Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Willfur

The surest sign of strength
that I have ever seen
is gentleness
Willfur recognizes the Sovereign immediately. Ipomoea, with winged hooves and a bold snowcap marking laid over his shoulders and hips like an exquisitely white cloak, has been a prominent figure in the records of Delumine for some time, climbing the ranks, engaging in war, and eventually, taking the mantle of King. Caught by surprise, the mule's heart stutters a little in response, an unfamiliar sense of uncertainty churning toward anxiety in the pit of his stomach.

He's met powerful, culturally significant figures more than once in his life - a few more memorable than others - but he's never been concerned with how he might be received by one, until now. When they'd welcomed him, he stayed and explored, and when they'd not, he simply moved on. He'd never carried any hard feelings about it either way, though some found that difficult or even impossible to believe. There's just always been more of the world for him to see. Why should he desperately cling to a place he's unwanted when there are endless possibilities laid out in every direction? He'd never seen any sense in that, so it's an utterly foreign concept for him to realize, now, how sheltered by and tethered to the Library he feels, what a loss it would be if he were banned from it.

He's spent more than a year in Novus whole, venturing out at regular intervals to placate his curious nature, sometimes disappearing for several days at a time even, but always returning to roam the shelves of the Library, growing more and more content there with each passing hour of study. He likes the close, quiet air, as if the paper and cushions and leather bindings are continuously absorbing the stories around them, one thought at a time. He likes the tall windows looking out onto the gardens and the smell of oak and cedar and pine burning in the hearths built into several of the private rooms. He's made friends with the foxlike keepers, soft coated and earthy smelling when ruffled by an affectionate muzzle, which he often provides. No one had ever suggested he leave, but he hadn't really asked or given them an opportunity to either, and he fears the omission has gone on long enough to merit an insult now, if someone were inclined to take offense to such things. Confronted with the possibility, he finds that he does, desperately, want to stay.

Willfur smiles politely, accepting the invitation to come abreast and nodding in acknowledgement. "Good morning... Sir." He adds the honorific a little awkwardly, but sincerely, staring down at the Golden Orchid bloom and trying to temper his thoughts with some sense of decorum before making a complete fool of himself. "I've seen the species before, but none so large or bright as this. It's beautiful." He states simply, bending his head to brush one nostril against the velvet petals and wearing a thin dusting of yellow pollen on the ends of his whiskers when he draws back.

He starts to form the words of some stiff, ridiculously formal sentiment about Delumine being a good place to grow, but mercifully, he sneezes, stopped short and laughing self-deprecatingly as he tries to quickly wipe his nose on one knee and compose himself. "I'm sorry. I've been a little anxious to meet you, admittedly." He hesitates just long enough to inhale deeply, then rushes on, watching the other stallions reaction from the corner of his eye. "Uhm, I don't know what sorts of protocols there are for membership in the Courts, but I've been hanging around for quite a while now - I hope you don't mind - and I'd really like to stay, officially, I mean. I've met the Regent, Thana - though she didn't tell me she was Regent - and she's been..." He searches for the right words. "Encouraging, in her own way." She's refrained from eating him, at least - twice - and saved him from himself once. She's the one that brought him here, and thinking of that, he wonders how he might thank her properly. "I think I could be of use." He adds this only because he thinks it a requirement of not being violently thrown from the premises, and hopes it's enough.

"SPEAKING"

@Ipomoea

Messages In This Thread
Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Willfur - 11-28-2020, 01:46 PM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Ipomoea - 11-30-2020, 02:26 AM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Willfur - 12-08-2020, 01:36 PM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Ipomoea - 12-11-2020, 04:17 PM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Willfur - 12-21-2020, 12:23 PM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Ipomoea - 12-26-2020, 11:53 PM
RE: Better to Ask Forgiveness than Permission - by Willfur - 12-27-2020, 01:15 PM