Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - the changeling [fire]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Jeanne [PM] Posts: 10 — Threads: 4
Signos: 1,200
Inactive Character

NOW, SMITTEN WITH THE CRISIS
of a love who hates her own reflection, / my obsession won't rest.

I am always lonely, and I am never lonely at all.

I have always thought that you could split me into parts, and I have never thought that you could do it evenly. When I am home, I am lonely, but I am never alone; I am alone in the way that shattered glass is alone, or in the way that one-half of a broken bowl is alone. (That is to say: I am alone because I am in pieces, because I am a collection of ill-fitted segments.) I am empty in the way that a glass is either not-full or overflowing, but never right at the rim.

When the boy approaches me, his long, dark lashes fawn-like over the bright gold of his eyes, I stand my ground. He is larger than I am, and older, and, unlike me, there is something about him that seems to belong in this place – it is in the deerlike curve of his antlers, and the gold trailing from his wings, and the way that he is dark as umber and ebony, like the trunk of a great and old tree. He comes closer to me, and closer, and then closer still, and, though my blue eyes slit, I do not say a single word, even at the sound of his mournful whisper, even when he beseeches me to go with him into the woods like some passing spirit.

I don’t trust him. I don’t trust him in the same way that I don’t trust the brambles, or the trees, or the stars in the night sky. I don’t trust him because I know that this place wants to swallow me whole, and I know that my knowing is not simple imagining. I look towards the forest that he hopes to draw me into, and, though I do not shudder, my heart skips-beat twice. When I look back at him, I don’t see anything less gaping. I see the woods that I do not want to enter, and I see bright, metal-gold eyes that want something from me, and I know that I don’t want to give him a thing-

(I do not think that I will want to give anyone a single thing in my entire life. See, Solis sparked me from nothing, and I’ve always been in pieces; and if there is anything that I have learned of what people think when they look at god-granted things, it is that they always stare at them with expectation. See, Solis sparked me from nothing, and he’s never told me why, or what he wants from me – but no matter what, I won’t give it. I am my own, not anyone else’s bright thing. No one’s. That is what the desert has given me; or maybe that is what I have given myself.)

When I look at him, I am not quite glaring, but there is no welcome in my reptile-eyed stare. I look into those too-bright eyes a bit coldly, raising my chin to look up at him as best I can. “Mother says,” I say, my eyes narrowing, “that I shouldn’t go anywhere with strangers, and you are certainly… strange.

I am a strange thing, too. I am not quite fool enough to be unaware of that – but I do not say it with an empathetic familiarity. I say it in the way that I might say it to a hunting tiger, or to any other thing that might wish to lure me into a trap. What girl would be fool enough to follow a wolf into the depths of a wood that wishes to eat her alive?

I am not a girl. (I am not a wolf, either, but, if I tried, I think that I could be a viper.)

@Leonidas || <3 || atwood, "fox/fire song" 

"Speech!"

@

WHETHER YOU LOVE WHAT YOU LOVE OR LIVE IN DIVIDED CEASELESS REVOLT AGAINST IT
what you love is your fate.

please tag Diana! contact is encouraged, short of violence

Messages In This Thread
the changeling [fire] - by Diana - 10-22-2020, 09:49 PM
RE: the changeling [fire] - by Leonidas - 10-25-2020, 02:17 PM
RE: the changeling [fire] - by Diana - 10-25-2020, 03:19 PM
RE: the changeling [fire] - by Leonidas - 10-26-2020, 11:23 AM
RE: the changeling [fire] - by Diana - 10-27-2020, 09:21 PM