Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - whispers in the forest [open]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Solstice

S O L S T I C E
and at last i see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted
Do you prefer that name?  She paused, wondering for a moment what the stranger meant.  “No one has ever asked me that before…”  Her voice is quiet and reflexive, pained by the realization even as she offers the mare a ghost of a smile.  “I… I’m not sure what I prefer.  It is pretty though – I haven’t given much thought to being called something else.”  For the designation was as engrained in her as the tradition which raised her and the priestesses’ voices which even now spoke in her mind, chiding her to remember her place.

Memories war in her mind, reminding her that she would never truly be free.  As far away as she ran, her past could never be truly erased.  Perhaps with time, she would learn to cope with the darkness which rose within her, but for now she is simply lost and broken.  

Nöelle seems to sense this, hurriedly changing the subject, which the winged mare is grateful for.  It did not help anyone for her to dwell on her past, and Solstice was eager to move forward instead of looking back.  Only hope would give her respite from all which had come to pass before.  Hope for a brighter tomorrow.

I am in search of an old Library…  Her eyes light up at the mention.  “I don’t know of a library here, but I would love to see it… there was a library in the temple where I was raised – a library and a garden.  I spent hours there, pouring over stacks of books.”  She could appreciate thick tomes of history and philosophy, religion even… but there had been a different sort of book which caught the girl’s interest more than all the rest.  “Would you believe it if I told you the fairytales were my favorite?  They always seemed so beautifully romantic, what with princesses, brave knights, and happily ever afters.”  

The girl in her wanted to believe that such tales existed – that maybe she could build her own happily-ever-after in this place.   Hoping that her admission didn’t sound foolish, she hurriedly adds, “But crafting books sound lovely too – your work is stunning, but I suppose there are always new techniques to learn.  Surely they would have such books in your library.”

She pauses, looking across the forest with a promise to return, even as she offers a bright and eager question to her new friend.  “Maybe I could come too?  It would be nice to read again… I haven’t been to the city yet, but I met someone a few days ago… he told me the city was a welcoming place, and that it was south of here.”  

Part of her was afraid of seeing more of them – seeing strangers and wondering with every shadow if they had come for her… but Solstice knew she needed to face her fears, to muster her bravery.  She needed to embrace this new place with its endless possibility.  Plus, she wanted to see the gardens of the court… He’d told her they were the true pride of Delumine, and Solstice had always found herself drawn to the flowers.  For even on her darkest days, their cheery and bright faces had offered her something of beauty.

― @Noëlle

Messages In This Thread
whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 05-30-2020, 05:29 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-01-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-03-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-04-2020, 02:37 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 06-16-2020, 04:07 AM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Noëlle - 07-07-2020, 10:05 PM
RE: whispers in the forest [open] - by Solstice - 08-30-2020, 02:04 PM