Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - i never thought i'd live this life without your guiding light

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline bruiser [PM] Posts: 5 — Threads: 3
Signos: 50
Inactive Character

GIRL WITH AN ACCENT OF BLOOD
Sixty years. The knowledge rang in her ears, hanging heavy like a millstone around her neck. It had been sixty years of time robbed from her, sixty years of everyone she has ever known continuing to live and eventually dying while she had laid asleep in the swamp, sixty years of the Ager rotting away and forgotten. Sixty years while the Ilati had faded away into obscurity, sixty years since her mother had been informed her daughter had disappeared and had died not knowing what had become of her, hidden away in the swamp they had called home where even the Ilati dared not tread.

Sixty years of grief in the span of a few hours, weighing upon her slender shoulders until she felt like she could drown beneath it.

It hadn’t taken her long to find her mother’s grave amongst the family’s burial grounds, and she almost wept at how the moss had all-but-obscured the name etched into the gravestone, the same way history had seemingly hidden her mother’s existence from the world, unable to credit an Ilati priestess for the Halcyon commander who had brought a new era to Terrastella.

She doesn’t feel like that Commander any more, only a child who has lost her mother, and the tears begin to fall as she sets about the task of beginning to clear the gravestone that has been abandoned for decades, tenderly brushing the moss away with a wing.

Oh, momma, what I wouldn’t give to hear your voice again...

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

WE MUST ALWAYS BE WILLING TO BE MORE SAVAGE TO THE ANGELS. RIP UP THEIR FLESH AND REVEAL THEM TO BE NOTHING BUT THE DREAMY, VOIDLESS HAZE OF LAVENDER AND GODHOOD WITH YOUR VIRTUE SHREDDING TEETH. DO NOT WEEP WHEN THEIR WINGS THRASH. DO NOT BE SURPRISED WHEN THERE ARE NOTHING BUT GHOSTS IN THEIR HEART. 

I discover, today, something I hate more than the sea. 

The swamp is deception. My breath fogs the air in the dusky autumn, and I wonder what creatures lurk hidden and unseen in both the murky water and overhanging Cyprus. The water that pools now is stagnant, and I have heard it is because it is the dry season. It is wetter in the winter and the spring, they tell me, and I wonder what lurks then. Crocodiles? Great fanged beasts? I find this land both revolting and intriguing for all the monstrosities it must hold; and as I wander, I discover the addictive nature of my limitless freedom. The island of my boyhood could be travelled in three days time. There were only three villages, and I had once run from one side of the island to the other, only resting twice. Novus is much larger and now I trek to see the mountains, which are in the North, and that is all I know.

So through the swamp I wander, and I curl my lip at the distasteful odours of stagnant water and rich, rich earth. It is almost enough to make me miss the sterility of the sea; the unforgiving bleakness of the cliffs. There is too much green and brown, even in the cusp of autumn, and it is all uneasy. There must be eyes in the trees. I avoid the pooling water at all costs and, in my avoidance, I find myself lost. 

I suppose, then, I should consider myself lucky when I discover the slender buckskin on a sturdier plot of land beside a gravestone. 

That only goes so far, however; to consider oneself lucky after coming upon the grieving. I do not know the etiquette for such a scenario, and I found myself wordless for longer than is polite. Finally: “I apologise to intrude on a private matter. I wouldn’t, if it weren’t for the fact...” I trail off, before regaining courage. I offer a sheepish, embarrassed smile. “I’m lost. I was on my way to the mountains. Verenor?” I do not know what other explanation to give, other than the simple and whimsical fact I have never seen mountains.

I can imagine, then, exactly what my father would say:

There’s no fucking time for that shit. Get it together. You’re a man. You don’t get to chase dreams 

I amend: “Or… really, anywhere. Perhaps Terrastella. I haven’t seen it yet, and I'm looking for employment.” 

And what are you good for my father would ask.

I don’t know.

I don’t know.

And the only searching I can think of is to return to the sea and wait

wait. 

wait. 

I feel rude, and I say, "I'm sorry for your loss." 

IF THEY OFFER YOU THEIR LIPS, TAKE THEM AND THEN CRUSH THEM WITH YOURS. DO NOT BE AFRAID OF DESTROYING THEM. WHEN THEY COME DOWN FROM THE UNIVERSE WITH THIRD DEGREE BURNS, LET THEM EMBRACE YOU. WHEN THEIR VOICE IS MEEK, LAUGH AND TELL THEM THAT THE MEEK ARE GOING TO GET WHAT'S COMING TO THEM. HOW WILLING YOU MUST BE TO KILL ANGELS. AND HOW WILLING THEY MUST BE TO LET YOU DO IT. 

Pimrsi @ deviant art.com