Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Too Much is Never Enough

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

SOMNUS

Somnus did not rush him. He remained silent and thoughtful, stationary with his erect posture, expression open and unguarded. Dark lips remained pressed firmly together, brows furrowed, and his eyes swam with an infinite sort of emotion. Grief, stress, hope… This was no game. It was not a moment to make a rash decision, and he understood Ipomoea’s need to take a moment for himself and think.

Pride did not drive them. They were beings of knowledge, seekers of truth. Glory and strength were not things that they yearned for. They did not wish to move mountains, to make others kneel or cower, to hoard away rare and exotic riches. Instead, they desired understanding to the mechanizations of the world, to have answers to the mysteries that surrounded them. Strength of the mind was far more desirable than strength of the body, and Ipomoea understood that. Somnus could think of no other to uphold Oriens’ teachings by his side, and so he stood silently, hoping, waiting.

The murmured ’Me…?’ was enough to make Somnus’ heart stutter within his breast, hesitation drawing him back to himself. The role of Regent was a tumultuous one, and while the Appaloosa was learned and dutiful, loyal to their home and their tutelary deity, he was young. Could Somnus willingly sleep at night knowing that he had placed such a heavy burden upon the shoulders of one so young? Almost immediately upon thinking it, the new King shut it down. Foolish. He was being foolish. The physical age meant nothing in the schemes of deeper intelligence, of intimate brilliance. This younger soul before him had already proved his worth as Emissary, and then some.

He would ask no other. Not yet. Not ever, if it all worked out. Po could do it. Somnus had the faith in this young man, that he would defy every expectation and rise.

Then, a breath. A decision reached. ’… You honor me, Somnus.’ Oh, no. The honor was all his. How could he make Po see? The dunalino, however, held his tongue. He could not rush this, would not rush this, could not breach the sanctity of this precious moment. Po continued, his voice growing in strength, in determination, in fealty, the tears that Somnus had spotted seeming to disappear beneath thick lashes with the blink of an eye. ’If you wish me to be your Regent, I will stand by you. Delumine is my home – I will never abandon our people, nor you, my King.’

My King.

A fleeting moment of terror chilled the golden Sovereign to the bone. No. No. It was wrong. So wrong. He was never meant to be a King. Somnus had been satisfied to serve his monarchs. It was his calling; servant, tactician, advisor, regent. Now? King? Him? Could he truly? Then, a thought. A memory; a different land, a different King, but one who was uncertain of how to press forward. One who doubted himself. Somnus’ own voice echoed in his mind, elegant and rich and full of a conviction he no longer felt.

One cannot lead by standing still. A king pushes onward, always, accepting the consequences and never looking back.

It was all or nothing. Perhaps he could not rule alone, but that was why he was here. If Ipomoea was certain, if he believed in himself, if he believed in the both of them… Then so should Somnus.

Slowly, as though he had forgotten how to breathe, the dunalino let out a measured breath. Verdant eyes remained upon Po’s gaze, and in return of the Appaloosa’s own smile, he did the same. Dark lips curled and it was as though a massive weight fell from his shoulders. How had he gotten so lucky to have one such as Po in his Court? In their Court? He was innocent and eager and full of splendor, beautiful in body and spirit, and Somnus’ chest swam with adoration for this young man who so readily accepted such a burden.

“Certainly not I,” he murmured honestly, that smile remaining, brows lifting as the lines of stress disappeared from the new Sovereign’s face, “Oriens’, perhaps.” It was a statement, not a question, for who else would orchestrate such a turn of events but the patron God they both served? “But definitely not I. Yet I am both glad and relieved, that it is you who will be at my side.”

He went on, allowing his gaze to drift upwards, watching the sky. “Thank you, Po. For more than I can express. You honor me, my friend.” What next? What was their next plan of action? That had always been his job; preparing, calculating, planning for every possible outcome and every next step. Now? It seemed as though he was drawing a blank. His new Regent was secure. The burden seemed less. Together they would work for their Court… But, of course, their Court would need to know of the changes that had happened in so short a time. Ah, yes.

Emerald eyes once more sought out magenta, and his smile grew in strength. Together. They could do this together. “… Our first plan of action, good Po? Shall we summon the Court?”

@Ipomoea – I feel like this is everywhere and horrible and I’m so sorry ;-; ilu Sid <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
Too Much is Never Enough - by Somnus - 02-22-2018, 05:57 AM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Ipomoea - 02-22-2018, 10:30 PM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Somnus - 02-23-2018, 02:20 AM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Ipomoea - 02-25-2018, 06:59 PM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Somnus - 02-26-2018, 05:54 AM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Ipomoea - 02-27-2018, 09:47 PM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Somnus - 03-06-2018, 01:00 AM
RE: Too Much is Never Enough - by Ipomoea - 03-27-2018, 01:48 PM