Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - sunlight, smoke, apple skins

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Mateo

Mateo, for all his precise memory of facts and figures and dates, did not know much about the natural world and its mechanisms. It wasn't that he wasn't interested in plants and flowers, geology and tides. He just was so violently passionate about other things that he didn't have the time for nature. He intimately knew the wind, as all pegasi do, but did not ask many questions about the rest of it-- except to know the names and color and smell of beautiful things, to better weave them into song and story. All this is to say that he did not know this fact Regis shares about sunflowers following the sun (is that perhaps the reason they are called sunflowers?) but if this knowledge came from the Dawn Court regent, Mateo could not question it.

" But… I also kinda hope they can’t feel anything, since we eat them." The young prince hits the nail on the head here. The truth sinks into them at the same time, the possibility that they had taken a horrible thing for granted without even thinking about it until now. "I hope so too," Mateo says earnestly, for if the plants were aware of being eaten alive then horses were no more noble than wolves. And while nature needed a balance-- birth, life, death-- he hoped it did not need to be so violent and painful.

Oh, but the morning is too young, and their hearts too light, for the heaviness of philosophy! Mateo is glad to steer the conversation elsewhere, to kings and queens and the living history they are apart of. Eventually they reach the doors to the kitchen; tall, broad, well-worn. The dark grain of the wood(, walnut?) thirstily drinks up the morning light. Mateo hesitates, looking from the door to his friend and finally back to the door. "Just one," he echoes with an agreeable grin, and he quietly steps through the door into the kitchen.

- - -
@Regis I think this is a great place to close it... Thank you for such a fun, lighthearted thread!! I definitely want another with them <3
art

Messages In This Thread
sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Mateo - 01-07-2019, 01:07 AM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Regis - 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Mateo - 01-23-2019, 02:31 AM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Regis - 03-04-2019, 04:32 AM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Mateo - 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Regis - 03-18-2019, 03:52 AM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Mateo - 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Regis - 04-08-2019, 02:47 AM
RE: sunlight, smoke, apple skins - by Mateo - 04-14-2019, 02:38 PM