that he could blame her, of course, as Alba was a nocturnal creature. Typically Somnus would move to stand when greeting another of the Dawn Court, but Ulric was a very good friend, and he knew that the Warden would not mind his reclining stature. So, instead, he remained where he was, resting upon the duvets and pillows with his keen eyes locked on the concerned gaze of his friend.

The roan went on, and Somnus ignored the urge to roll his eyes. Such an action was horrendously unbecoming, after all. Instead he stared, arching a brow, but then nodded after a moment of internal deliberation. “Thank you, for the well wishes.” But as for everything else… There was an absurd moment where the Regent hoped he could lie, where his silver tongue could fool Ulric like he could effortlessly sway so many others, but the thought immediately soured his stomach with guilt. Ulric was merely concerned, and he was a friend. Perhaps, even, Somnus’ closest friend. He couldn’t bear the thought of treating him so unfairly.

“I fear that it is only a trouble of the heart that plagues me. Nightmares.” The tactician frowned, expression pinched and incredibly exhausted. “It’s been a long time since I’ve dreamt of Vallen… Foolishly I had assumed I was past it all.” Somnus knew that he would not need to elaborate. Ulric had been there. The Warden had seen him at his worst, distraught and heartbroken, but here they were. A different Court, a different land. A different life, but still together.

Deciding that he had quite enough of appearing weak, if only for his own damnable pride, the dunalino finally shifted and ever so slowly unfolded his legs to push himself upright. As he did so, Alba wobbled precariously upon her roost, still too young to fly. Soon, they would tackle that particular step, but not today. Verdant eyes met rich gold once upright, and he cleared his throat. There was no missing the regret that crossed his face.

“You say that you’ve ‘got the whole day planned’, but I fear I will make for poor company, birthday or not. I won’t be offended if you retract your offer, Ulric.”

@Ulric

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
A woebegone birthday - by Somnus - 02-08-2018, 06:26 AM
RE: A woebegone birthday - by Ulric - 02-08-2018, 11:28 PM
RE: A woebegone birthday - by Somnus - 02-09-2018, 04:40 PM
RE: A woebegone birthday - by Ulric - 02-21-2018, 11:20 PM
RE: A woebegone birthday - by Somnus - 02-22-2018, 06:19 PM
RE: A woebegone birthday - by Ulric - 03-11-2018, 08:13 PM