Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- Off the garden path [relic contest]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Nimue

Like a wraith, Nimue did not always realize where her hooves were taking her. Often she would wander, savoring the silence of being away from Court, from the minds of the other citizens with their intrepid nonsense. Just at the thought of it, she rolled her eyes. As a Sage, she was a keeper of knowledge and secrets and nothings. As a being much older than that -- cursing her lost immortality -- she knew much much more. What existed in the present and beyond. All that was lost to her, she gained to obtain again. Mindlessly, Nimue found herself climbing the rocky stairs to the top of the Peak at the heart of this world.

Stopping, Nimue swore as her hoof slipped on her blind side, catching on the mostly-melted snow on the crags. She looked up, blinking cold tears out of her eyes as the wind howled. At this altitude, the air was deliciously thin and crisp with cold. Winter still held her fingers onto the capped peak, melted in some places that were normally kissed by the sun. Moss and ivy grew in the places that were warm under daylight. Funny, that myth would say those who worship at the peak's pinnacle are graced by the gods. A folly, really. The mare would never admit aloud that she had contemplated asking the gods of the New World to strip her mortality away. Even now, she could not shake the feeling of her skin crumbling around her, her bones withering under her weight like the ruins of a castle. She felt every breath like she was flirting Death, longing for the bliss of timelessness once more.

But Nimue hadn't lowered herself to beg the gods just yet. So she wandered, trotting forward up the steep slope. The sky was a clear, cloudless night, inky and perfect in it's darkness. Stars glittered across the mass, close enough she felt she could touch them. She would not deign herself to ask the gods for guidance here; simply solace. A place to be as far away she could be. And what better place to go than one that felt as close to home as possible? Nimue scoffed. Glacies would scorn her for that one -- only the stars knew how she lived back then in another Court. For now, Nimue climbed, her good eye aimlessly tracking the path up, up, up.

---

OOC: First post with Nimue.. check! Apologizes if this is ridiculously rusty or choppy. It's been a hot minute since I've done roleplaying and equines omg O.o so please bear with me c: Also, please tag! I appreciate it <3

Thread title directly inspired by the Magicians :3

Rostislav

I'm broken, lying helpless, shattered,
surrounded by the world

I don't know why I've joined in this stupid quest thing. Content. Searching for a relic.. who cares? Who really cares? Some, at least, for Weir certainly seemed interested. And here I am joining the fray. So certainly it must be worth my time a little but... Or maybe I've got some issues that need working out..? (Likely.) I'm climbing the stairs up a mountain, and finally I'm happy to have a shaggy coat still. The air is chill as it wraps around my heat-loving body. I can see my breath out in front of me, but luckily it's not too cold. Thank goodness for small favors.

What does a relic even look like? I huff and puff, putting more exertion into the trek than my out of shape body is really prepared for. Up ahead on the steps I see a form, every now and then being obscured by the scenery. Finally a rosy dappled unicorn comes into view. Compared to Weir the mare seems plain, but I'm not picky. I put a little more effort into the work my limbs carry out, and try to catch up with her.

It's a struggle.. it's been a long time since I've done anything but meander, amble, and stumble around like a fool. Finally I think I'm closing the gap and I call out when I'm not too far behind. "Greetings Comrade!" It's more like a bark than a polite greeting. Good job Rosti, she'll probably take offense to your tone! Humph. "What brings you this high? Relics?" Or relic. Whatever. More than one might be a good thing if we all end up fighting over it. "All".. this is only the second equine I've seen, who knows how many I've seen.

I stop to catch my breath. Although I'm winded at least my breathing is soft. The dame is slender and lithe, and as my lungs play catch up, my eyes wander over her curves. Wouldn't it be nice to forget everything but the flesh, now and then? If only... but I'm not sure I feel up to charming anyone at the moment. So I resist adding any colorful comments and instead wait for her answer. But oh! "I am Rostislav."

"."

Victorina

I honestly don't know where I am, or how long i've been wandering. What I do know, is that somehow I have grown and aged in a much shorter amount of time than I thought possible. It seemed like just a few weeks ago, I was curled at Mama's side. Actually, I think it was a few weeks ago. But my body has grown to the point that I am at least as tall as Mama was, if not taller. Helovia, the one of my childhood at least is... Is gone. I don't know even now how to feel about that. But it gets worse, I haven't been able to find my Papa or any of my siblings either. So instead I wander, I wander and hope that maybe I will find one of them or at least someone that is family.

My wandering leads me up a mountain, and little to my knowledge, into a new land. My hooves click gently on the stone I move across. The cold air sends shivers down my spine. I might have draft lines in my blood, but I have lived in the desert of the Throat all my life. I am used to the warm sand cushioning my body as I sleep and my family all around. It's as I am descending down the other side, I come across two figures.

I make my way over, just in time to hear the stallion with horns across his face call himself 'Rostislav'. Why does that name sound familiar? So many stories Mama had told me in the short time she had with me. Most of her mother Kiara and her bonded panther Kieran. She told me how my coat looks a lot like her mother's had, only I did not have a white blanket across my rear and I had white markings she had not. Mama had also told me how her coat had favored her father, and oh how this stallion's coat reminds me of her. But surely, there is no way that he is the father from her stories. He has been absent a long time, and Mama did not hope of him ever returning.

I stopped a short distance off, unsure if I would be welcome by the pair or if I was intruding. At long last, I finally find my voice "Um, hello. I hope I am not intruding." I pause, only now realizing that I might have an accent from Helovia. "My name is Victorina. But um, if you don't mind me asking... Where are we?" How far have I wandered from home?

"Talking"

Victorina

Nimue

Up, up, up, the mare climbed. She has slowed down to a brisk walk, her lungs relishing the familiar bite of cold, thin air. Nimue was could see the trail begin to level off when an unwelcome voice barked at her from behind. She craned her neck around to look at him with her good eye. Nimue hoped her ears hadn't heard the male call her what she thought had he had. Comrade. She almost scoffed. Not deigning to turn around on the path, she narrowed her eyes at him. "Whatever I'm doing on this mountain is no business to you, stranger." Turning around, she began her trek again.

Nimue stopped, her heart thundering in her chest. Her slender ears pricked, listening to the brute's panted breaths. Although she disliked company and strangers, her eyes wandered over his appearance. She had never seen an equine with horns on his face like his. At least not in this world. Maybe once before, when she once watched over the timelines. But for now, it was... alluring and off-putting. Her curiosity ebbed and flowed, although it was beginning to win the mare over. His eyes trailed over her sleek form as she watched him. Nimue bit back a rude remark at that. Rostislav? An interesting name, although she would not admit it aloud.

Before she could speak, another presence arrived. A muscle in her mouth twitched, head tilting slightly to the side. A filly. So young, so.. naive. Nimue mentally smiled. The youngling had strawberry features, heavy features, and alluring markings. She looked out of place atop the still-snowy mountaintop in the heart of Novus. When she spoke, her voice sounded small, unsure. Nimue scoffed, rudeness coating her tongue. "You walked all way the up the trail of the mountain not knowing where you were going? Are you that lost, little one?" The mare blinked at the filly, breathing deeply. She had said her name.. something sweet. Almost doll-like. Nimue remembered the youth in her herd once upon a time. Although her patience for stupidity and ignorance wore thinner than spider silk, she remembered trying a bit harder when it came to younglings. Even before mortality, she treasured watching the young -- to learn everything and see the world for it's new-ness. She treated them differently. Taking another deep inhale, she spoke. "Is there something I can help you with, little one?" she said, her tone more soft towards the filly, and completing ignoring the brute standing near her.

---

OOC: I'm sorry for the late reply dearies! I'm not proud of this post imsosorryD: Usually I'm pretty good about staying on track. Just a heads up though.. my activity will be low from June 24th - July 5th! Thank you for replying to this thread and dealing with my moody Nim x)

@Rostislav @Victorina

Rostislav

surrounded by the world

The rosy lady is nothing like Weir. Only their gender really links them, and their general paleness. But this bitch... her attitude matches her pelt, matches the weather of the peak - cold. If I were a normal stallion her immediate rebuke might have stung like a slap to the face. But I have been stung by far, far worse. I have been stung by hornets and you are but a honey bee. I can't help but smirk as she turns and continues away from me. "I'm not put off so easily, love." That, and now I feel I've got a challenge. Not that I have an overwhelming desire to be with this stone-cold creation. But her attitude is enough to wake something inside me that says - yes, I'll have a cup of that. Her gaze tells me she's intrigued.. though I sense perhaps she doesn't want to be.

But no one.. can resist.. THE MACHINE!!

My thoughts are broken by the arrival of a young mare, still more like a filly than an adult. Her naïveté is palpable; her thoughts are worn not just on her face but her entire body. I feel a small pang.. tenderness.. though why tenderness must be painful I'm not sure. I tilt my head with curiosity and feel the adrenaline ebb, lessening though not entirely disappearing from my body.

Victorina, she calls herself. It's not a name I've ever heard, though why should I? No one here in Novus is familiar to me. The older mare is snarky in her 'greeting', if you could call it that, and I felt myself bridle. "There's no need to be rude to her," I snap. But then Icy seems to soften. Completely ignoring me, her next question to the filly is gentle and actually helpful.

I step forward. I glance over the child. She's heavily built and a bright strawberry roan. Were I the cradle-robbing type I might have made a pass - I have an unspoken thing for roans.... but luckily for everyone, I'm not the creepy uncle. My tone is sweet as well when I speak. "Victorina, I am Rostislav. I, too, am wandering unknown paths. But this world is called Novus." I spare a second's pointed look at the pale unicorn, implying displeasure that she couldn't have just answered Victorina's question simply and helpfully. "Certainly if we can help, we will." Better toss my card into that hat, too. Just because I can be an asshole doesn't mean I have to be.

"."
@Victorina

Victorina

So the first to reply to my questions is the mare. I resist the urge to roll my eyes at the bitchy response. Last thing I really needed right now was someone with a 'i'm better than you' attitude. I mean really. I might be up a mountain, but what better place to try and see where the hell I am and how far from Helovia I have come? "There's no need to be rude to her," Well I wasn't expecting that. I stare at the stallion, my mind still trying to figure out why his appearance seemed to stand out so well in my mind. Not to mention the fact he is seeming to come to my aid. "Is there something I can help you with, little one?" Ugh please. Seriously, now you want to help me? Thankfully the stallion reintroduces himself as Rostislav and informs me I am in Novas. A new land. This is going to be interesting.

So I take a deep breath, the cold air chilling my lungs. I have to admit I am not used to the cold, and really hope that all of this Novas place isn't cold. "Thank you Rostislav." I pause only for a moment as the mare had not given her name. I guess some lack manners too. "Can either of you tell me more about this place, Novas that is." I think getting more information is the best move for now. I mean, the more the better right?

My mind spins, thinking of home and all I have left behind. Will I ever see my family again? Okay, maybe I am not as worried about most of my siblings as many of them are older than me. But what of the newborns? What of Papa and the rest of the herd? "I come from a land called Helovia... Have either of you ever heard of it?" Okay, maybe not a smart move but what could it hurt right? Maybe i'd be in luck and one would know of it and could at least tell me if this new place is anything like my old home...

"Talking"

@Nimue
@Rostislav

Victorina

Nimue

Her temper began to bubble as the stallion chastised her tone. Ohh. Now things are finally getting interesting. She blew air through her nostrils, glaring at the brute. "My name is not love," she spat, the insult dripping off her tongue like acid. Nimue was truly starting to dislike his presence, and without thinking, her body was leaning away from him. Only the gods would know how much she yearned for peace and quiet, for the pure gift of silence. No silly lost fillies atop a mountain, and definitely no ridiculous stallions.

Nimue drew her attention back to the filly. The stallion -- Rostislav -- was polite to her. Ahh. So her name was Victorina. Pretty. Delicate, like a doll. Fitting, too, with her bright strawberry-colored coat. As a matter of fact, despite her draft-like build, her whole demeanor felt small, like the air around her was sucking in to accentuate that fact. The effect diminished after her attention was again pulled away, and unfortunately, tuned back to the stallion She couldn't quite place it, but there was something to his sweet tone towards the youngling that was mildly off-putting. The mare mentally rolled her eyes.

Impatient, she shifted her weight from hoof to hoof. Oh, how she would love to just turn away and walk off without so much as caring what happened to those two. The only reasons why she stayed was her curiosity. Simply, Nimue liked to hoard information. Especially since she currently did not have access to her gifts, information was valuable. Something tangible that could be bought and sold. Which brought her to another thought.. the relics. The stallion had mentioned something about a search for relics, she believed. She had set a mental course to the blessed aclove atop the peak at it's highest point; a place said to be graced by the gods themselves. Maybe.. maybe something ancient could be found there? She smiled to herself, content with being a little greedy.

Victorina had spoken. Nimue could have smirked when she mentioned the brute. Instead, the corner of her mouth twitched upwards. "I do not usually give away information for free, little one," she said, voice smooth as silk. Ahh, yes. Nimue relished in the rumors of her being a witch. If she had to scare off the poor thing, she would, just to be alone again. Especially if it meant she could search for treasure by herself... Helovia? That caught her attention. Oh, the filly was full of surprises! Although she would never admit it aloud, the name of the far off land sounded familiar to her. Like a half-remembered dream, before she was mortal and had once watched over the co-existing realities of the universe. Instead, she shook her delicate head. "I'm afraid I do not know of such a place."

---

OOC: Miss Sassypants xD Apologizes because I'm still shaking off equine&rpg dust! Hope it's better c:

@Rostislav @Victorina

Rostislav

surrounded by the world

I ignore the sassy mare's retort. Her attitude should put me off, but it doesn't. Instead I stay light-hearted and smile at her, certain that my resolute calm will annoy her even further. Despite the lady's OBVIOUS irritation, she stays. Who knows what kept her - boredom, curiosity? It would keep me, too. I turn my attention away from the no-named creature (for that is how she wished to stay), and instead back to Victorina. I find myself immediately shocked when she mentions Helovia. I choke on air and my body stiffens as I take a step closer to her. "Helovia?!" Did she really say that? I thought that for sure I was the only one that survived that madness. And Damaris, who I was sure was still alive somewhere, somehow. An ache began to fill inside me, but I couldn't put it into words. "I am from Helovia, but I was gone for along time before.... the end." I sputter a little bit, and feel shame at my inability to contain my emotions, to speak clearly. Am I a man or what?!

I glance toward the mare, knowing that I've left myself open to ridicule. But didn't I just say I don't care? And though I feel a twinge of.. something... inside, that remains the same. I glance back to Victorina and chapping lips part again. "I do not know of Novus the way I knew of Helovia. Obviously I am as fresh a face here as you are." I throw a slightly judgmental look at the mare. "Does your ladyship have any knowledge of Novus? Or are you just a pretty face?" That'll light her up - HA! The pain and sadness inside me does not fade, though I've pushed the conversation. Where are some painkillers when I need them? Emotional painkillers, of course - Prozac, Zoloft.. something.

"."
WC: 307
Tag: @Victorina

Nimue

The rosy mare tried hard -- but not too hard -- to refrain from rolling her eyes at the brute. She stood there, sizing him up despite her delicate stature. A muscle twitched above her brow as he flashed her a wide grin. He was severely testing her patience, and Nimue knew better than to say he wasn't doing it on purpose. Every moment passed and she felt her buttons being pushed more and more. But still, she stayed. Selfishness, perhaps, kept her rooted, although if things did not change and change quickly... well, Nimue found she didn't really have a reason to stay.

She did not so much as flinch when the stallion lurched a step forward towards the little filly when she mentioned the land called Helovia. He sputtered out that he was also from this far off place, surprise coating his words. Nimue almost rolled over laughing, but instead a quiet, wicked chuckle rumbled in the back of her throat. Amused, she pointedly eyed him when he threw a judgmental look her way. Her lower lip hung wide for a moment at "ladyship but she quickly closed it. Instead of anger broiling in her blood, she cooled it and ice coated her words in a thick frost. "I believe I already mentioned I do not give out information for free," she spat out. 

Sucking in a sharp breath, she turned her body towards the upward slope of the mountain, one hoof poised to step up the natural stone stairs. For a moment she craned her neck around to the two strangers, a wickedly sweet smile pulling at her velvet lips. "As you've run out my quota for patience today, I will be off. If you ever do feel like asking me for real answers, you can come find me in the court of the rising sun." With that, she trotted a few steps away, taking the steps a few at a time. As she departed, words flew back on the breeze to the two strangers; completely aware that they may or may not hear them,  but then again, she did not care.

"I'm Nimue."

---

OOC: I'm sorry for posting out of order but it felt like the best thing to do with how the scene is going! Maybe this will help wrap things up, perhaps? (Since the Relic Contest has started it's second phase and all!)

@Rostislav @Victorina

Rostislav

surrounded by the world

The frosty mare remains frosty. In fact she might bring the next ice age with how cold her reply is, how hard her body language remains. But apparently Victorina and I have worn out our welcome with the pale mare, and Ms. Icy is already turning to leave. I stare blankly at her, part of me pleased she's leaving, part of me disappointed. But at the very least, she graces us with her name, so that at least I'll know what to call her should I meet her in the future. Nimue.

I glance at Victorina, and offer a much warmer smile that Nimue could ever have presented. (At least, that's my personal opinion.) "Don't mind her. But.. perhaps we should venture down, it's getting a little chilly up here." I turn to follow the path back down the peak that I had come up in the first place. "I hope that we meet again, lass, and can talk more of our old home." My heart pains me as memories come flooding back, and I'm not sure this is a conversation I can have right now. So instead I leave, dragging my feet as I leave the filly behind.

@Victorina - wrappin' this one up! ^_^
"."

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »