Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - maybe I want it all

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Obsidian [PM] Posts: 189 — Threads: 28
Signos: 110
Night Court Battlemage
Male [Him/his/he]  |  Immortal [Year 500 Summer]  |  16.3 hh  |  Hth: 37 — Atk: 43 — Exp: 74  |    Active Magic: Shadow-Forging  |    Bonded: Thia (Shadow-creature)

T  E  N  E  B  R  A  E

On my body, the grace of shadows
and in my heart: all Hells

He stops his magic and binds it within him. 

Tenebrae is naked now as he steps out amidst the throng of the festival goers. All that adorns him is a mask across his face. It is painted as Lyr’s once had been. It is crimson and gold; ichor and mortal blood mixed, woven, intertwined. It is an elaborate guise, it twists and twines and weaves its way down his jaw, across his nose, over his lips. 

So few had seen him when his shadows were not adorning his body that it is in unveiling himself of his magic that the monk begins to conceal himself.

He is reckless this night, uncaring and wanton. Temptation sings out to him. Her voice is sweet, her game wicked, dangerous for men like him. Yet something is restless in his soul. It is a wild colt, a cooped up lion. This Disciple tests his chains. He dares to live not as a monk, for just a night. Maybe that is the problem with taking the Sons as children? The Stallions they become may only ever crave a life they were denied.

Tenebrae craves.

No longer does the crowd part before a man with shadows as weapons and eyes lit by the light of the sun he had defeated. No, now they find no fear in his winter-skinned body. They find no fear even in the eyes that still glow, wicked, wild, hungry. Untamed shadows watch him from the darkness, they reach with whispering fingers for his body and wonder where his magic slumbers. They can feel the way night is ink within his veins, the way pitch black pools within his soul.

~Anyone is welcome to join <3

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Maeve

the fire healer

When Mommy Morr told me there was going to be a costume party in the markets for All Hallow's Eve, I could not wait. What's more fun than dressing up and playing make believe? It's my favorite game to play with the other kids, but with this, I can look even more like the character I'm playing.

She helped me put my costume together tonight. At first, I wasn't too sure about it, but then I saw my reflection and it's not too bad. I'm wearing silks resembling the colors of fire. They're wrapped around my neck and drape down over my shoulders. She also braided similar colored ribbons into my tail so they drape all the way down to the ground. When I run, it almost looks like I have a long fiery tail. If it isn't obvious, I'm disguised as a phoenix. Only I'm a gentle phoenix, so I only use my fire abilities for good. That's because Mommy Morr tends to get too angry with her fire. So much so that it scares other people, me included. I don't want to do that, I just want to be a magnificent, pretty phoenix that flies through the air.

That is what I set out to do tonight. Mommy went off to do something, so she let me go explore the markets. She even gave me some money to grab myself a sweet snack, but she was very clear that I could not touch the drinks, even if they smelled good. Something about them not being safe? It tempted me to buy some anyway, but I found myself more hungry than thirsty.

I finally settled on an apple from a merchant's booth. After I hand over the money and take a bite, I notice a man with a mask. It's all he's wearing and he seems quite underdressed compared to me and many others. Did he not have enough for a costume?

I bring my apple with me as I run towards him. It floats in the air while my silks and ribbons do too. I feel like I'm flying for real and wish I had wings of my own.

As I get closer to him, I let out a loud "cawww" noise in my attempt to sound like a phoenix. I don't really know what they're supposed to sound like, but that's how they sound in my head. I stop in front of the man with a smile on my face.

"What are you supposed to be?" I ask, tilting my head. I'm genuinely curious. The mask is cool looking, but it doesn't remind me of anything. I take another bite of my apple while I wait for him to respond.

"Speaking."

@Tenebrae <3

Night Court Battlemage
Male [Him/his/he]  |  Immortal [Year 500 Summer]  |  16.3 hh  |  Hth: 37 — Atk: 43 — Exp: 74  |    Active Magic: Shadow-Forging  |    Bonded: Thia (Shadow-creature)

T  E  N  E  B  R  A  E

The child emerges from the crowd. She is bright, full of a child’s light and innocence. Tenebrae has seen such light in the eyes of the boys brought to the Order to begin their training. He laments for that light, for it soon goes out of their dark eyes. 

She bites into an apple she holds, it is dark and red as a ruby. In this place where all the food stalls are laden with sweet treats, he is impressed to find her clutching a piece of fruit. She looks around with her liquid gold eyes and they settle upon him.

Ah.

She runs for him. Oh to have such vitality. Oh to run as light as a doe for the world has not yet laid her burdens upon this girl’s young spine. Her ribbons stream like liquid fire. It is easy to see fire when all of her small body is bound with ribbons of rippling fire. 

Meave comes to the monk with a wild gleam in her eye and a cry that splits the night. Cawww! Heads turn to look at her, smiles of amusement dance across lips and the crowd moves past the phoenix child. Yet Tenebrae shies. His head lowers and turns to rest an eye upon her and set an ear in her direction. The monk moves as if afraid, struck with awe at the child before him. He huffs through his nose as if surprised, tinged with a twist of fright. “You surprised me!” His voice is smooth, edged with that same awe that draws across his face. The girl takes a bite out of her apple and Ten’s surprise morphs into a small smile. It curls the pain across his lips and his mask transforms from fiercely beautiful, into something more soft, enchanting.

“Oh, I am nothing at all.” He breathes low as that smile across his lips grows, ‘isn’t that boring of me?” Upon his lips now is a playful grin as he entertains the girl before him. His eyes trail over the white lines across her face, tribal and bold. Vivacious the child takes another bite of her apple. “But I am far more interested in what you are.” He makes a point to look at the ribbones of fire that hang from her body, rippling like flames in the breeze. “You cry like a bird, and these,’ His nose bobs toward the ribbons, ‘are bright as fire.’ Tenebrae pauses and whispers fearfully, ‘Will they burn me if i touch them?’ His starbight eyes grow wide behind his mask as awe settles between them once more. “Might you be a phoenix? Risen from the ashes? I have never met one before… What is your name? Then I can remember you as the first phoenix i have ever met.”

@Meave - So cute!

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Maeve

the fire healer

When the man says I surprised him, I puff out my chest out of pride. That's what I was going for after all, so I'm glad I was successful. Of course, I wouldn't be a viscous phoenix by any means, but I'm the kind that likes to make their presence known.

He doesn't make much sense when he explains his costume as being nothing. His mask changes before my eyes and my mouth drops from shock. "Wait how did you do that?!" I ask, but then realize he's not really playing into the whole point of this event very well. "And you have to be something, that's the point of the costume party!" I say, partly laughing. His mask looks almost dark like a shadow, so I come up with the perfect name. "You can be Shadow Man!" I'm proud of the new name I've given him and his costume.

He takes a lot of interest in my outfit and I'm sure Momma would be happy to hear it. I could tell she put a lot of work into the costume, so I'll have to tell her it was a huge hit when she gets back. "Am I really the first phoenix you've seen? Wow!" I say in shock. It's hard to believe, but I guess that means phoenixes are rare.

"My name is Maeve!" I answer happily, but then my expression changes as I go on to explain what kind of phoenix I am. "I'm not a dangerous phoenix though. You won't get hurt by my flames. I'm not… like Momma." I feel sheepish saying that, but it's true. Her fire scares me (and really all fire in general), but I would never want to hurt someone else with it or get angry like she does. "Momma's the Regent, do you know her?" The word 'regent' is a hard word for me to say and it's so proper, but surely he will know who I'm talking about now. I hope that doesn't change his opinion of me.

"Speaking."

@Tenebrae <3

Night Court Battlemage

T  E  N  E  B  R  A  E

As Tenebrae’s mask shifts, the child’s jaw drops open. Awe and surprise etches itself across her small face. He chuckles low, his eyes sparkling with starlight as his lips twist in playful mystery. “Magic.” The monk whispers, the word falling from his lips as if power breathed through every word and syllable. 

She calls him the Shadow Man and Tenebrae’s head tilts. “That is a very fitting name. Thank you, Phoenix.” At the last he bestows upon her a new name and with her new name thin shadows peel from his lips like fire from a dragon’s maw. The shadows twist as if caught upon a breeze. It twirls with the song of the nearby music and moves along the edges of her ribbons, rising as if they truly were tongues of fire.

At his compliment of her outfit, the child beams, standing proudly, her small chest puffed out. Each ribbon has been so carefully placed, thought and care put into her outfit throughout. “I am not very good at parties so I am glad I have you to make sure my outfit is right.” The monk whispers conspiratorially. 

As bright and vibrant as the party the child continues speaking, her attention skipping from one thing to the next. Tenebrae stands, patient, following along in the wake of the child’s conversation. “Maeve,” the monk says. “That is a very beautiful name. Very fitting for phoenix, I think. My name is Tenebrae, and I was named after shadows. So I am very impressed you called me Shadow Man.” Again his magic reaches out, darkness curling playfully through the tendrils of her hair, tickling behind the girl’s ear.

“You absolutely are the first phoenix I have ever, ever met, Maeve.” Tenebrae affirms. ‘Before now I had only ever dreamed of meeting one. I think you might be the most splendid of them all though.”

Suddenly the little girl turns serious, her gaze darkening, her lips turning downward as she speaks of her mother and of fire and flame. It all seems to click for Tenebrae then. The colour of Maeve’s skin, the mention of her mother’s fire… They look so similar, Morrighan and this little girl. Tenebrae makes the link before Maeve even confirms it, but when she does, he smiles knowingly. The monk watches the way doubt springs across her face, lines of worry forming where there were none before. “I have met your mother. You are very lucky to have her as your mummy with such magic to protect you.” He picks up one of the ribbons from her mane, it is dark and red and angry as any flame. Tenebrae holds it up between them. “Fire can be scary and painful, can’t it? But, do you know that phoenixes die from fire and yet rise from its ashes, stronger, more powerful and beautiful than before? Only a mummy who knows fire like yours can make a phoenix as splendid as you. You are made from fire like all wise, kind and brave firebirds are.”

@Maeve

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Maeve

the fire healer

Shadow Man says he uses magic for his mask and it just makes it that much cooler. Some magic scares me (especially Momma's), but then there are some I've met that have the coolest powers. I feel a little jealous and wonder if I'll be able to get any magic some day. Deep down, I will always hope it's nothing like Momma's. I don't want to hurt anyone. I never want to.

I shake out of my dark thoughts when he calls me Phoenix and it makes me smile. I'm happy with my new nickname and identity. I notice smoke comes out of his mouth like a dragon and I just stare at him in awe again. Shadow Man is probably the coolest person I've ever met.

"That's okay," I say when he says he's not good at parties and things. "This is my first one ever. We can learn together!" I'm not even sure if there are rules to parties, but at least we both have some kind of costume together for this one. That had been the entire point of it after all. Almost to create a new identity just for this night and that's exactly what we were able to do.

Then he says my name is beautiful! I don't even know what to say. I'm so speechless and my cheeks feel warm. No one has ever said that before and I think Momma would be happy to hear about it. "Oh, um, th-thank you. I was named after my great grandmother," I finally manage to say. "I don't know if she was a phoenix, I guess I'd have to ask Momma." If Shadow Man thinks it's fitting for the bird, then maybe she had been one. Maybe that's where Momma's fire comes from.

Tendrils reach out to me, almost a mix of shadows and smoke. It makes me step back for a minute. It's not until they start to play with my hair that I realize it's probably coming from his magic again. He doesn't seem to be bothered knowing I'm the Regent's daughter. In fact, he says it's a rather good thing.

I guess I never really thought of it that way with her fire. It gives off such a bright glow to match the anger in Momma's eyes. At the same time, she can be very protective of me and I know that she would never let anything bad happen to me. I think if anyone tried, she'd probably hurt them really bad. Not that I want anyone hurt, but I guess if someone was trying to kill me, I wouldn't want them to get away with it.

Shadow Man says such things that make me wonder just how old he is. He talks like he's been around for centuries and has heard all of these interesting stories. My eyes are wide and my smile returns.

"Th-thank you," I say, gushing. Maybe Momma isn't that scary after all. I mean, she is the Regent so there must be a lot that look up to her too.

I know that I would be a gentle phoenix, despite being able to control fire. But then, I almost wonder how I would even do that. Fire can still be unpredictable. I learned about what a wildfire is and how once it starts, unless a fire mage comes to get rid of it, it can destroy a lot. Shadow Man has said all these nice things, but there's still doubt and fear in my mind.

"How do I make sure I won't hurt anyone with the fire? How do I be brave?" These are things I wonder all too often, even without fire magic. I just could never find it in me to ask until now.

"Speaking."

@Tenebrae <3

Night Court Battlemage

T  E  N  E  B  R  A  E

He watches the proud curl of her lips, happiness gleaming through her smile with all the brilliance of light upon water. She likes her nickname, he assumed she might and, honestly, the Disciple cannot think of a better name for a girl born of fire, adorned as a phoenix this night.

Maeve watches the way the shadows curl like smoke, peeling from his nostrils and maw. Her admission makes him chuckle. He is not surprised this is her first party, youth still rounds her cheeks and grows her limbs long and spidery. Tenebrae has forgotten quite what it is to be a child. Yet Maeve gleams with contented innocence. It brings a smile to the monk’s lips. “We can learn together.” He agrees lightly. 

Their shift in conversation causes the smile to slip from his lips. Maeve shifts, doubt still clouds her wide eyes and anxiety darkens her rounded cheeks. “Sometimes people just get hurt Maeve and there is nothing we can do about it. Our loved ones have accidents, our friends get injured… Sometimes no matter what we do we cannot avoid hurting people. Hurt is a part of living and it is how we grow. The very fact that you want to make sure you don’t hurt people, will be part of how you use fire wisely. You are already good of heart Maeve, and so very brave. Do not let fear stop you living. Fire is a gift, we cannot live without it. It is how we eat, how we get light and warmth. If we fear fire then we lose all of those benefits. Respect fire, live alongside it, embrace it but do not fear it.”

His words seem to hang heavily. He said more than he ever meant to. Tenebrae lets his eyes lift from Maeve to skip across the stalls and revelers. “I hear parties are good for dancing and sweet snacks. Have you ever had a honey cake, Phoenix?” His gaze tips to a nearby stall laden with trays of sweet treats. Children are gathered all around it with sweet-sticky lips and cheeks and longing eyes. He moves a short way to the stall, drops some coins upon the table and plucks away a honey cake. Returning to Maeve he holds it out for her “Here. I must go now Maeve.” He has seen a flash of crimson, a girl wicked and sharp in the sea of people upon the street. She calls to him, like a siren. “Don’t fear Maeve, or else you might forget to live.” He looks to the child’s cake and then back up to her golden eyes. “When we meet next time, you will have to tell me what the cake was like.”

Tenebrae nudges her slim shoulder playfully before he turns, disappearing into the crowds.

@Maeve - I hope you don't mind that i wrapped it up here? I am desperately trying to get control over my post list! eeek.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Maeve

the fire healer

I'm so amazed by his words and his confidence. I don't know much about monks, but if Shadow Man is an example of them, then they are very very wise. I don't think I'd ever want to be a monk, but hopefully I can be as wise as him some day. He just speaks so calmly (such a difference from Momma Morr- even Momma Zahra who seems distracted most of the time).

I never really thought of fire in the way that he mentions, but it all makes a lot of sense. By itself, it's a useful element and I know we couldn't live without it. As much as I'm afraid of Momma's fire, I know that sometimes she uses it for good. I guess maybe if she wasn't so angry all the time, she could do that more often. So maybe I could help her? I don't know how I could embrace it really, but maybe that could be a start.

Since everything got so serious, I'm glad that he changes the subject to something more fun. I sure do have a sweet tooth. "I haven't, but that sounds really good!" I say, imagining how delicious a honey cake must taste. I watch him eagerly as he heads to a stall and buys one for me. When he comes back, it looks like it's shining from all its beautiful golden gooey-ness.

He has to leave, which makes me sad. "Bye," I say with my mouth full of cake. I don't really understand what he says as he leaves because I'm too distracted by the amazing treat, but maybe it'll make more sense when I'm older.

I decide not to eat the entire cake and trot off to look for Momma Morr. I want her to try some of this and maybe it'll cheer her up a little.

"Speaking."

@Tenebrae <3 thank you for such a lovely thread! I look forward to them meeting again in the future :D