Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - i want so much more than they've got planned

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ygraine

she'll always float
back through my mind like smoke

This particular morning, the grey lady was thankful that the weather was not quite as oppressive as it could have been. The air was not thick with humidity like many days before had been, but rather it was light and clean as the morning breeze fluttered through the grasses and plant life around where she rested. This particular day, she had taken refuge in one of the many meadows spread about the land of Delumine and was more than content to lie there sternal with her belly to the cool earth while her back basked in the warmth of morning sun. She had to admit, she was still getting used to enjoying this kind of weather; she didn't recall generally pleasant weather on the mountain and the places her travels took her tended to have more a unsettled climate. Despite that, Ygraine was quite appreciative of the temperate environment she'd found herself in as of late and she would have been lying if she hadn't given silent thanks to the Gods when she woke this morning. 

Her fores were tucked under her chest where she rested, hind limbs out to the side while she lazily enjoyed her quiet morning; maybe later she would go out exploring. The seemingly endless abundance of flowers growing nearby piqued her interest, many of them being types she was not exactly familiar with and it would have been wise of her to maybe try and surmise if any of them had any properties that were beneficial to her or not. Of course, experimenting within reason; no need to get sick over foolish judgement. Her agenda was surely laid out for her for the rest of the day, but for now she chose to ignore it. Ygraine was more than content lying where she was, nibbling on the grasses easily accessible around her. 

Despite her looking rather complacent where she was, the grullo lady still kept her wits about her. Her ears were constantly turning this way and that, processing the sounds around her and subconsciously determining if danger was afoot or not. Her nares were breathing deep, paying close mind to the scents around her in case of any change on the wind she needed to be made aware of. So although she looked relaxed as one could be, she was poised to leap to her feet at a moment's notice if need be. As of late, everything seemed quiet besides the usual symphony of the biome. Though she soon noticed a rustling not too far off to to the east of her that seemed out of place with the soundtrack around her. Unable to see the cause from where she was, the pale faced lady sprung to her feet and looked out to the expanse of the meadow, her pale eyes narrow and focused while she searched for the source. Hopefully it wasn't going to warrant a fight; she really wasn't in the mood for that.

words: 493 | tag: open! | song

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

It was, perhaps, the perfect morning for a stroll.

Dawn had promised a far more mild a day than the summer season had previously allowed. The humidity was low, a cool breeze coasting through the trees, and Somnus had taken it upon himself to leave the mortar hallways of the Court behind in favor of gaining in some much needed exercise, having been cooped up inside for far too long. His routine was set, and as a fickle creature of habit, the golden tactician never strayed from his arduously thought out plan. A walk to warm up taut muscles, perhaps a fly about the Court spire to stretch out his wings, and then back into the library to do some reading. Perhaps a friendly spar with Ulric, should the man feel amicable enough, and then after, well... More reading. More studying. More learning about this world that he was slowly growing acclimated to, a world that was slowly beginning to feel like home.

It would never be home, however. Of that Somnus most certainly assumed to be true. As a man who never assumed anything, it was quite the bold statement. No. Somnus' home, and heart, lay with the Kingdom of Vhallen and the King that he had ultimately left behind. Still. Those morose thoughts would do him no good on a day as fine as this one, and the dunalino stallion had no qualms with taking firm advantage of such an outstanding opportunity laid out before him. Not only would such a stroll take the tension from lean, tense muscles, but allow for his wayward thoughts to wander, having been cooped up without much harmonious company for far too long.

His mind, sharp as a polished horn, yearned for someone to debate with, to deliberate with, and share knowledge and understandings of the world. Restlessness destroyed a man like him, rendering him useless and harried, and it was not a sensation that Somnus like.

So, in short. There he was, legs carrying him through the thickets and shrubbery, wings outstretched when he could manage the space to soak in the sunlight and the breeze alike. It was wondrous, and his heart felt light and airy in a way that it hadn't for a very long time. That was, of course, until he happened upon a resting grullo mare who he had, quite rudely, startled, and the tactician's emerald eyes widened in alarm and concern alike.

"Oh, I'm terribly sorry," Somnus was quick to declare in his clipped, polished accent, feeling trepidation and concern rise in his golden breast as he realized that his arrival had startled the poor thing, "I'm afraid I was lost within the recesses of my own mind. It was not my intention to alarm you, miss. My most humble apologies."

Here, the dunalino dipped his head in apology, the elegance of his action one of practice and poise. "I am Somnus, and I mean you no ill-will." Then, as though trying to alleviate the troublesome tension that the grullo mare may or may not feel, he offered her the softest of smiles, just a subtle, quirk of dark lips. "I was simply taking advantage of this positively divine weather."

@Ygraine

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Ygraine

she'll always float

The black dun mare could see the semblance of something coming her way, though it seemed at a leisurely pace at best. That alone was enough to ease her worrying, which allowed her mind to change direction and for curiosity to take wing. Just like she was getting used to the climate, she was also getting used to the vast diversity that was this great land. In her mountainous homeland special characteristics were few and far between, and honestly if any were born with these attributes they usually were cast from the herd young. Her clan feared what it did not know; maybe that's why she felt she didn't belong there anymore. But now, here, she was experiencing more multiplicity than she had ever before and somehow by the Gods' graces she was taking it all very much in stride.

All of this made it much easier for Ygraine to settle when the hybrid stallion came into full view, wings displayed along with the horn centered in the middle of his forehead. The pale faced lady merely lifted her head a few degrees, ears still perked atop her skull as to let the inquisitive filly within her shine through. Her dark ebony tail swatted swiftly against her dusty grey hide, allowing him to approach. Ygraine certainly appreciated his apology upon the realization that he'd encroached on her space, though in her eyes she didn't think it didn't warrant nearly as much fussing as he had alluded. 

"Nonsense, you didn't frighten me as much as make me curious of who might be ambling about the meadow is all," she answered, a certain tranquility emanating from her voice as she stood there before him. She did briefly take in the sight before her, taking detailed note of the stallion's features and with that she reflected on the fact that she was, in the great scheme of things around here, quite plain. The thought worried her, gnawing at her confidence a little.

Her wandering mind was soon anchored back to earth. 'I am Somnus, and I mean you no ill-will. I was simply taking advantage of this positively divine weather.' Her pale eyes flickered to meet his stark green ones, and when her thoughts essentially reached solid ground she returned the smile with one of her own. The edges of her pale pink muzzle turned upwards and Ygraine briefly dipped her head to him in a polite manner. "Call me Ygraine," she replied, a brief pause following as she looked out to the expanse of the meadow. "I don't blame you for taking a stroll, it's rare to have such a comfortable morning whilst so deep in summer. Wouldn't you agree?"

words: 448 | tag: @Somnus | song

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Somnus

The maiden's dulcet tones and soothing words did wonders to chase away Somnus' fear that he had, indeed, startled or upset her. He lingered on the invisible precipice of what might be considered the mare's personal space, hesitant to draw any closer just in case his presence was unwanted. Curious verdant eyes regarded her, however, from where he stood, impassive and quiet, the joints in his wings furling and folding as he tucked rich caramel feathers back against pale flaxen sides, his posture erect but unobtrusive.

It was only when she dipped her head in what the tactician immediately recognized as a formal greeting that he dared to venture closer, one hoof guiding his path after another as he approached. Ygraine. That was the name of the grullo maiden, who's smile was warm and inviting and her pale blue eyes even more so. She was an appealing creature, with primitive hues and soft accents of chrome, but Somnus did not recognize her face nor her scent from his time spent in the Dawn Court thus far. Perhaps she was new to the land of the rising sun? A visitor, maybe?

"A pleasure. Truly." And it was. Somnus truly enjoyed encountering the members of his Court, for there were still many faces that he did not know. Hopefully, soon, that would no longer be the case.

That polite little smile once more returned to the golden tactician's lips, a subtle, but pleased expression. It was an unnaturally comfortable morning, given how cruel the summer season had yet been. It was not yet unbearably hot, forcing everyone to go find some shade to lounge in until evening, but instead mild and pleasant, lacking the oppressive bites of days past. Somnus was pleased to see that he was not the only one taking advantage of such beautiful weather, for it would simply be poor taste to wallow in the mortar halls of the Court. "Wholeheartedly, lady. Far too few of mornings start like this. I can only hope that it promises a decent afternoon, as well."

The dunalino stallion's smile, subtle as it was, finally drifted into a far more neutral, professional expression, the same expression he had mastered when in the presence of the Vhallen council and foreign dignitaries, and once again Somnus dipped his onyx horn in a bow of acknowledgement. "Forgive my inquiry, lady Ygraine. I am merely curious. Are you new to Delumine? If that is the case, then I welcome you, humbly and wholly, and I will eagerly answer any questions that you may have, should I be capable."

@Ygraine

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Ygraine

she'll always float

The grey lady allowed him to approach, watching him cross the invisible barrier of her personal space with merely a studious gaze. She figured it was the least she could do considering the winged stallion seemed practically offended with himself for merely showing up near her uninvited; when in reality, Ygraine didn’t actually mind the company at all. Being more of a nomad for a good chunk of her years, one could say she was more used to the transient comings and goings of others around here. Him sticking around for awhile was not a concept she was foreign to.

The only consideration that was alien to her was, well, that he was still willing to speak with her. She was quite aware that she wasn’t exactly the most engaging in conversation with strangers, keeping to shorter sentences solely because she wasn’t the best at knowing what to say. Ygraine was an innate listener that than one focused on replying; she preferred to study and understand...which wasn’t always a quality others enjoyed. So of course she was quite pleasantly surprised with how things were going when Somnus chose to keep her company a bit longer. Her ears perked in curiosity, listening to him address her once more.

’Lady Ygraine.’ The grullo mare chuckled at that, somehow finding humor in the simple words. Maybe taking them a little too literally for her own good, to which she answered him as to maybe let that laugh be forgotten. ”I’m far from being any semblance of a lady,” she answered, humbling herself. Then she quickly recovered that, considering it did hit her that what she said might have been a bit foolish. ”But yes, I am new to this area. I’ve been traveling for a long time now and must say I haven’t seen a place much like this before,” said the grey lady, her pale gaze briefly scanning the expanse of the meadow before her eyes returned to the blonde stallion. The act was merely a force of habit for her, to be constantly taking in her surroundings. Looking for changes, deviations in what she assumed to be normal.

Though considering she was speaking with an equine with both wings and a horn, things that warranted expulsion from the mountain she was born on, Ygraine wasn’t exactly sure of what normal exactly meant at this very moment. Thankfully, she was open to learning; she knew there was so much else to know about the world. ”Forgive me,” she began, a brief pause following as her mind sought to put what she said next together in such a way as to not make her look like an absolute dingus. ”But, are many around here like you? I have not really seen anyone like you before...” she finally said, her head motioning in his direction. Okay. That came out slightly less dingus-like.

But still, Ygraine thought she sounded like a complete idiot. Hopefully he’d overlook her foolishness. Otherwise she was sure to go find the nearest cave and hide forever to mask her shame. Lady of the Dark Cave has a nice ring to it, right?

words: 526 | tag: @Somnus | song

Dawn Court Scholar

Somnus

Somnus gave her a curious, slow blink, his expression blessedly vacant of surprise or mortification. It was neutral, that blank slate of professionalism that he always reverted to back in the presence of Vhallen's court and council. This was no different, for the first time in quite awhile, the tactician found himself at a loss of words. Normally, when making quite the fool of himself, he would apologize and move on, but he felt as though he had already met his quota of apologies with Ygraine despite their mere moments of being acquainted and loathed to appear as nothing more than an apologetic oaf.

So, Somnus simply let her comment slide and took critical note of it. Very well then. Listen, accept, move on. Meticulous. Tedious. Obsessive. That was Somnus. Thoughtful, stern, but passionate.

It was no surprise to hear that Ygraine was, indeed, new to Delumine. The smell that clung to her was not yet potent of the Dawn's familiar scent; she did not smell of crisp morning air and dew, of fog embracing the land, the grasses and flowers of the Illuster Meadow or the thick trees of the Viride Forest. She would, with time, if this was where she chose to remain.

"It is quite unlike anything I had ever seen before arriving as well. It takes some getting used to, I assure you, but those who live in Delumine are kind and patient. Don't ever fret seeking out assistance, should you require it." From there, Somnus' keen verdant eyes followed her gaze, watching as she cast her sights out across the meadow once more, watching, listening, waiting... It was as though she sought out change, as though she were expecting something to happen. Paranoid, perhaps? No, for Ygraine did not seem flighty or nervous. The grullo mare simply was, and Somnus found that, after a little thought, he could appreciate such a trait.

Her following question, began with a plea of forgiveness, however, was quite unexpected. Twisting his head about, the golden tactician regarded the dusky maiden with an elegantly arched brow. Dark lips twisted upwards into a rueful grin, and he nodded, amusement crinkling his brow and coating his words. "You've nought to apologize for, Ygraine." He answered humbly, then went on, unperturbed by her curiosity. "Indeed. There are others here with both wings and horns. Some with both, others with one or the other, and some with none. Should you remain in our midst for some time, I am certain that you will meet them all." And that was coming from a fellow who, to date, had yet to meet every member of the Dawn Court. Ah, well. He hadn't even been within Novus as a whole for an entire season.

He chuckled, warm and alluring, hoping that she would not take his mirth in the wrong light. Giving a mighty shake, then, he ruffled caramel feathers and ivory hairs, and went on. "... Would you care to accompany me for the remaining duration of my walk? I can give you a bit of a tour, and take you back to the citadel. Perhaps the other members of the Court will be out and about upon such nice weather and you can meet them, as well."

@Ygraine

Ygraine

ygraine;

And as I lit the fuse and ran for cover,
where were you?
Standing with your hands on the flame

The grey lady was more than relieved when her fatuous question was not met with ridicule or laughter, glad to know that such a query wasn't exactly as far-fetched as she might have believed. It was reassuring to her, considering if things had gone a bit awry it might have indeed caused a downward spiral; after all, this was her first encounter since making it to Novus. The last thing she needed to do was ruin this, and set the rest of her time here up for failure. So needless to say when Ygraine saw Somnus' smile and listen to his even-keeled reaction, she was quite mollified. His reply though, it made her think up a slew of other questions. Most though, she didn't need to bombard him with at this time. Besides, they were questions she was more than happy to figure out the answers to on her own; it'd give the student's mind something to do besides go exploring for flora to add to her compendium.

Ygraine was still acclimating herself to the idea that there were still many others to meet not only in the Dawn Court but across the entire expanse of this land that she barely explored. And that number was surely a constantly changing variable, which to some the thought was quite intimidating. How could anyone ever meet everyone there ever was to meet? But the grullo mare certainly didn't come to such a conclusion; it was more than enough for her to meet those in her own court, and then the rest would simply be left up to chance. She was not one to become overly confident about things--she knew there was some kind of higher power pulling the strings, putting the chess pieces in place. All she could do was maybe influence her own moves, but in the end things would happen the way they always meant to even if she was not apprised of that plan.

On a much less stressful level though, it certainly wouldn't hurt to join the golden stallion on his morning walk. It was harmless enough, and highly beneficial. Going for a stroll and receiving a tour to get her more acquainted with Delumine was much more appealing than merely lying around engorging herself on grass all day long. So the edges of her pale muzzle turned up and she nodded, her gentle features awash with mirth and gratitude. ”A tour would be wonderful, seeing as I don't much know left from right around here at the moment,” she answered, the lilt of her voice fluttering into a little chuckle in the end.  ”Lead on, good sir!”

---
Here’s text.
”Here’s speech.”

tag: @Somnus | words: 445 | music: HERE | table credit: HERE 

Dawn Court Scholar

Somnus

Somnus offered Ygraine plenty of time to make her decision. The last thing that he wished was to rush her or force her into doing something that she truly didn't wish to do. However, it seemed that she had no qualms with making her thoughts known, and he realized that he didn't need to worry about making her do anything. Ygraine seemed wholly capable of telling him off if she so desired, but his hesitance proved to be a moot point when she agreed to accompany him.

"Splendid." The statement was simple, but no less eloquent, nor did it dilute his pleasure over the fact that Ygraine did agree to come along upon his walk and allow him to show her around. "We can continue along and stretch our limbs before returning to the citadel. Hopefully the rest of the Court will be out and about and you can meet a few more indivudals who call Delumine home." He wondered if Ulric would be patrolling, or if Kasil or Charlemagne would be cooped up within the Dawn Court library. They would have to find out when they arrived.

Allowing the rich caramel feathers upon his wings to ruffle amidst the breeze, Somnus turned to begin the trek, his pace slow and leisurely, signalling the fact that he was in no hurry whatsoever. How odd it was, to think that this very morning he had a schedule painstakingly ironed out, one that he had every meticulous notion of following down to the last second, and now, it was completely cast aside in favor of ensuring that Ygraine was welcomed within Delumine. He was becoming quite the busy-body, it seemed, but Somnus found himself liking the abrupt changes and events that began to happen in his day. So long as those events weren't malignant, of course.

The golden tactician cleared his throat, striking verdant eyes ghosting over the vast meadow to rest sidelong upon Ygraine's pretty pale face. Hoping to get to know her a bit more, he went on. "Forgive me if I am being too forthright, Ygraine... But do you see yourself hailing a profession?" A momentary pause, and then the dunalino went on to extrapolate. "What I mean to say, of course, is there something that you love to do? For example, I, myself, am a Sage of the Dawn Court. I desire learning and tact above all else. I yearn to assist the Court in what ways my mind will allow me; with my tongue and intelligence both."

"Is there a calling that you could envision for yourself?" Of course, if there wasn't, that wouldn't be a problem. One did not have to pursue a calling in order to be welcome in the Dawn Court. No, there were plenty of civilians who milled about, enjoying their freedom and the tranquility that came with living within the land of the Rising Sun.

@Ygraine

Ygraine

ygraine;

And as I lit the fuse and ran for cover,
where were you?
Standing with your hands on the flame

The pale-faced lady followed alongside the blonde stallion, her pace mirroring his while they began their languid pace. Ygraine certainly didn’t mind it, at least this early in the morning; she wasn’t one of those who enjoyed their morning runs through the forest or across the meadow. She was more of the type to take her time getting up to speed with the day, for she wasn’t one that was in much of any particular hurry lest the situation warranted it. Maybe later in the day that would change and she’d fancy herself a sprint across the meadow and beyond, but for now she was perfectly content with their stroll. It was not only a time for them to continue their conversation, but it was also precious time for her to take in the sights and landmarks without them blurring past her while running at full speed.

Her ears perked in his direction upon hearing him clear his throat, garnering her attention as seen by her pale sky eyes glancing in his direction as well. The question asked wasn’t a terribly far-fetched one, just not one she had pondered extensively on just yet though she certainly had an idea. ”Although I’m far from the most skilled, I’d say I’m a bit of a healer,” she replied, her tone predictably modest. Ygraine had a good basic education thanks to her dearly departed mentor, the elderly one-eyed mare Vivyn. ”I learned my skill of herbalism from a senile old mare, probably was some kind of crazy forest witch if I ever saw one,” she continued on, smirking a little at the end of her sentence.

From her memories, though the palomino elder had never explicitly told Ygraine of her true nature, the odds were that she was in fact some kind of magicker. That, and there were many a time that Ygraine had caught the old mare worshipping the old ways in the dark of night, singing songs to the earth Mother and burning flowers to earn Her good graces. However, the jury was still out in the grey lady’s mind on which Gods she wanted to believe; she just wasn’t going to be the one to ruin her teacher’s happiness. To each their own, and it wasn’t her place to tell anyone different.

She then spoke up again; her mind returned from the brief journey her memories took her on. ”I seek to always learn what I can about the world; I am a student first, and this earth is the material: everything from its inhabitants, the weather, it’s all something I wish to understand,” she said, a certain spark notable in her tone; her studies were something she was passionate about, almost as much as her practice of medicine. ”Everything is connected, and the more I am familiar with, the more I can help others.” Ygraine couldn’t help but chuckle a little at the end of all that. ”My, didn’t know I could sound so idealistic...”

---
Here’s text.
”Here’s speech.”

tag: @Somnus | words: 529 | music: HERE | table credit: HERE