Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - a word spoken by the sunlight [quest]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

A S P A R A

I think that of all the places in Novus, the most magic is to be found in the forests of Delumine. I met a birch tree there once. There were birds nested in his branches, lichen sprawling up his neck. He called me a little tree, and it was one of my proudest moments.

I did not believe I would ever see him again, but that did not stop me from looking. The evening of the festival, as everyone else gathered around the lights and the meadow and the river (the safety in numbers almost tangible, like a blanket) I turned away from the crowds and followed my heart into the forest which so enchanted me.

I knew it could be dangerous– that went unspoken anywhere darkness and shadow lingered so thickly. But I also felt an indescribable sense of comfort beneath all those heavy boughs. I had the feeling the trees were old friends, or maybe family, and like old friends they would have my back if I ran into trouble. I had Furfur with me, too, quiet and slick as sunset, and with him by my side I felt untouchable.

When the voices started, I just thought it was my magic. Dead roots and stones and dried-out leaves sometimes talked to me, if they had something they really wanted said. These voices were a little… different. They had a pull to them that was almost physical. I attributed it to the forest magic until the grey stranger stepped forward and began to speak.

Furfur growled as the stallion stepped into the warmth of the lantern’s glow. His golden eyes reminded me of the sun peeking over the horizon at first light. I said nothing, only listened intently to his words, and when he melted back into the shadows I stepped forward down the vacant path.

I’m not sure how long I walked. Time was strange there, in the quiet stillness of the forest. But at some point there was a crack as a branch snapped underfoot behind me. I whirled around with alarm. “Who’s there?” The twist of my horn was lowered and pointed at the darkness, and in that moment I felt no fear at all. I was seized by a sense of utter calm. Perhaps it was the influence of the tall trees; I imagined their roots sinking deep into the earth and imagined myself doing the same, grounding myself into a world with more strength and age and wisdom than I could imagine.

MAKE A BEAUTIFUL
FIRE!

@Leonidas @Official Dawn Account

Messages In This Thread
a word spoken by the sunlight [quest] - by Aspara - 06-06-2020, 03:23 PM