Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - reaching up to the sky

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

The words spoken were earnestly genuine, but Somnus could not find himself believing them. Not quite. He, deserving of an imaginary crown? Hardly so. He was just a man. A flawed, troubled man, left to carry the heavy mantle of Kingship in the wake of a far more deserving man. Still, Eulalie’s heartfelt faith kindled a timid flame within his golden breast. The stresses he faced were numerable and sometimes insurmountable, but this faith, so innocently yet passionately placed, served as a reminder that he needed to simply stand back and enjoy the little things.

Funny. He could almost hear those words in the back of his head as though spoken from Ulric’s lips.

’Just enjoy the little things, Twinkle Toes.’

Alba’s words, teasing and heartfelt and loving filled his head, and it took everything Somnus had to not simply roll his eyes at the barn owl’s mocking statement of Delumine’s fine Warden. The said avian gave a satisfied flutter of her wings from her perch, beady black eyes knowing and keen as she stared upon the golden Sovereign before averting her predatory gaze into the churning waves of the rushing river.

So be it. And just like that, he let it go.

Giving a hearty laugh, Somnus pulled back just a touch as he shook his head, amusement lighting up his features. Verdant depths glittered mischievously beneath a veil of ivory silk and he spoke, lighthearted and amicable. “Perhaps I should plead for you to be my attendant,” he stated, good naturedly, “To deter the masses that cry for my attention.” From there he grew quiet, content to listen to Eulalie as she spoke. There was a melodious tone to her words, jovial and carefree and sure, as though she did not question the workings of her very own heart. It was a wonderful change from the typically cloying and stressful atmosphere that he found himself in, a breath of fresh air, and Somnus found that he was quite fond of the sound of her voice. It was curious, however, that she seemed to be so acquainted with Ulric. He had never known.

Eulalie spoke with a deeper understanding, of a wisdom that excelled beyond her years. ’I’ve spent my time getting reacquainted with myself, discovering what it is I’d like to do now that I have a whole world before me, unchained.’ Somnus’ gaze narrowed in careful scrutiny, confusion marring his expression for only a moment before it was brushed away beneath that neutral mask that he often wore. What did she mean by that? Her poise and dignity bespoke of a sense of pride, of overcoming, but the dunalino knew that it was not his place to press for answers.

They had, after all, just formally met, and Somnus was no demanding brute.

His head turned, following Eulalie’s warm chocolate gaze, to see the flitting shapes beneath the water. Upon her perch, Alba’s feathers ruffled in surprise, as the barn owl’s eyes had also caught the movement shimmering beneath the waves. Dolphins. The elusive pink dolphins. Somnus’ dark lips parted and his eyes roamed their features, watching as the two small mammals darted about in the waves, twisting and dancing within the water with a grace he could never even hope to emulate. Awe filled his breast, cataloguing every detail, every second, and a golden ear twitched back towards his companion as Eulalie spoke once more.

’The world is full of miracles, we just have to be patient enough to let them reveal themselves.’

“Truer words have rarely been spoken, my dear,” Somnus stated warmly, impressed and transfixed. The dolphins turned amidst the clear waters, dorsal fins breaching the top of the river as they played among the waves. It bespoke of a greater meaning to their life. Somewhere within the message that had been sent, by Oriens or the other patron Gods or from some higher force, was a lesson, and Somnus desperately found himself wanting to unravel the depths of it. Perhaps it was a lesson that Eulalie seemed to already understand, given the truth of her statement.

Perhaps there was much that he, a tactician and King, could learn from this jovial, heartfelt warrior at his side.

Somnus could not say for sure how long he stood there among the sun and the breeze, standing at the sunlit lady’s side, watching the dolphins play in the river. Eventually the two shimmering mammals grew bored, unaware of their spectators, and drifted further down the river until they were completely out of sight. It was a humbling experience, yet the Dawn King felt all the more privileged by it. Letting out a breath that he had been unaware of holding, he spoke, his voice hushed as though speaking too loudly would interrupt the moment that had fallen upon them.

“To witness something like this is an honor. I’m glad that I was not alone for it.” Straightening with a roll of a shoulder, the Dawn King regarded his compatriot with a certain fondness. “Imagine when we tell Ulric, hm? What might he say?” Somnus laughed, deep and full and completely. “I wish that I had brought a quill and paper, if only to document the moment on parchment. So few texts detail meetings of Rapax River dolphins."

xx
space

@Eulalie - Have a thoughtful Somnus! <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 03-18-2018, 03:49 AM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 03-22-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 04-01-2018, 08:59 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 04-07-2018, 11:36 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 04-20-2018, 09:50 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 05-04-2018, 10:30 PM