Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - ninety-nine problems

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline RB [PM] Posts: 51 — Threads: 3
Signos: 1,095
Inactive Character

and they all bitches

There is plenty of magic in my family. Hagar has charmspeak, which she uses with abandon, and a complete lack of remorse; and Adonai, before he—well, there was a time when he was noted across Solterra not only for the power of his water-magic but the irony of it. My mother, they say, made us from sand. (Most of the time I don’t believe it.) But I… I am lacking. There are the snakes, sure, but I cannot control them. They are their own beings, attached to me not out of duty but necessity. If they could survive without me, I know that they would be gone as fast as possible. I know they would leave without a glance backward. 

All this to say I was raised around witches. The way he looks at me—with his eyes burning, with his brow furrowed, his lip curled; with wide, sharp arcs of crackling blue running the length of his wings, then his spine, rib to hip—does not scare me.

So, though I am surprised that such a short interaction between us has already brought out so much of his ferocity, I do not flinch. I do not blink or turn away. Instead, very deliberately, I raise a brow; I am entertained, my eyes calm almost to the point of sleepiness, expression schooled to neutrality. I am careful about this because I know it will inflame him; and I know it will inflame him simply because I know him. Or I know his kind. Full of rage, and the thought that that rage is righteous. He thinks he is the only man in the world with a pain in his heart. He thinks he is the only one of us who has a right to be furious. 

It is pathetic. Childish. But I understand the allure: the world is much quieter when you are the only one in it.

The snakes are fully awake now. One nips at my ear, which stings but in a brief, wake-up! way I have become completely used to. They are saying what I have already surmised, which is: he is your type.

Dark and brooding. Tortured. No matter if it’s self-inflicted. 

There is a scattering sound, like birds from a shaken tree. Behind him, a few of the more touristy-looking library-goers have fled for the hills, exchanging panicked looks, the sound of their hooves clicking quick over the hard-packed dirt. Perfect, the boy snarls. Suddenly he is surrounded by an aura of flickering energy, blue and pink and then all shades of rainbow.

I shrug. Turn my eyes down to a new book. Pretend I’m not interested at all. For a moment I am reabsorbed in something else. I am uncaring and unfeeling. 

Why were you staring?

At home we have many servants. A few of them I flirt with so often it has become regular, and they have become bold enough to meet my eyes when I do so, and smile, or even come upstairs with me. It would be much easier to go back home with one of them. For a moment I think about it—saying no, turning around. But where is the satisfaction in wanting someone who wants you back?

“Why does anyone?” I flip a page, lazily curl a leg closer toward my stomach. “I thought you were worth a stare. Never mind.”

But I look him up and down again, almost-but-not-quite slow enough to be slow. 

@Andras

Messages In This Thread
ninety-nine problems - by Pilate - 12-29-2019, 03:27 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Andras - 12-29-2019, 04:36 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Pilate - 12-29-2019, 11:14 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Andras - 12-30-2019, 02:06 AM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Pilate - 12-30-2019, 12:57 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Andras - 12-30-2019, 09:26 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Pilate - 12-30-2019, 11:32 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Andras - 12-31-2019, 02:16 AM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Pilate - 12-31-2019, 04:13 PM
RE: ninety-nine problems - by Andras - 12-31-2019, 07:46 PM