Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz)

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline wild / jet [PM] Posts: 85 — Threads: 12
Signos: 1,300
Day Court Scholar
Female [she/her]  |  8 [Year 503 Summer]  |  18.3 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 28  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

jane

Jane stopped by a stall for pastries. They were small, folded pieces of dough with star anis in the centre of them. When she inhaled, Jane was met by the cloying scent of spice and burnt sugar. Her stomach was suddenly so empty and so void. In the back of her brain, Jane was aware of Isaar a few lanes away. He had cme for the festival but would soon be going into the city itself for political discussion.

They were here to stay.

Jane didn’t know if she felt joy or guilt. Both, probably. She had not alerted one of her return, just as she had not notified of her departure the year before. Delumine and Novus itself seemed to burn against her eyes and her body; the grass was too cold against her hocks and the sugar- the sugar was burning-

Jane pulled her gaze away and felt her skin shiver. Golden vines seemed to constrict around her dark form; pulling her skin taut as a snake might do its prey. She could hear the lashing of wind in the background, discussions in languages that she was no longer privy to. Relationships, drama, foals and enemyships. She felt tears springing to her eyes, although she tried desperately to shove them away. 

We shouldn’t have come here. She had half a mind to run after Isaar and demand for the next ship out. But she knew what he would say. She knew that he would look at her with those sad black eyes and he would say in that gruff, endingless voice, Oh, Jane. Full of compassion, of the paternal pity that he so often employed when she came with a complaint. 

She shook her head, painfully aware of the way that her eyelids stung. She was so aware of every sensation, but she still did not notice the slow approach of chains and bells. 

Jane?

A half unfamiliar voice broke her from her stupor and Jane spun as though attacked. She wondered if she would see Isaar but no. Of course not. Because standing before her was a young maiden- although young would hardly be the right term for her. 

(Veil had been so young and so old at once, Jane recalled.)

The entire universe stood before Jane, a bundle of stardust and galaxies, with those beautiful indescribable eyes that Jane had felt such unending affection for. Like a young sister, someone who made Jane feel like she was better than she was. Who made Jane feel selfless and kind- these traits were no longer attributes that she used for herself, not since everything.

Jane blinked and then Veil was rushing forward and capturing Jane in an embrace. Jane, meanwhile, felt a burning numbness inside her chest as the young mare caressed her with all those little memories that had passed between them. Jane quietly dipped her muzzle so that she could return the embrace as words rushed over her with so little meaning. She’s speaking. I said I would help her to speak, but she’s talking now and she did it without me. That’s good, that means she’s- that’s good. That’s good.

Jane smiled despite the sudden burning in her throat and pulled Veil closer for the millisecond before Veil had pulled back and looked at her with those celestial eyes. 

It took a moment for the words to settle in Jane’s mind. 

“You’re…” Jane paused, her words shivering as they slipped past her lips. “Oh- how long am I staying- I don’t know.” Jane smiled, “I think it will be a while. My husband…” She slid her gaze up, thinking about him. “I think we’re living here now- I was going to message you after I settled, I…”

Foolish. Damn, damn, damn. A year of no contact and Jane couldn’t even formulate a whole sentence. A person she cared about and loved was here, deserving of so much more, and Jane couldn’t even give her the bare minimum. Shame burned in her cheeks, she felt so small. "And you? Are you just here for the festival?"

@[Veil Nebula] / speaks oh no jane has issues now 

Messages In This Thread
The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-22-2022, 11:47 AM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-23-2022, 06:21 AM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-23-2022, 07:22 PM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-24-2022, 07:03 PM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-25-2022, 12:46 PM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 02-26-2022, 07:33 PM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 03-03-2022, 09:45 AM
RE: The Winds of Change (veil/dyzz) - by Jane - 03-09-2022, 02:12 PM