Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - whispers in the forest [open]

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Solstice

S O L S T I C E
and at last i see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted
Wasn’t it always the case, that those who created were far too humble to accept compliments?  Solstice laughs at the mare’s response, the sound as pure as a bell while still managing to be soft and delicate.  “Don’t be silly” she offers with encouragement – “it’s wonderful!”  Her glow is genuine as it reaches her eyes, surprise crossing her face as she marvels at the fact that vegetables could make dye.  “I’ve never heard of such a thing before… are there other plants which can be used as dyes as well?”  The idea was simply fascinating.  

When Noëlle mentions the name of her home, Solstice feels no sense of recognition.  She didn’t know this place at all, only that she was in the Dawn Court.  The stranger in the meadow had told her as much, though Solstice didn’t really understand what any of it meant.  All that she knew is that she was far from the place where they’d kept her against her will.  Far from the place where she’d been born, stolen away from her parents, and raised as an idol for the temple instead of a child.  It was a strange sort of existence, one which she wished desperately to forget.  

Some would say that adversity builds character, but in her case, it had only sewn resentment.  Only now was the sunrise-hued Pegasus beginning to learn of all she’d missed.  She wept, not from loneliness, but for the days which could have been.  For the days she might have spent in the warmth of the sun, and in the embrace of a mother who might have loved her, had she been given the chance.  

So Solstice understands that her new friend feels little connection to the place where she lived now.  It took time to build a life, to put down roots, to feel a sense of belonging.

“It’s nice to meet you Noëlle…”  She chews at her lip, unsure of how to answer the simple question of a name without sounding hopelessly awkward.  “I don’t have a name… not in a traditional sense.  They called me only Solstice, for I was born on the eve of a solstice…”  And that fact alone was what made her remarkable in their eyes.  Her namesake had become her curse.

It was strange, to think that others believed this land dangerous.  For where some might find danger, Solstice had found only freedom.  “I’ve given little thought to the possibility of getting lost… to be honest, I hadn’t a destination in mind when coming here… anywhere is better than going back.”  So, she didn’t worry about losing her way in the trees.  If anything, the idea of being lost only added to her desire to hide away from those who chased her.  

Here in the forest, the mare had never felt safer.  Here in Delumine, she’d found herself by losing all the rest of what had been familiar before.

“But where are you trying to go?  I know only the field and the forest, but I’m told this is the Dawn Court, if that’s what you seek?”

― @Noëlle

Messages In This Thread
whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 05-30-2020, 05:29 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-01-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-04-2020, 02:37 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-16-2020, 04:07 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 07-07-2020, 10:05 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 08-30-2020, 02:04 PM