Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Worship  - I Watch The World Ignite

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Noctiilucent

Girl in the fire, do you pray when you're on your knees...

Huff. Huff.

Puffs of her wispy vapor disappeared into the thin cold air. Upwards she climbs. Toward the mountain's peak, she climbs. She drifts like a phantom up the treacherous, winding paths. Veneror Peak. Where the gods choke on the acrid ash spewing from the masses below. The devout who destroy the world, and each other in the name of these gods. They pray and bow and sin all in the same breath. She is here for the same reasons all of those devourers come. She seeks something from the deities. She seeks answers. Noctii will scream and roar until the fire in her lungs is extinguished.

The chill of winter chews through her porcelain flesh. It aches in the absence of the fire. Noctii plans to ask Caligo if she will accept a traitorous daughter. If only to truly abandon the sun, and embrace the smoke and stars of Denocte. The heathen is here to pray. Into the cave, she slithers like the snake she is. They will scoff and swallow her whole. It is unknown when they will spit her out. These gods are not like Reth. They are entities that dare not flirt with the mortals in the way Reth's gods do. In some ways, it makes them more responsible than the old gods. Noctii was not one of the devout. The devout are indentured by their deities.

Darkness.

It drips like ink. Slowly. The viscous substance has her now. It won't let go. Noctii swims through the darkness with great reluctance. Echoes of her footfalls ricochet off the cavern walls. 

The statues are toppled.

She approaches them in a lovingly, she descends upon them quickly. Her ivory lips caress them mournfully. Her eyes do not weep for their ruin. Noctii does not stop until she comes to caress the stature of Caligo. Noctii sets to work gathering the stones. Large and small. She places them upon an empty altar until they rest in a pile atop it. "Caligo," She begins. "Will you love the heathen that abandoned the sun? Can she be your daughter if she does not worship you?" Noctii's question falls in the empty atmosphere.

"Isra tells me you will." She smiles as she speaks. Noctii knows Caligo will not answer her. Not like the old gods. Her insecurities about her identity will only be shared in this empty cavern of ruin. 

Noctii moves to assemble the shattered statues upon their respective altars. No, she is not devout, but she is compassionate. She comes to stand near the carefully assembled pile that was Caligo's statue once more. "You all fight like children, but I too know the boon of a difficult sibling. You bring us omens and expect us to architect the destruction of your kin. That is a battle for all of you gods. So love your children... Love me... and I will only show you compassion. I will not worship you. I won't make that mistake again." She whispers to Caligo.

"Tell me if you can love a daughter as traitorous as I." She begs of the statue. She can feel them. Noctii does not believe she will receive an answer this day. 

She turns to depart, convinced her trek to the peak has concluded.

Words: 543 | Notes: -- | Tags: --

... Or do you wait and watch as it bleeds