Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - someone else's story

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Toulouse

TOULOUSE

The snake freezes on the table the moment Mateo says the first command, and that is all the confirmation he needs to know he said it correctly. His second try does not yield the same luck, however. The snake remains motionless, a slash of gold on the mahogany table.

“Avekne,” he corrects, and the snake lifts its head sleepily, blinking at the two horses. “With a soft e.” He watches as the snake flicks its tongue, tasting the air, and begins to creep across the table to him.

“It means,” he says slowly, like a teacher with all the patience in the world to spare, “that it will do as I ask.” 

It’s spoken in a forgotten language, the magic that binds the snake to him. The name of it would mean nothing to the youth, of that Toulouse was certain - but it meant something to him. And he would not reveal it quite so easily as that.

The snake turns his head to look at him then, ruby eyes shinning brightly with laughter. Toulouse stares back at it, unblinking, unyielding, watching the golden scales undulate in the dim lighting.

As the snake comes closer Toulouse captures it within his grasp, lifting it from the table. It twists itself in the air, as if displeased. 

“I like to travel,” he tells Mateo casually as he does so. “I’m always looking for a new land, a new world, somewhere, something to keep me entertained. Tell me, do you think Novus is that place now?” Of course he’s already made up his mind that it is - why else would be be here? - but still he pretends to let the pegasus decide it for him, as if his very presence in Novus depends on Mateo’s answer.

“Delumine especially,” he continues. “Wherever there’s so much knowledge and magic, something exciting is bound to happen eventually.”

Toulouse looks at the nearby lantern then, the oil burning low now, and gasps. “My, look at the time. I’ve been in the library all day!” The snake still in his grasp, he peeks his horned head around the corner of the bookshelves.

“Do forgive me, Mateo, but I haven’t had anything to eat since early this morning, and I’m famished. What’s your favorite place to dine here in the Court?”

He turns back to look at him then, and there’s an unspoken invitation in his eyes, as if what he’s really asking Mateo is lead the way.

the motherland don't love you,
the fatherland don’t love you.
so why love anything?

the faithless; they don't love you
the zealous hearts don’t love you.
and that's not gonna change.

ut deo.

@mateo  
kind of fell apart at the end but I figured now was a good time to begin closing this (as overdue as i am)? <3

enfanir art

Messages In This Thread
someone else's story - by Toulouse - 03-29-2019, 09:28 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Mateo - 04-11-2019, 11:03 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Toulouse - 05-08-2019, 11:53 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Mateo - 05-16-2019, 06:54 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Toulouse - 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Mateo - 08-02-2019, 11:05 PM
RE: someone else's story - by Toulouse - 12-09-2019, 01:41 PM