Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - when you hurt under the surface

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Zombie [PM] Posts: 164 — Threads: 28
Signos: 385
Inactive Character

Even though the silver black mare is a warrior, she is a soft sort of creature. She is most certainly her mother’s daughter and it shows. Her mother had a kind soul and offered everyone she encountered some respect, even if they did not deserve it. Her mother’s feathers rarely got ruffled and when they did, it was because someone had threatened her own children. She was the best mother, a mother Katniss did not deserve. And yet, she loved Jaye. She loved her unconditionally.

It was because of her mother’s empathy that Katniss is softer than most soldiers. She has a way about people that makes them easy to talk to, easy to read, and always feeling relaxed in her presence. Katniss was a strange soldier in the sense that she used her honest nature to try to talk diplomacy before battle. Most would run hard into the front lines of battle while Katniss preferred less aggressive measures if at all possible. When those failed, she would act as she had been trained.

It was this empathetic side of her that had brought her to seek out Kassandra on this very beautiful morning. Katniss knew something was wrong, even if she didn’t understand the details. She wanted to speak to the blue and silver mare, but in a way that the mare wouldn’t feel threatened or pushed in a corner. She wanted to let her know that she had Katniss as a friend, an ear to listen to, and a shoulder to cry on. She wanted the mare to know that she was not alone, no matter what troubled her.

Thankfully, Kassandra was willing to sit with her and share a meal. Katniss offered her a fine smile, genuine and full of hope and joy. She leads the other to the grassy spot beneath the tall oak before lowering herself to the ground. When the other has finally joined her, she begins to unpack the spread she has prepared. It’s simple, bread and jam with some assorted fruits and nuts. It’s not the breakfast of a queen, but it’s an delicious one.

When Kassandra begins to speak, apologizing for not being able to provide any food for this picnic, Katniss shakes her head softly. “There is no need to apologize. I have more than enough for us both. Please, enjoy.” She motions at the food before she takes a slice of the fresh French loaf and spreads a heaping layer of apple jam on it. She bites into it, allowing the sweetness of the flavors to saturate her senses before she finally swallows. She gives Kassandra a little time to gather her breakfast, showing her that all was well by eating some herself. Finnick, ever watchful, perches himself in the oak as he looks down at his bonded. He hopes that there is leftovers because apple jam is his favorite. Katniss can hear the way he practically drools above her and for a moment, her eyes glance up at him, offering him a glare of warning. This was not for him.

But before she can breech the subject of why she has called Kassandra here, the mare is already speaking. Katniss turns her attention back to the other, listening quietly. She sighs softly when she is finish, thinking thoughtfully. “Denocte’s interests have always been my own. While so many things have changed, my goal still remains the same. I still want Denocte to thrive. I will always support my court, in whatever way it demands of me. There is no need to tank me for putting Denocte first, it is only sensible and right.” Katniss had always been uncomfortable when she was paid compliments. Never did she do an action for recognition, only because it was what her heart told her was right and true. Perhaps that is why she hates her title of Champion. Even in the core of her soul, she is just a soldier, fighting for her home and her freedom. The title puts her on a pedestal, something she doesn’t’ feel like she deserves.

But this meeting was not to puff up her feathers or her ego. This was about friendship. As Katniss has said, she will always do what is right for her home. Right now, that meant showing Kassandra that she was a friend. “…but I did not call you here this morning to talk about myself.” Her voice is soft, and there is a sense of uncertainty present, much more likened to nervousness rather than true uncertainty. “At the gathering, I noticed you seemed a little off, not really like yourself.” While Kassandra was not her best friend and their conversations had never been deep or frequent, she still noticed that something was not quite right. “I won’t’ pretend I know why, nor will I ask you to share, but I want you to know my hut is always opened. I will always have the time to sit and listen. And if there is anything I can do to make you smile again, please let me know and I will do it.” She wants to see the sparkle in her eye again, the hope and joy filling her soul. She just wants to let her know that she is here and available to be whatever Kassandra needs her to be.

@Kassandra

Messages In This Thread
when you hurt under the surface - by Katniss - 01-29-2021, 10:25 AM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Kassandra - 02-06-2021, 05:07 PM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Katniss - 03-17-2021, 06:35 AM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Kassandra - 03-31-2021, 01:22 PM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Katniss - 04-08-2021, 04:49 PM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Kassandra - 04-11-2021, 12:13 PM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Katniss - 04-18-2021, 10:01 PM
RE: when you hurt under the surface - by Kassandra - 08-15-2021, 05:39 PM