Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - a voice in the dark

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Staff [PM] Posts: 309 — Threads: 165
Signos: 989,640
Official Novus Account

calling your name

In the days following the volcanic eruption and the release of the ivy bridge, the island was swarmed with horses from all walks of life. Each of the four Courts and the outlying Vagabonds came to see the magic and mystery for themselves, whispering amongst themselves of the strangeness of the land.

Some came up with wild claims to explain the sudden appearance of a new land; a few even correctly attributed it to the god of time. 

“You there!”

The voice would call the brightly-colored stallion from within the forest, where shadows shrouded the stranger who spoke. Try as Huehuecoyotl might, he will be unable to identify the person who calls out to him.

“Yes, you! Come here!”

Perhaps it is curiosity that will bring him forward, despite knowing he cannot fight what he cannot see. Or perhaps he will ignore the voice completely, and continue on down the beach - but what fun would that be?

If he decides to follow, the voice will lead him on into the forest, until he cannot see the sand or waves behind him. Green foliage will close in all around him, and still the stranger will not show themselves. Occasionally an oddly pale light will flit in the corner of his vision, and mysterious laughter may accompany the movement.

When next the voice speaks, it seems to be coming from all around him. 

“Stallion of black and white and green, man with the bright blue eyes, riddle me this, and I will give you a treat.

I can be seen, but not felt,
I can be heard, but not heldt.
Alive without breath,
More active in death, 

Who am I?”

An optional mini quest for @Huehuecoyotl:

Congratulations! You have rolled a 6 in SWP Act IV, and your character has encountered a Random Event because of it.

After Coyote's next reply, the RE account will reply once more. Please tag both the @ and @sid in your reply! This thread can stay a one shot for Coyote alone, or you can allow others to join if you’d like it to continue as a thread! The choice is your’s. ❤

Replying to this prompt is not required, but will grant @Huehuecoyotl +1EXP!
There is no time limit on this thread.

To tag this account: @*'Random Events' without the asterisk.
Please be advised, tagging the Random Event account does not guarantee a response!

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 91 — Threads: 10
Signos: 0
Dawn Court Apothecary
Male [He/Him/His]  |  14 [Year 496 Winter]  |  16.2 hh  |  Hth: 25 — Atk: 15 — Exp: 36  |    Active Magic: Raven Shifter  |    Bonded: N/A

being fabulous is the absolute best revenge
This island... This crazy island was the bane of his existence it seemed. Everyone was fascinated by the insanity that surrounded the island and the idea of a relic or something that might be hiding there. Even with the craziness, he could not seem to keep away from it. That fact alone made him laugh. Yep... He might be irritated with the fascination, but yet he was here again.

“You there!” Huehuecoyotl jumped to the right, head raised and ears pricked to anything he might hear around him. Cyan eyes wide, Coy looked around him in an effort to see whatever or whoever had called out to him. Nothing seemed to be anywhere near him and he snorted as he bent his ebony neck. Funny enough, that was the only part of his body that didnt have multiple colors painting his glorious pelt.

“Yes, you! Come here!” The voice came again. This time, the ebony, ivory, and acid stallion kept his cool and frowned at the shadows within the tree filled forest. Grumbling, he picked a shadow that seemed to be the darkest and stared into it. He couldnt see anything, but that didnt mean that there was nothing there. "Who are you?" Coy snapped, ears pinning back as he glared into the abyss of darkness. "What do you want with me?" His usually velvet voice was deepened by irritation and a touch of unease. He was the one that usually played pranks on others. Having another doing the same to him was infuriating and made him want to destroy the being.

“Stallion of black and white and green, man with the bright blue eyes, riddle me this, and I will give you a treat. I can be seen, but not felt, I can be heard, but not held. Alive without breath, More active in death, Who am I?” Coy could not hide the groan that slipped from his lips. "Seriously?! A stupid riddle? Who in the world is supposed to know what it means? You could make the riddle thinking about a God but yet one could claim it is darkness itself... or a ghost. Why would you call to a ghost?! Dont you know that you are supposed to let the dead rest in peace?!" He was ranting as he tried to figure out the riddle.

Coy paused, eyes closed and expression pained. "That is it, isnt it? It is a ghost. Seen but not felt... You can feel the effects of a ghost, but not the actual ghost itself. They are not corporeal... Heard, again... you can hear the words or sounds but cannot hold what you cannot feel or touch. Alive without breath... well... that could point toward many things. Zombies dont need to breathe and are dead but still alive... Again, ghosts. But that brings in the question of what is life? Active in death again brings in the question of what is life." He was taking things step by step, working through the chaotic and dumb riddle the best way that he could. Uzuri could probably figure it out in a heartbeat.

"Ugh! Who are you?! What do you want?! No sane horse would start their conversation with a dumb riddle! All that serves to do is to infuriate the one that you creep up on and attempt to scare! Besides, that is my job! I am the one that enjoys pranking others and making them jump!" He grumbled as he did another slow circle to try to figure out what in the world was going on. He didnt even notice the glossy black feathers that had broken out on his ebony neck in the midst of the emotions and stress that were roiling in his brain.

@ - @sid
"Coy Sass"
credits

Played by Offline Staff [PM] Posts: 309 — Threads: 165
Signos: 989,640
Official Novus Account

A Random Event Has Occurred!

A smile appears from the shadows, teeth carved into wicked fangs. A pair of eyes, as green as the stallion’s markings, blink into existence above it.

“You are right, and you are wrong.” 

Its voice is like laughter, sliding between the trees. But the stranger does not reveal themselves; each time the eyes blink closed, they reappear in another place, so that the stallion must spin around to find them each time.

“At the heart of the forest is a meadow of sand. There you will find the answer, be it a ghost or a god or the relic. Perhaps you will find only death.”

The trees rustle, bending away to reveal a path. The wind kicks up in an instant, seeming to push the stallion towards the path. It tugs at his mane, whispering a soft good luck into his ear.

Perhaps it’s the island playing more tricks on him. Or perhaps the relic truly is at the heart of the island.

@Huehuecoyotl has been awarded +1 EXP for this random event.

Enjoy!

To tag this account: @*'Random Events' without the asterisk.
Please be advised, tagging the Random Event account does not guarantee a response!

Played by Offline Chaosy [PM] Posts: 91 — Threads: 10
Signos: 0
Dawn Court Apothecary
Male [He/Him/His]  |  14 [Year 496 Winter]  |  16.2 hh  |  Hth: 25 — Atk: 15 — Exp: 36  |    Active Magic: Raven Shifter  |    Bonded: N/A

being fabulous is the absolute best revenge

“You are right, and you are wrong.” 

Coy snarled softly as he listened, then lifted his gaze to see teeth and acidic eyes staring at him. Starting, he eyed them warily with his own cyan orbs. The creature blinked and then disappeared, causing Coy to spin to try to figure out where it went. Over and over, the eyes blinked out of existence only to reappear in the brush somewhere else. "What kind of idiotic creature speaks in only riddles?! Stop moving around and give me a straight answer!" He snapped at the eyes in the moment between blinks, a rustle of ebony feathers erupted on his back to join the group on his neck. At this rate, the tri-colored stallion would be covered in them, not that he had even noticed them yet.

“At the heart of the forest is a meadow of sand. There you will find the answer, be it a ghost or a god or the relic. Perhaps you will find only death.” The words caused Huehuecoyotl to pause and mull over the message. "Meadow of sand... so like a desert? But that means trying to get sand out of my pelt for months!" He wailed softly, snorting in irritation at the voice and green eyes. "Ghost... God... or Relic... What are you, some demented god of the underworld here to destroy innocent bystanders to feed your selfish desires?! Perhaps you will find death! Perhaps I will figure out a way to drop this dumb island into the sea and destroy your special playground!" Yeah... yelling at a voice that could be a god or ghost was not the greatest idea... but Coy was irritated, confused, and scared and he was definitely not thinking rashly.

Right about that time, the island decided to do something else that was creepy. Coy groaned as he watched the path come to view and felt the wind pushing him toward it. "Yes... lets push the stallion onto a path that could be the perfect ambush spot and see if he will take the bait." He grumbled softly before feeling the wind again. A voice whispered with the wind's caress and he jumped to the side and looked around.

"Good luck... Yeah... Because that wasnt insanely creepy." He spat at the forest around him before sighing and heading down the path. Why did he get pulled into these things?!

@ - @Sid
"Coy Sass"
credits