Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - the red bird comes all winter

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ipomoea

yesterday i was clever
i wanted to change the world

H
is question hangs heavily in the air between them, and he can feel the way the air itself seems to shift. It feels much heavier now, more expectant. He half expects to hear the walls utter a shaky sigh when Somnus breaks the silence.

Ipomoea glances at the window once again, where the red bird tilts his head and stares back at him. He ruffles his vibrant wings and chirps cheerfully once, as if to say go on. Something bright is twinkling in his dark eyes, a hint of mischievousness that gives him the impression of knowing more than he should, an air of surprising intelligence.

Ipomoea’s lips twitch, a ghost of a smile that vanishes as quickly as it appeared. And then he turns, and the two stallions walk alongside one another down the halls. The ring of their hooves against the marble floor matches, and their shadows are cast long and dark in their wake. Walking eases his heart somewhat, so that it settles itself into a steady, reassuring tempo, consumed in its own task. He listens to it, on the reverberations he can dimly feel in his chest, on the sound of his own pulse. And he focuses on the halls of the citadel as they pass through it, taking comfort in the familiarity, the steadfastness of it all.

When Somnus speaks, he tilts a mottled ear in the dunalino’s direction.

At first he tenses, subconsciously expecting a rebuke for his actions; he had been gone longer than anticipated, like a windblown leaf carried across the plains, unable to find its way back to the forest. Winter, spring, summer - now it was fall, and nearly an entire year had gone since Ipomoea had last been home. But it had been necessary; he was sure of it then, and time had only solidified that sense of self righteousness.

He’s practiced that response a thousand times over, and he’s ready to deliver it now - but he doesn’t. And perhaps it’s good that he holds his tongue; Ipomoea had come prepared to fight, to defend himself and Delumine.

And now, he finds that Somnus again seemed to understand without him needing to say a word.

They stop then, and he recognizes the alcove they’re standing in. He takes a breath, and turns. Light tinted green from ivy and other climbing vines pours in through the window, a curtain of green through which the gardens are visible as a splash of color. The wildflowers had faded, but oh how the trees now stood in all their glory! Each seemed crowned in fire now, the maples and aspens and dogwoods all standing proudly in their fall fashion. And among them the evergreens were all the more noticeable, groves of dark green needles accentuating the autumn tones.

Ipomoea looked, and it was a sight he had seen a thousand times over in his dreams, presented now in astonishing clarity. A vine crawled through the open window, reaching out to touch his shoulder.

“Somnus,” he said quietly, meeting the pegasus’ gaze. Green like Viride, he thinks silently to himself, and wonders how he hasn’t made that connection yet. The distance, the time spent apart, it had all made him see better. He can’t deny the truths Somnus speaks - the same he can’t deny the way his heart feels suddenly like it’s crowing, the way his mind has already accepted it as his right. As the reason why he’s come home.

He swallows thickly, and extends his muzzle out to greet Somnus in an affectionate nuzzle. There’s a sadness lingering there in his eyes, but one of knowing.

“I always thought of Delumine’s quiet as a thing of peace, and sanctuary. And so it rightfully is; but what good is a sanctuary if those in need never find it? The world begins again, my friend, and like the trees we too must change our leaves when the time comes.”

When he pulls away there is a determination in his eyes, and before he can think to stop himself he lowers himself before Somnus, and arches his neck into a bow.

“Our strength is in our roots, and I will do my best to honor Delumine. You have my word.”

A new leaf buds on the vine. Even with the cold embrace of winter lying so near, hope and life continue to grow.

@Somnus "speaks" let the reunion commence

Messages In This Thread
the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 09-19-2019, 02:41 AM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 10-01-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 12-09-2019, 07:14 PM