Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - Not Quite To The Sea

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dyzzie [PM] Posts: 214 — Threads: 26
Signos: 260
Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

B e l o w Z e r o
I don't care what they're going to say, let the storm rage on
the cold never bothered me anyway
The sweltering heat was difficult on a good day, and downright unbearable on a bad one. Today, bad didn’t even begin to describe it. The dual-natured mare had searched high and low for somewhere to take shelter from the rays. And while her original plan had been to move towards the sea – the Ice Carver Serpent had another idea. The moment her bonded had heard the sound of water, there had been no stopping of her, Yukime was across the land as quickly as her forelimbs and serpentine, fluked tail would allow, shoving off of the embankment and into the creek running through the lands. Not to be cracked ice, but I cannot bear this hear any longer, Treaded. I need to rehydrate, my scales are shriveled and dry. The carver explained from where she had settled at the bottom of the creek bed, eyes closed, and only the tips of the ice shards at her collar and crown penetrating the surface of the water. Bel couldn’t blame her dearest companion, of course. She, herself, could feel the effects of the heat. Her muzzle was itchy from the effect of scales drying out, and her pelt felt dry and crusty from where even her water vapors were evaporating faster than she could hydrate. She did not like this heat.

Yukime lounged, clearly comfortable, beneath the subtle movements of the creak, and with a soft sigh, the mare herself moved towards the water, lowering herself into the gentle flow and sighing as the water wrapped around her, soothing the sun-scorched hide. She was certain this terrible weather would simply cook her alive! Between the searing heat, and the blubber designed to help trap the body heat in her body, well Below Zero was not a mare who was fond of these dreadfully hot days. Small silver fish darted around her, a few being snapped up as a snack into the small serpent's muzzle, drawing a small smile from the alien mare as she blinked her larger set of eyes slowly. "Careful, Yukime. Those little guppies aren't much of a mouthful, but you'll spoil dinner later. I was thinking we could hunt for Tuna tonight, if you'd like?" The serpent's head perked, two sets of eyes meeting Bel's dual sets with wide eyed excitement.

Bel lowered her muzzle and neck into the water, a thin layer of skin closing of her nose as her gills flared open beneath the water, the vapors wafting across the water like mist as the aquatic-equine relaxed. It might not be salt-water, but the creek was a relief, "Alright, alright," The treader spoke again, her voice carrying more melodically through the water to her bonded, the water changing her voice to something between whale song and dolphin chirping, the vowels drawn out, the words softer and more musical, "Once we are properly hydrated, and not as scaly and dry as a starfish left ashore when the tide rolls out - we'll head towards the sea for dinner." The treader promised her serpent bonded with a playful laugh, her muzzle split into a slightly fang-toothed smile before she closed her eyes again, to enjoy the water's rehydrating properties, the heat no longer . . . quite so unbearable.

"Bel"
Yukime
Open to any, preferably someone Bel hasn't met yet
Notes:: When you're partially aquatic and can't quite make it to the ocean before the heat becomes unbearable.

[Image: i-jTNwWx8.png]

Played by Offline wild / jet [PM] Posts: 85 — Threads: 12
Signos: 1,300
Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

jane

Heat was one of the things that got Jane the most, but she found she was starting to get used to it. Living in Solterra, a place literally named for the sun, her body never lacked trails of sand. It did seem to fit; gold lines trailing along the horizon over dark skin slightly bleached by the sun. Still, it was a relief to come across the river in the outer reaches of Rumis. Indeed, this whole place was the antidote to what she had hated about Solterra. There was life in the Day Court, of course there was, but there was something different here.

Jane needed breaks, these days. She was tired of it all, of the Solterran court. Nothing about it was real, and before that wouldn’t have bothered her- but now it did. But she readied herself for the ascension of Adonai, had seen him fly through the skies over the city; a great gold thing almost like the setting sun itself. 

Here there was life, reality. She dipped her hooves into the water and sighed in relief at the cool liquid sliding over her hocks. She stepped deeper, knowing she shouldn’t- Mother had always said it was dangerous, but the heat of the day had made her sweat, and the sweat had attracted dirt. In short, she felt dirty. So she stepped into the deep of the water, to where it touched her chest, and watched the fish swim past. They didn’t seem to touch her, but she felt their ministrations as they followed the current. She paused at the sound of a splash up current, and her body froze as she caught sight of an equine-type creature. They didn’t necessarily look dangerous, but Jane knew to be cautious of those who lacked fur; and the wounds on her flank spoke for themselves. She remembered the writhing, golden reptile on the sands; its head split open and leaking blood over all of that yellow… Jane shook her head, and reminded herself that this was probably fine. But she had heard of enough carnivorous horses to be gently cautious. 

@[Below Zero] / speaks / notes

Dusk Court Battlemage
Female [She/Her/Hers]  |  Immortal [Year 498 Summer]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 30 — Atk: 50 — Exp: 88  |    Active Magic: Hydrokinesis  |    Bonded: Yukime (Ice Serpent)

B e l o w Z e r o
The heat was the worst for Bel, but that had every reason to do with her species and the way she was built. It wasn't too much of a surprise when she gave up to collapse in the river with Yukime. She was enjoying it for certain, the water running around her, the coolness soothing the heat of the sun rays. It was for this reason she'd initially begun to make her way to the ocean, and while this wasn't sea water, even fresh would do for a relaxing dip.

The sound of water splashing had her freezing however, glancing towards the sound, seeing another had frozen at the sight of her own self. Instantly, in that gaze, Bel felt it. The feeling of judging for her appearance, for the fact she wasn't a creature of a land, instead split between the two. But that never was noticed. They saw the tail, they saw the fins, they saw the gills and the fact her fur was so delicate and water proof it hardly looked like it was fur at all.

Bel's eyes lowered awkwardly, before smoothly climbing to all feet, stepping into the shallows to show she wasn't about to switch forms like the others did, "I, uhm, can see your caution from here . . . I'm . . not a Kelpie or anything. Promise." Bel offered awkwardly, trying to be reassuring to the best of her ability, "My name is Below Zero, but you can call me Bel. I'm a Vapor Treader. We're basically like other horses, but we live our life between the arctic, and the tropics . . But I'm not a shark hiding among the guppies. Closest thing to carnivorous I am, is I like snacking on cod or tuna just as much as I do seaweed and sea grasses." She added, hopeful that it will ease the other - and not bothering to mention she was technically an alien any way. No need to scare the poor mare worse. Right?

"Bel"
Yukime
@Jane
Notes:: Fun Post <3

Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

jane

The creature… thing, looked nearly guiltily at Jane. But it was Jane who felt guilt at her analysis. But she remembered Salome and the way she had held mortality in her maws. She remembered the stories of kelpies by the sea, the way Hardison had refused to let Jane go down to the shoreline after dark. In her nervous state, Jane also cast a glance to the equine’s companion, a reptilian creature that was completely unknown to Jane’s understanding of the world. Both figures sported an extra pair of eyes, and Jane shifted where she stood.

I’m not a kelpie. Promise.

“Oh, I- sorry,” Jane laughed a little at the mare’s words, “I don’t mean to assume, I’ve just… met many different characters recently, so I can’t trust as easily as I used to.” She tried to sound easy, but she was already an awkward thing without the stress of analysing the world around her. “And I…” She glanced away, “I prefer salmon, myself.” When she had lacked iron, her mother had taken her to the streams for the red-fleshed fish, although she could barely remember the taste.

@[Gallileo] @[Below Zero] / speaks / notes

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
There was a mutual hesitation from both parties, the dual-natured mare, and her reptilian companion - and the mare who clearly judged before asking. not that Bel could blame here. She'd heard of those Kelpies. Knew how terrifying the would likely be to those meeting them. Could Bel blame another for being alarmed at her own appearance, particularly how alien it could be, and for fair reason as well.

And so she sought to help bridge the gap, letting her knew right away she wasn't one of those sharks in guppy fins. The mare responded with an almost laugh, apologizing almost immediately, expressing a desire to not assume . . . Bel could understand though. there were many different types. Some friendly, some not, with in the Novus lands. Caution was a good thing to have, "No need to apologize. I understand, really. I don't look quite normal after all. Yukime or I." She stated with soft understanding. No she couldn't blame another for being careful. Not even a little.

At the other mares words however, Bel froze for a moment. Surprised, eyes wide, uncertain, "You . . . have tried Salmon? Excuse my surprise, but that's not something I hear every day from another. Why would you have tried it, if you don't mind me asking. Not that I can deny it's flavor - its just harder to find out in the open ocean." She stated after a moment.

She paused then, tilting her head, "What is your name?" She asked after a moment, relaxing a little - growing more curious, "If you don't mind me asking I mean . . . I'm just a little curious, I guess. I haven't seen you around before, so I can only assume you're not part of the Dusk Court." She added, her expression thoughtful, her her smile welcoming (although carefully closed so as to not alarm the poor mare with unintentional flashes of fangs.)

"Bel"
Yukime
@Jane
Notes:: Fun Post <3

Day Court Scholar

jane

Jane shifted at the attention of the other mare. Yes, it was a mare. Jane felt herself starting to calm, and she felt a bit more trust around the two creatures. She nodded a little, stepped closer in her easing tension, “There was very recently a mare who I believe wanted to eat me, but was stopped by political stuff. I am trying to be better about talking to strangers, but unfortunately everyone is a stranger.” She shrugged, “But it’s not nice to be judged for how you look, so I really do apologise.”

The mare was clearly surprised at Jane’s confession of eating salmon. Jane laughed a little, “I suppose it’s a little strange. But as a foal my mother would feed me salmon if I was ill. It wasn’t my favourite food in the world- other than that I just ate grass.” 

“My name is Jane, and I live in the Day court, but I’m actually from a land much further away. And you? What are your names?”  

@[Gallileo] @[Below Zero] / speaks / notes

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
Bel tilted her head slightly at the other, even as Yukime went back to ignoring the strange, frail mare, serpentile body pressed low into the gravel of the river where the sunlight did little to heat her scales. The iced serpent never did like the warmth if she could avoid it. As the mare took a step closer, Bel offered a reassuring smile though it fell with wide eyed alarm at the other's words, "Tried to eat you? Are you alright?" Bel asked in horror, her voice raising in pitch at the word eat. She shook her head with a frown, "Well, I'm sure it's always better to tread the water, and see where you're at, before diving straight to the depths. A smiling face can be full of fangs with a flip of a fin. Better to be cautious and not a shark's meal." The mare stated with a nod, before laughing softly, "Considering you were almost eaten earlier, I really can't judge you for that. Truthfully, I'm a little on the extreme side in appearance anyway, and you're not the first to mistake me for a predator from the waters." Bel admitted, albeit a touch awkwardly, "But, if it eases your thoughts, please consider yourself forgiven." Bel added with a grin.

At the shared casual comments on fish, Bel grinned faintly at the thought of being fed salmon if ill, "I know my mother was always pushing seagrasses on me when I was younger. Though if I was a little slower than normal, mother would usually find us Mackerel and you weren't allowed to go play with the other pups until it was all gone. I faked sick a lot to get out of eating seagrasses and seaweed when I could." Bel admitted with a soft laugh, before ginning slightly, "I love clams too though - but more for the fact that I think they're fun to open."

Bel smiled, dipping her head in greeting, "Well it's lovely to meet you Jane." She stated, before tilting her head curiously, "A land much further away? I can relate to that . . . . I'm part of Dusk now, but prior to my coming to Novus, I swam the oceans far up north, where the water is cold, and ice bops like floating islands. Although - my species comes from a place even further than that. But, my name is Below Zero, but please call me Bel. Most everyone does. And of course, Yukime is my companion, she's an Ice Carved Serpent. She comes from the same place my species comes from." Bel paused before flashing a playful grin in Jane's direction, "I guess when it comes down to it, Yukime's an alien, and I'm an alien born on this planet."

"Bel"
Yukime
@Jane
Notes:: Sorry I missed replying to this earlier but lookie! I replied finally!

Day Court Scholar

jane

When the serpent turned its gaze away, Jane finally felt herself ease up. This mare wouldn’t harm her, and neither would the other creature. Jane giggled a little bit at the other’s response to her statement. “No, not actually, I just got the vibes. She had bat wings.” 

Jane laughed at the mention of being fed mackerels. Her ears piqued a little bit at the mention of clams. She had seen one once in court when the queen had been offered a pearl from the shore. She remembered standing at the edge of the room and craning to see just the single glint of white nestled between the flesh of the clam. “It’s lovely to meet you too,” she smiled, “We’re both aliens in our own way, I suppose. You in a more literal sense, of course, but we’ve all crashed and landed up here. What brought you to Novus, if I am allowed to ask?” Now that she had settled down, Jane found that Bel was lovely to look at. In the absence of fear, calm rolled in, lapped at the edges of her.

@[Below Zero] / speaks / notes

Dusk Court Battlemage

B e l o w Z e r o
Bel smiled as she watched the other seem to really, truly relax at Yuki's apparent dismissal. Not that it surprised Bel one bit - the serpent really wasn't a social creature, and while she distrusted just about anyone they met, she clearly saw nothing that was dangerous about this mare. She wasn't expecting the other's words on the mare that had alarmed her however. Her eyes blinked in confusion, "Bat wings? That's a new one, even for me. Although, my best friend is a giant of a stallion with two sets of feathered wings, and I'm quite literally an alien from a nearly aquatic planet - so perhaps I shouldn't be so surprised by how others appear in this land. There are certainly many types after all." She admitted with a soft laughing.

She did still pause over the bat wings, however, "Well, I can't say for sure if the mare you had met intended you any harm, but I'd be surprised if she were of the water if she had wings. Typically the two don't go hand in hand very well. While bat wings might be a little better in the depths than feathered, they'd be nearly useless beneath the waves." But it did bring to concern the ideas that perhaps not everything above the water's surface was friendly too. Did the surface world have it's own brand of sharks walking on hooves? Bel might have to look into this at another time, but it was definitely something to keep an eye on.

The talk continued, lightening as the other laughed, and she smiled slightly at the sight of the other, younger mare relaxing a touch more, "Oh, I'd have to agree completely, definitely aliens in our own ways. And I'm list of a literal sense than you might think. My people are aliens, yes, but I was born on this planet. Yukime, however, comes from our home planet." She admitted, causing the serpent to look up at her name, before blowing bubbles in the water after a moment, and laying her head back down in the relaxing currents.

The other's question did have Bel pausing for a moment, finned ears flicking, and a touch of sadness clouding her gaze, I can tell you the tale, but it's . . . not a very happy one." She offered, glancing up towards the mare slightly, offering a smile in show that she was willing to share it if the other wanted to hear it, "But the short version is that my pod did something I couldn't abide . . . and no begging or pleading to the triton of the pod would have him changing his mind . . . not even for me. I couldn't stay in a place like that any longer, and so . . . I left. Swam around for a while before washing ashore here. When my little sister popped up out of the blue in this land, it strengthened my decision to stay."

Not that she didn't miss the pod, her father . . . Shard. She was still angry with his decisions to abandon her sister to the elements and predators of the arctic, still hurt over his own dismissal of her feelings about it all - but she couldn't deny that she still missed Ice Shard greatly. It was just as equally hard to imagine that by this time they'd have likely been mated, little pups of their own growing up in the pod. Or, in that harsh climate, both could have been dead now . . . He might even be dead himself - he was rather reckless when in the face of danger (he had charged a polar bear for her once).

But she couldn't stay when he'd so callously sentenced her sister to death with little more than a I'm sorry, I know it hurts, but it's for the best. He'd proven then that the pod would come before even her, and she just had to get away from a place that would walk away from an injured pup barely 3 months old, with out so much as a second glance. And she wouldn't have been able to look him in the face knowing he'd made that decision, even if it had destroyed her heart. Novus might not be the arctic home she loved - but at least here horses weren't cast aside when they were deemed 'to injured to heal fast enough to keep up with the pod.' Here, that pain, and guilt had lessened.

"Bel"
Yukime
@Jane
Notes:: I always forget about this thread! But here's a reply for you <3 Bel is more than willing to tell her story - I know there's not many on Novus who know what really happened in the arctic circle that made her leave her pod :D

Day Court Scholar

jane

Jane sensed the other also starting to ease. But the words of the winged mare brought surprise to Bel’s visage, and her words carried that shock with them. “Yes, I was rather shocked myself. It was partly my fault, to be fair- I was out in the middle of the night, and right now it is the middle of the day. And it wasn’t like she attacked me or anything, but I could see in her eyes that she considered it.” Jane rested her foot gently and thought over Bel’s words. A stallion with four wings, now why did that sound familiar…

“I don’t think she was a water creature either.” She sighed a little, a huff of warm air in the dying summer. Below Zero’s interest at this was almost comforting. To know that she wasn’t the only one new to this land. Although she was an adult, she often had the sensation of being almost foal like. What was dangerous? What was good? 

The serpent- Yukime- played in the depths. Her suspicions eased, as it didn’t seem to be interested in the taste of horse flesh. It could certainly have made an attempt if it had wanted to, but the moment of surprise had passed. 

At Jane’s inquiry, Bel told her story. Jane had to fight a little bit to keep focus, not out of boredom, but because of the similarities to her own life. “I’m sorry that you had to leave, but I hope you find some good things in this land. I don’t have any ties to this place and I have been here a whole month.” She sighed, trying to share a bit of comfort. Misery loves company, after all. “I’m from a land called Angora, and I too had to leave without my say in it. No siblings, though, I was… exiled. Although they say it’s a “government exchange programme,” I always knew.” She kept her voice light. “I’m not as stupid as they said I was,” a bit of childlike petulance showed itself but she ignored it. 

@[Below Zero] / speaks / im b b back babes!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »