Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - he would not ascend; he learned his lesson | party

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

they dredged icarus up from the sea today; wings bedraggled, tangled in the nets of those who tried to raise his body before. but he would not ascend; he learned his lesson. 

I am there for a prince; not for her.

I am there for golden feathers and indigo eyes, and a softness that files my jagged edges into something smooth, into a shape I can weather. But when I see her, I gravitate toward the disaster I know we create by colliding. I ought to leave her alone; but when she sends the child away, she evokes my wicked curiosity. And, besides--my prince is occupied. 

(That, in and of itself, incites a pang of jealousy I have no right feeling, but feel nonetheless, like a barb in the flesh). 

(And that, in and of itself, transforms me into something monstrous; into a man that I cannot take to Adonai, not tonight, not when I see the lyre strapped to his shoulders). 

Instead, I take the wickedness I feel to Elena; instead, I delve through the crowd and find my way to her. The child, of course, is gone; and I cannot erase the image of them side-by-side from my mind, mother and daughter. They are like images of one another. 

I wonder if it is a blessing, or a curse, that the child is so painfully Elena’s. I wonder if it is a blessing, or a curse, the father does not seem to hold much likeness at all, whoever he may be.

“Elena,” I greet her, with a warm familiarity. “This is the last place I would have expected to see you.” I have always been masterful with my tone, with my rhetoric: and even though I do not comment on the child explicitly, the awareness is there, a tense undercurrent to the comment itself. I did not expect to see you with a child, here. 

If she were someone else, I might have asked her to dance. But I don’t. I simply regard her with quiet, knowing eyes. Then, I let a smile edge my mouth. I say, “I am here to impress a prince, but I am not sure how.” 

The confession comes unbidden, but genuine. I shrug my shoulders, almost dismissively, almost as if it doesn’t matter--

And really, does it? 

I look over the crowd, searching for the girl. But she is already gone. From here, I cannot see Adonai, either--and, despite the crowd, it is only Elena and I.

« r » | @Elena

Messages In This Thread
he would not ascend; he learned his lesson | party - by Vercingtorix - 09-19-2020, 09:21 PM