Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - she slept with the wolves without fear

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sam [PM] Posts: 306 — Threads: 50
Signos: 900
Inactive Character

take this burden away from me
and bury it before it buries me

Elena had never learned to fear the monsters that lurked in the day. And so she had not learned to quiver when she pressed her muzzle into their shoulders and it came away red. She had not learned to shake when they sent demons her way, to try to poison her mind. She had not learned to fear they would look upon her with lust in their eyes. She did not learn to cower when they whispered words to her, so many of them all but saying they would kill her at the end of it.

Elena has never been afraid when the blade was against her throat or an arrow pointed at her heart.

It is hard to be fearful when you have been told that monsters only live under the bed and behind closet doors.

She laughs and the sound is clear and melodious, with a quick smile. A faint smile that tickles the corners of her mouth. She has the smile of a mother she barely knows, if only because she hadn't had long enough for her to get to know her. Elena has always been delicate, like spiderwebs burdened by morning dew. Maybe that is why she has broken and reassembled herself so much. When you are fragile, you learn such things.

Everything they have been through is painted there in the spaces between their laughter and their words. But maybe they can let them go out to sea with the low tide, it is a temporary thing, so heartbreakingly temporary as high tides return and Elena stands ankle deep in her worries and sorrow.

She lets the silence sit a moment more between them before she gives a light laugh, the sound kind and gentle, bells on the wind. “Well, I think she might be right,” she says to him, looking up at the stranger with something like affection if only for his ready kindness and unfamiliar face. “Your gift?” She clarifies, taking a step towards him. “It’s so beautiful…why wouldn't you want to use it all the time?” She asks him with big blue eyes full of something that is more often seen in children. She does not know that he once had a crown and a kingdom, a kingdom that Elena now lives in and serves under another. Maybe if she had known she would have asked why he left. Or maybe she would have just smile and asked if he had ever had the opportunities to visit the garden in the city, and if the flowers that grow there now are the same ones that had been planted when he was king.

Elena follows his own gaze out onto navy blues that ripple and wave with mystery. She blinks blue sky eyes against the light. She wonders if it was the ocean that made her parents fall in love, or if fate would have brought them together regardless of sand and surf.

“I found my way to Terrastella last winter,” she answers him. “The sea has quickly become a good friend of mine,” she adds, closing her eyes for a moment with sweeping lashes before turning to look at Asterion. “And what about you? Just wandering through? Or are you here to stay?” She asks him brightly, unaware of what roots lay beneath the stallion’s feet. “I am glad you are here,” she says. “One should never have to spend a day at the beach alone.” She says gently, genuine warmth and care in her voice. Her smile grows almost shy, there is an innocence that speaks from her words of a childhood that made Elena grow too fast at times and too slowly at others. “Can you make the water dance again?”

so take away this apathy
bury it before it buries me

@Asterion

[Image: ddvotwe-59302ba6-6a81-47bf-9846-30c5a5db...0iFb4PvyXE]

let's light this house on fire
we'll dance in the warmth of its blaze
pixel made by the amazing star

Messages In This Thread
she slept with the wolves without fear - by Elena - 04-30-2020, 09:10 PM
RE: she slept with the wolves without fear - by Asterion - 05-22-2020, 08:37 AM
RE: she slept with the wolves without fear - by Asterion - 06-01-2020, 10:52 PM
RE: she slept with the wolves without fear - by Elena - 06-13-2020, 08:59 PM