Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - reaching up to the sky

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

Elegant brows raised at Eulalie’s admittance. The tactician’s keen gaze drifted from the pale maiden to focus instead on the rushing river at their side. The waves churned and kicked up mist as they passed, the waters clear as crystal as sun shone down to reveal the colorful stones underneath. Ah. Would there ever be a day where the elusive pink dolphins would show themselves? How often had he come out here, searching for that very river mammal, but to no avail? Often. Too often. With Kasil, with Florentine, with Ulric, with no one save Alba… Yet not once had he spotted them. If they had not been written about in such detail within the books sheltered within the library, he would probably not believe that they even existed. However, Somnus was a man of facts and proof, and their multiple accounts journaled in fantastic detail helped to solidify their existence, but he would enjoy seeing the dolphins with his own eyes.

The Dawn King’s head turned to regard Eulalie, and his smile remained. “I’m afraid that they’ve yet to grant me an audience,” he murmured thoughtfully, “Though I find myself out here often, hoping that will change. To see only one would be a great honor indeed.”

The Dawn King advanced, growing closer once he was certain that his proximity wasn’t unwelcome. The last thing he would wish for would be to disrupt Eulalie’s peace and tranquility. He joined her at her side, mindful of the space between them so he would not bump her with his wings, and peered thoughtfully into the churning waves. From there, he grew silent, content to listen as she spoke. A golden head nodded, eyes skimming the waves before looking back to the sunlight stricken lady at his side. The following chuckle was deep and short, but genuine.

“Please. I’m hardly anything special.” A man, really. Nothing more. Somnus hardly saw himself as a King. Perhaps that was why he never sought out a crown to hold, like Kasil had, or the other Sovereigns of the past. “But the pleasure is mutual.” Her following words caused his ears to perk forward at attention, worry blossoming within his breast. His tendency for perfection nipped at him, churning his gut.

Not enough. You aren’t doing enough.

Was he not doing enough? If he was supposed to lead them and those of his own Court did not know his face, then was he doing enough? Were they satisfied? Happy? Safe? He had promised Kasil, his King, that he would do everything that he could to ensure the Dawn Court would prosper and thrive, yet Eulalie’s comment, no matter how innocent it may have been delivered, stung all the same. More. He needed to do more. It was only by the years and years he had spent in politics that his distress did not show in his face. Instead, the dunalino’s expression shifted to one of intrigue, brow raising, emerald eyes glittering with lighthearted mirth between their locked gazes.

The stress and dangerous need for perfection dissipated, however, its grasp upon him loosening at her teasing inquiry. Eulalie’s eyes shone is mischief, her expression honest and open, the sound of her laugh still echoing within his head. She did not judge him. She wasn’t judging him. If he could not differentiate, then perhaps he needed to stop being cooped up within the Citadel so much. Perhaps Alba was right. Despite their recent acquaintance, Eulalie’s presence was becoming oddly soothing, and he grinned ruefully. Leaning towards her, he lowered his head, his voice dropping an octave as though in conspiracy.

“Hiding, my good lady? Perish the thought. No, more like held ransom by the confines of our very own Court. There is much to be done.” His smile returned, handsome, content. Upon her perch, Alba let out a little pop, head swiveling about in search for a snack. “… But Ulric might tell you otherwise. It’s no secret that I’m far more an introvert than an extrovert. He frets that I stay inside far too often… But my number of compatriots who might accompany upon an afternoon stroll are dismal. Still, he worries.”

Never mind the time that Ulric had found Somnus cooped up within the library with copious amounts of coffee thrumming through his system, forlorn and distraught and far too many hours without sleep. Perhaps his Warden had reason to worry. Pressing on and refusing to linger, Somnus straightened with a roll of his shoulder, letting his gaze peer back out upon the river. Still no flash of pink within the currents.

“… I believe I could ask the same of you, Eulalie. What has occupied your time?”

xx
space

@Eulalie - Sorry for the wait, darling! <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 03-18-2018, 03:49 AM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 03-22-2018, 10:09 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 04-01-2018, 08:59 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 04-07-2018, 11:36 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 04-20-2018, 09:50 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Eulalie - 05-04-2018, 03:25 PM
RE: reaching up to the sky - by Somnus - 05-04-2018, 10:30 PM