Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - the price of being remembered

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

you wanted to live forever, but didn't you realize? you had to die to be truly immortalized

I don’t recognize you. 

This fact seems of little consequence. I do not answer immediately; perhaps because the stranger’s voice interrupts the wind’s refrain and I had been cat close as I come to peace.

“And I don’t recognize you,” I state, at last. The silence that stretched might have been perceived as impolite, but I did not mean it as such. I only wanted—what? To remain a prisoner of my own thoughts a moment longer? 

(I cannot escape the memory—the memory of drowning, the water that rushes in the lungs, the way I could taste my own blood. The pulse of the current, a heartbeat I was within and without). 

“I suppose that’s the prerequisite of being strangers,” I add, more sarcastically. The edge of my humor is not harsh, however. “I’m Vercingtorix.” 

I have long since stopped giving false aliases. It seems unnecessary. Out at sea, Damascus tucks his quadruple wings and dives. It appears as though he might lunge into the sea; but at the last moment he careens away, snatching from the water a dolphin.

I feel it die, when Damascus swallows it in one deft toss of his head and continues circling. Perhaps he realizes I am not alone, because that circle becomes linear as he steers towards shore. 

« r » | @Asterion 

Messages In This Thread
the price of being remembered - by Vercingtorix - 11-23-2020, 10:55 AM
RE: the price of being remembered - by Asterion - 11-29-2020, 08:36 PM
RE: the price of being remembered - by Vercingtorix - 11-30-2020, 06:27 PM
RE: the price of being remembered - by Asterion - 12-02-2020, 03:49 PM