Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - When did we change?

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sea [PM] Posts: 3 — Threads: 1
Signos: 1,415
Inactive Character

Life in the beginning never made sense. My universe as I knew it then was chaotic, and the first words my father ever spoke to me were in warning.

Our world knows not how to rest.  It will never be quiet, or still. Time is sick, and it will never think twice - or once! - to ask you how you feel about it.  Remember: Sand shifts.  Water consumes.  Air suffocates.  Never trust the flowers. And most importantly, Time will change you whether you are ready for it or not.

And it did.

At that very moment actually, the entire ground shifted beneath his feet and swallowed him whole.  I knew next to nothing about the man I called Father, just that he was buried before his time.  Buried beneath my feet.  Buried, now gone.  No time for mourning.

Everything beyond this point does not make sense.

Once upon a long time ago, my life was a bit of a mess.  I managed the chaos quite well, but once it took me the same way it took my father, swallowed whole.  The ground opened up like a great whale mouth and swallowed me and several others into its earthly jaws.  I was shaken out into the sea on the other side where mermaids would not leave my hair alone.  I remember swimming and swimming and swimming and their claws would be pulling through my hair, weaving straps of kelp and other lockets from the deep.  Since I came out the other side alone, I accepted their company - but I remained wary of them just like the water they lived in.

Eventually a shore manifested itself, quite like the shores of the island here, the only difference is that the stones and boulders that made up the coastline rose up and up out of the sea, too tall for me.  By the time I reached the land a quarry of stones had risen up from the depths to create a wall.  I was rejected by the earth once again.  It is a rare time for me to tell you that I relied on the accompaniment of three mermaids to guide me through the waters.  Normally they just drown colts that end up in the water that way, yet this time, our strange friendship saved my life and they led me to a most certain freedom that I could never thank them enough for.

I have never been a man of the sea, but that is exactly how I arrived onto the shores of Novus. 

Now I have been here for several months (a season or so) but I’ve remained aloof in the sands of Solterra - an easy place to disappear until one is ready to resurface into society again.  I guess the only difference is that all of the societies I have ever known, I would not choose any of them for myself.  All I can say about all of this is that, I’m really glad that I haven’t been swallowed by sand or chased by a giant gila monster (all Teryr’s put aside).

Exploration is at its peak.  Winter is over.  Wars have subsided.  The influx of visitors has risen once again and I am compelled to make another journey to explore new earth beneath my feet.  I’ve never been one to shy away from a real adventure - but it is safe to say that I have some reservations about visiting anything mysterious.  The kind of transformations that have been written on the subject of the ‘mysterious island’ have me convinced - that some part of me never left the hole that I was shunted out of one day.  That same part of me yearns to go back despite how vicious and unforgiving the unsettling landscape was.

And so, that is why we are here at all.  The island was not hard to find.  I have spent all morning here already, nothing really speaks to me quite the way my old home does - but that must be the point.  It is so beautiful here, the flowers especially.  I can hear old warnings in the back of my head now as I stop to observe a bluebonnet rapidly growing up from the soil.  Whenever I take a step towards it, another bluebonnet grows.  Before I know it - I am following a trail of wonder and intrigue.  Like a child, I forget my surroundings and pay attention to the magic I should be wary of.

I ignore all the signs.

These trees aren’t trying to kill me, yet.

Sereia could have been a jaguar waiting for me in the bushes.  I wouldn’t have seen her as I make my way towards the pooling water.  These enchantments bring back strange memories and stranger feelings, I am consumed by my childhood wanderings as I investigate quietly.  Then, when she speaks, it startles the smoke right out of me.  A thick cloud of black veils my face “Oh! - ah .."  

I blow the smoke out of my way to see her.  All three eyes fixate on the stranger's graceful swan image, two to Look and one to See.  “Where I am from, we call them blood blossoms - the trees themselves are carnivorous. "

@Sereia  Not sure what this is O.O

Messages In This Thread
When did we change? - by Sereia - 04-04-2020, 10:48 AM
RE: When did we change? - by Nachzehrer - 04-12-2020, 10:18 AM
RE: When did we change? - by Sereia - 05-15-2020, 06:32 AM
RE: When did we change? - by Nachzehrer - 05-15-2020, 05:02 PM
RE: When did we change? - by Sereia - 07-12-2020, 09:51 AM