Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- The doors we didn't open

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Rae [PM] Posts: 118 — Threads: 19
Signos: 20
Inactive Character

The way grief needs oxygen. 
The way every once in a while, 
it catches the light and starts smoking.

When I was younger, long before that day on the island, I did not understand the difference between pride and vanity. I strove to have neither, to be blank as freshly fallen snow... I was, of course, a fool. I could keep vanity at bay, but pride found me. Pride finds everyone, in the end, but it loves unicorns the most.

The mirror, heavy with flowers, groaned like a waking thing. Cracks fanned across its surface like spiderwebs.

Perhaps I was too proud to be afraid. It is the pitfall of pride, and the reason I so resisted it. When the pale one- Danae- angled her tail like a reaper at my wolf, I raised my brow and swept my horn from sister to sister like a pendulum, or a blade deciding from which river to wet its tongue. “I am Aspara.

Roots sought out the cracks, forcing them wider, bringing the mirror crumbling to the ground piece by piece.

I could often be slow, thoughtful, deliberate; but I never lingered unless I wanted to linger. And I sure as shit did not want to linger there. “Well... I’m gonna go now. See you around!” My voice was bright, carefree, but there was a knowing steel in my smile. A promise, and beneath it the vague outline of a threat- as one unicorn to another. Until next time.

I turned and left with a swish of the tail in goodbye. Furfur lingered a moment longer, watchful (don’t think I would have turned my back on those girls for a second without him there) and turned to follow me a few seconds later.

Together we disappeared silently into the maze of mirrors, brushing our noses from time to time against the cold glass. And although we moved with all appearances of quiet confidence, we were listening carefully for any sign of a unicorn, or two, at our backs.

The way my grief will die with me. 
The way it will cleave and grow 
like antlers.

A S P A R A

@Isolt @Danaë <3

Messages In This Thread
The doors we didn't open - by Aspara - 08-11-2020, 12:34 PM
RE: The doors we didn't open - by Isolt - 08-23-2020, 01:17 PM
RE: The doors we didn't open - by Danaë - 08-25-2020, 08:45 PM
RE: The doors we didn't open - by Aspara - 09-18-2020, 09:10 AM
RE: The doors we didn't open - by Isolt - 10-16-2020, 08:56 PM
RE: The doors we didn't open - by Danaë - 10-28-2020, 07:05 PM