Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Don't Burn the Merchandise

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Silasthein

The secrets we keep..

The man who’d roused him was quiet, it seemed that he might have the patient of a saint. Thready breaths escaped from his lungs, but they did not exhale the pain the felt. Silas watched the man’s expression change, he could have sworn he almost saw his features soften. It was hard to tell with the edges of his vision fading into black. The sight should have terrified the old mage. It didn’t. When the man speaks, there is a wild smirk upon his face. It contorts his lips into a makeshift grin. The words earn another laugh from the mage, but it is one of skepticism. The danger of his fall suddenly hit him, but he doesn’t bother letting the stranger know. His heart pounds and races wildly outside of his control. His heart doesn’t listen to rational thought, it listens to that tiny lizard brain of his. “No, I don’t suppose it is. Not yet anyway.” His words flowed like a river of humor, he still sounded as though the event didn’t phase him. Silas felt too shocked by the events to process it here. The man commented on his body protesting it. “It does feel like death. These aging bones certainly don’t appreciate being woken up so violently. I mean, I don’t blame them, I am the one who threw them out of a tower after all. I am not immortal here, yet.” He agreed with another laugh, and sputter of crimson liquid falling from his pale lips.

Silas noted that the man did not rush to his side and dote on him, it was something he appreciated. He had never been one to rely on others heavily, even in life-threatening situations like this one. He felt the eyes of the stranger fall upon him, they were ravenous. Silas did not know what they hunted for, what the stranger hunted for.  Yet, his smirk transformed into a smile. It was a spirited expression, and Silas found himself reflecting that smile to his companion. His left side ached, and he felt the pain growing. He couldn’t be here long, not if he actually wanted to survive such a fall. The stranger admitted that he was a poor guide, and that he was also new. A world called Novus. Silas didn’t recall ever hearing about the world of Novus. Perhaps he had and it was buried in ancient texts in his vast library in Muramir. Yet, he did not remember it. Silas wasn’t one to forget the travelers of another world. He’d spent centuries learning from them. Ah, that was why he did not feel so alarmed by this development. Silas had not aged in centuries, but that magic had fled along with the rest of his arcanum. The stranger’s face contorted into something different this time. It was an expression that Silas couldn’t place. It still retained the ravenous quality from before, but it was tainted by something. Still, Silas did not feel the need to be wary of this man yet. Why would he rouse a stranger and carry on so jovially with a potential victim? He had whetted the appetite of this other man with the promise of payment. So, the man was seeking incentive for aid. Silas understood, though he was not the same type of man. The words drawled from his companion that he might know of a place he could find a healer.

He did not follow up with where at first.  Instead, he addressed Silas’ earlier introduction with his own. Locke of Solterra. Silas gathered that this must be a land or domain from that tiny snippet. One did not introduce themselves in that way for the sake of it, ‘of’ usually denoted a location. His vision darkened, it threatened to down him once more. His salvation flowed from Locke’s mouth. Terrastella, southwest of their location. Silas turned his eyes skyward for a moment. He then assessed the terrain they stood in, his limited gaze took in all there was to see from they stood. It took him a few moments to get his bearings, but he was able to identify where he believed southwest was. He motioned his head in the direction he’d decided on. “That way then? Terrastella. Right, well I think a hospital might be the best place to go at this point. Locke of Solterra, thank you. What direction is Solterra from here? I’ll come and find you when I am well enough to travel again. Who should I ask to find you?”  Silas inquired, asking for confirmation on his sense of direction as well as how to track this stranger down. [size=undefined]

Locke’s words flowed absently from his dusted maw. They agreed with Silas about it not being a good sign, but the magician knew that Locke was not truly hearing him. That was alright, it didn’t bother him. His auds flickered when Locke spoke once more. He was perhaps pondering what Silas had said about being a magician. Locke spoke with some degree of accuracy when he said that things like this happened to Silas often. “I had magic, until I got here. It seems the rules of magic, if there are any, is very different here than Muramir. I can feel the well inside me, but it is empty. This tells me that Novus has magicians. I just have to learn how to speak with their well. This is common for me. In Muramir I am an Archmage. You cannot achieve a higher level of magical mastery there. I was the best. One of them anyway. I wouldn’t say I fall from high up often, but catastrophic results? Oh yes, quite often. There aren’t many as daring as I am. I don’t like being told I shouldn’t or can’t do something because it’s too dangerous. There’s no fun in that. Rest assured, though I doubt you’re worried about it yourself, I will regain my magic and quickly. I am sure of it. I just have to survive first. This is the first time in centuries I have felt like this!” He answered Locke, now able to identify that ravenous appetite as curiosity. “I am heading to Terastella now, you’re free to walk with me if you like. I won’t blame you if you have other business to attend to. I’ll tell you all about Muramir, and its magic next time I see you, Locke." Silas extended the invitation to continue their conversation, some of his reasons were selfish. He didn't want to go alone, though he had braved so many horrific things in his life. This was different. Silas had no magic, an was no longer immortal. He was just another face in a vast sea.

Words: 1,121 | Notes: This thread is amazing. I seriously want these two to be friends >__> Also I am so sorry for the novel. | Tags: @Locke

... The lives we lead

[/size]

Messages In This Thread
Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Locke - 01-01-2020, 05:07 PM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Silasthein - 01-07-2020, 08:10 PM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Locke - 01-10-2020, 10:24 PM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Silasthein - 01-11-2020, 10:05 AM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Locke - 01-14-2020, 08:33 PM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Silasthein - 01-18-2020, 11:07 AM
RE: Don't Burn the Merchandise - by Locke - 01-24-2020, 02:34 PM