Welcome
Hello There, Guest!
- Register

Current

Current Novus date and time is

▶ Year || 502
▶ Season || Summer
▶ Temp || 74℉ (℃) - 100℉ (℃)
▶ Weather || With the end of Spring comes Summer's warm embrace. While some flourish in the comfortable glow of the sun, others take shelter from its sweltering midday heat. Even so, it is now that the continent bustles with life, for it won't be long until a cool chill returns.

Spotlight

Character of the Season
Avdotya

Member of the Season
Jeanne

Thread of the Season
.. Cool your fever ..

Pair of the Season
Ipomoea and Messalina

Quote of the Season
Bexley gives him a cold, dark, beautiful smile. “Wanna see a trick?” she asks, eyes glowing with feral self-satisfaction. The bare of her teeth in a mock-grin is nothing less than terrifying. “I can make you see ghosts.” do the hungry ever sleep?

see here for nominations

DISCORD

CBOX

Battle - .. I like it rough ..
Rostislav — Night Court Warden Signos: 980
▶ Played by Lauren [pm] Posts: 148 — Threads: 26
▶ Male [He/Him/His] Hth: 18 — Atk: 22 — Exp: 36
▶ 7 [Year 494 Winter] Active Magic: Earth User
▶ 15.1 hh Bonded: Damaris (Hellhound)
Fight Type: Battle
Prize: EXP, move on to next round of the tourney
Contact Made: I PMed Griffin on Discord and yes I'll share the link once I post it, how silly XD

Character #1: Rostislav
Bonded: Hellhound, Damaris
Magic: Vexillum earth magic, that will likely discover in this thread XD
Armor: Yes ref
Weapons: No

Character #2: Acton
Bonded: No
Magic: Discipuli illusion magic
Armor: No
Weapons: No

I stand both silent and still on the pocked ground of the Bellum Steppe. Damaris lies at my side. Both of us stare in the direction of Denocte, waiting patiently for our opponent to appear. Though the sun is setting as te day comes to a close, I'm in no rush. Though I know little of Acton's fighting abilities, some sort of zen has taken hold of me, and I feel confident that Damaris and I are the favorites in this battle.

This battle that I have orchestrated. I've been a piss poor Warden these past few months, which is why I'm here today ready to lose a leg for my king and country. (Well that might be a bit of a dramatic exaggeration, but my point is made.) With the continued tensions with the Day Court (I'm beginning to think maybe it isn't all to do with me on that front), and the more recent issues that have come up between Dusk and Night, I can't help but feel that the denizens of Denocte are on the verge of a war on two fronts.

Not that the word "war" has slipped past any loose lips, but I'd rather be prepared.

And being prepared means first figuring out who the hell resides in the Night Court, and on top of that, who the hell is supposed to be fighting for it! Pathetic Warden that I am, I have previously not had the answer to either. But, there are now those that have answered my call, and this tournament is my way of providing a little incentive to get their asses into gear. The first pair: myself, a commander volunteering for duty, and Acton, a more or less unknown quantity. When he arrives, I intend to let colorful stallion throw the first punch. Perhaps give the non-warrior a chance to show his skills before I launch into action!

Rosti thoughts | "Rosti speech" | Damaris mindspeak

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Summary: Rosti's chillin', waiting for Acton to show up and presumably swing the first punch. ;)

Attack Used: 0
Attack(s) Left: 2
Block Used: 0
Block(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used: N/a

Response Deadline: 4/12
Tags: @Acton, @kay, @sid, @inkbone, @Sparrow, @roo, @arahvir
tracker
wishlist
plotter
dA
You may do whatever you want with Rostislav excluding permanent maiming, dismemberment, and death.

Acton — Night Court Commoner Signos: 210
▶ Played by Griffin [PM] Posts: 55 — Threads: 7
▶ Male [He/Him/His] Hth: 8 — Atk: 12 — Exp: 13
▶ 5 [Year 497 Summer] Active Magic: Illusion
▶ 15.3 hh Bonded: N/A
Acton
whatever you feed me I'll feed you right back

Acton had two thoughts as he made his leisurely way to Bellum Steppe: that Raum had probably never made an easier bag of signos, and that it would probably always be difficult to steel yourself when you knew you were going into a beat-down.

The Ghost was characteristically quiet as they approached the battlefield, but the buckskin was grateful for his presence nonetheless; for a few more minutes he could stop his body bracing for a punch. It wasn’t until they parted ways that Acton wondered if whether joining a tournament for a laugh was the worst idea he’d ever had or just in the top five.

He was hardly a man to fight fair, but gods damn, Rostislav was pushing every advantage. Acton could see the Warden’s armor glinting in the sunset from across the field, and he laughed, loud and harsh. With a last glance over his shoulder at Raum, who wore a decidedly unsupportive smirk, and a few of the others gathered to watch the carnage, the buckskin squared himself and stepped forward.

His gait was easy as he crossed the pitted ground of the Steppe, loose shoulders, loose hips. Acton strolled up to Rostislav as though he might say hello, or maybe ask for instructions on this whole organized fighting business.

Their shadows were mingling when finally he drew to a halt

“All this for me?” he said, that laugh still in his voice, as his gaze roamed over the gleaming armor to linger on the dark hell-hound, whose watchful gaze he would never admit he found unsettling. “Rosti, I’m flattered.” Acton showed his teeth in a quick grin, flicking his gaze back to the chestnut’s.

As he did he shifted his weight to his hind legs, and before either of them could blink he dove forward, lunging with his front hooves for anything he could reach between the Warden’s unprotected knees and ankles.

Acton wasn’t the kind of man to avoid a suckerpunch if he thought it was the only shot he had.

Summary: Acton walks in, laughs at the ridiculousness of the situation he's put himself in, sidles up to Rosti, and lunges for his forelegs.

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used: NA

Response Deadline: 4/11/18
Tags: @Rostislav, @kay, @sid, @inkbone, @Lauren, @Sparrow, @roo, @arahvir

It doesn't take long for Acton to arrive, to my satisfaction. It would be a poor show for him to keep the Warden waiting. (Not that I give that many shits, but I don't really want to wait here like a statue forever.) His casual approach surprises me, though I guess it shouldn't. He's seemed like a rather carefree fellow from the moment I met him. Still, we're about to have a fight; does he have no sense? Damaris seems to tense, on guard despite his casual nature. Of course she's the smart one. His jest makes me chuckle as well, and I glance at the shining metal on my chest. He's got a point. I shouldn't need so much prep against a self-professed commoner. But why would I not want to take every advantage? Fights certainly aren't fair in war, either. You don't drop your weapon just because your opponent is unarmed. Acton flashes a grin, and it is then that I notice he's brought company. A chestnut follows him - Raum, if I recall correctly? Sarcasm fills my thoughts. Good, an audience. I turn my focus back to Acton and roll my eyes. "Yes Acton, just for you."

You know what's stupid though? Me shooting the breeze while this crafty fool is thinking about his attack. That's what's stupid. Damaris jumps to the side with a howl, diving out of my way to give me time to evade. But I don't evade because I was fucking SHOOTING THE BREEZE. Everything fades away in that moment. Acton’s attack is lightning fast, or at least it seems that way. Though Damaris tries to give me room, my response time is too slow. I begin to shift my weight away from the buckskin, but it only serves to lessen my wound rather than save me from it. His hoof slices down my cannon bone, narrowly missing the ligaments and tendons encased there. A miracle. I squeal in pain and surprise, then grit my teeth to manage the pain as my momentum carries me a few feet away.

Small cracks in the earth appear around my hooves, as if the ground there is too dry and my weight has shattered it. But only a careful, keen-eyed onlooker would notice such a thing (perhaps Raum or someone else watching?). My mind is elsewhere. As quickly as my chunky body can manage, I pivot on my hind legs back toward Acton. My jaws are parted, grungy teeth bared as I lunge for the withers of the younger stallion. My ears are pinned to my skull, disappearing beneath my heavy mane. I hear Damaris barking ferociously in the background as I near Acton. I'm thankful for the strength of my right leg as I park my front end hard on the ground. My left leg threatens to buckle and my shoulders drop, damaging my chances of successfully making contact with my target. A hard swish of my tail is the only outburst of pain I can allow, for my focus must not waver!

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Summary: Rosti is a slow fart and despite a well meaning attempt, he fails to evade Acton's first attack. Left cannon sliced up but he's not -totally- lame. Hints of his magic appear around his feets. He lunges back toward Acton's withers with his teeth but he also sort of stumbles because of his leg. Play off as you will. ^_^

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used: N/a

Response Deadline: 4/11
tracker
wishlist
plotter
dA
You may do whatever you want with Rostislav excluding permanent maiming, dismemberment, and death.

Acton

That first sweet thrill of success was all the motivation Acton needed in life. Whether it was landing the first blow or the first trick or fleecing the first mark of the night, the feeling was the same: a rush of adrenaline, truer and better than anything.

He didn’t do what he did for the swell of applause (at least, not entirely). It was this: clarity in chaos, a burn like gasoline in his veins.

Always reality cuts back in too soon. This time it was the Warden’s squeal that overcame the blood-buzz in Acton’s head, and the buckskin turned to square himself back toward the unicorn. He was heedless of any hairline cracks at his feet, his attention split instead between Rostislav and the hell-hound somewhere beyond him. The beast’s barking only served to make him feel more at home, in the fading light of some back-alley brawl.

The brown stallion’s lunge was met with a wicked grin and no real attempt to evade; Acton shifted his weight to his hind legs, wheeling to his right more to stay out of the path of the Warden’s body mass than his teeth. The strike caught him on the left shoulder, teeth striping his skin in a stinging blow that immediately saw blood prickling red along it.

It is only a surface wound, and adrenaline is a suitable anesthetic. Acton was far more focused on the way his opponent’s shoulders dropped and his injured leg quavered. One of his earliest life lessons was to press every advantage, and now was no different. The buckskin surges forward, opening more space between them with a couple steps before kicking out his heels, flinging dirt and aiming to catch Rostislav on his unguarded chin or throat while the other man busied himself with keeping his balance.

Whether or not he was successful, he pressed himself forward another length or two once his hooves touched the dirt again. Acton kept his fire-bright gaze on his opponent as he pulled in deep breaths of the cool evening air, one ear trained on the man’s companion.

Summary: Acton takes the superficial bite to his shoulder as he wheels to put them more parallel, then moves forward and kicks, aiming for Rosti's chin and throat. Then he moves to put a length or so between them.

Attack Used: 2
Attack(s) Left: 0

Response Deadline: 4/14/18

I feel my teeth meet their target. Golden skin rips beneath me and the coppery taste of blood comes with it, penetrating the tasted buds on my tongue. I've stumbled, but luckily catch myself with my good right leg, so that I don't completely fall to my knees. Success despite this mishap fuels me, and adrenaline pushes through me. Still, my weakness is showing, and I sense that Acton is too bright to not notice.

The buckskin leaps away from me, expanding the distance. I turn toward him, prepared to lunge after him. It's a stupid move, of course; he's only made more room for his hooves to fly toward my face. As quickly as I can I rear up, tilting my head to the side in an attempt to avoid the rough edges that are making their way toward me. My strength in battle is just that - my strength. My mass and muscle are my greatest weapons, not my speed nor agility. His hooves slash across and up my right cheek, opening a bloody, raw gash. I let out a guttural groan, and I feel the blood trickle down my cheek. I have few doubts that I'll gain a gnarly scar from it.

I land roughly on the ground, narrowly missing a hole in the ground that might have snapped my leg. I glance forward, seeing that Acton has continued away from me after making contact. Damaris continues to growl at the stallion but stays near me. I think for a moment what it would be like for the ground to swallow either of us. Within seconds, the earth is cracking in front of me. Clumps of dirt and rock begin to shudder, then move upward independent of any visible force.

Rostislav, what's happening? Damaris's voice in my head echoes my own thoughts. Despite this, I'm looking past the scene at Acton. In a flash, the risen earth is flying toward the other stallion. A smirk appears on my bloodied face, and I speak just loudly enough for Damaris to hear. "My magic has returned."

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Summary: Rosti tries to avoid Acton's kick but gets a nasty, rough gash across his right cheek (yay scar!). Then he uses his NEWLY DISCOVERED MAGIC to attack Acton. It's just directed at him in general, so receive as you will. :)

**Griffin and I agreed on Discord that it would be ok for me to post a day late since I was at a horse show. Thank you!**

Item(s) Used: N/A

Response Deadline: 4/18/18
tracker
wishlist
plotter
dA

Acton

Again a jolt as body met body, there in the evening falling quickly to night. This time there was no grin when Acton felt his hooves connect; he only waited for the smaller stallion to follow him.

When after several heartbeats he did not, the buckskin half-turned, ears twisting forward and skin twitching, wary. By now any watchers were forgotten, and sweat slicked his sides in the warm summer air. The battlefield was little more than a mass of shadows and for a moment the only thing Acton could hear was both their labored breathing. He opened his mouth, licked his teeth, prepared to call an insult –

And then the world began to tremble. He could not fully see the clods of dirt and rock as they rose from the ground, but he could hear the rattle of stones, and Acton stomped and huffed a breath, ears pinning. Before his mind entirely grasped what was happening, pieces of the battleground flung themselves for him. First a pebble struck him, then a clump of sod, and he only had time to drop his head and hunch his shoulders like a bull against a snowstorm before the whole lot was on him, showering him in dirt and stones.

With his telepathy he blocked what he could, but with his sight limited by the darkness his efforts were mostly futile. It was like standing beneath a hailstorm, and then it finished as quickly as it had begun, and the world felt even more silent than before.

When he was sure it was over, Acton shook himself like a dog and straightened, groaning at the all-over ache. His skin felt broken in a few places - scrapes from the rocks - and he felt dirty and dappled by bruises.

Still, there was a bit of a swagger when he made his way back over to the Warden, and his scowl was replaced by a grin as he shook his head. When he saw Rosti's bloody cheek, his grin widened. “I’m used to fights starting with things being thrown, not ending with them,” he said, and laughed. “And I think I’m ready to go back to being just a street bastard.”

Summary: Acton starts to turn toward Rosti when he doesn't hear him coming, then gets showered in dirt. He hunches his shoulders and lowers his head against it, and uses his limited telepathy to try to stop some of the dirt clods (counting as a block, not sure if it does).

Block Used: 1?
Block(s) Left: 0

Response Deadline: NA