Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - a great big world

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

"Oh, but my tongue is a weapon."
The day had quickly gone from one of attempted relaxation to one of terror.

Somnus had never felt so useless or stricken with uncertainty as he was when Eulalie was overcome by pain in the midst of their stroll, forced onto her knees as the pains of labor began to overtake her. The dunalino stayed close, letting her lean upon him. As she reached for him, he reached back, pressing his muzzle against the unnatural warmth of her skin. “Eulalie, breathe darling. Breathe. You can do this. I’m here.” He had no doubts that she could. She had survived so much thus far in her life, terrible and difficult as it had been… Somnus had no doubt she would overcome.

Upon his spine, Alba fluttered about nervously, her anxiety filtering between their bond. ’The foal!’ She cried, clearly worried for the welfare of not only the child within, but for Eulalie as well. The barn owl had grown quite close to the ivory maiden, and like her bond-mate, loathed that there was nothing she could do to help. Somnus, knowing Alba’s distress, quickly ordered her into action.

“Alba, get Ulric. Get Po. Get Pavetta. We need a caretaker! Quickly!” The barn owl, her command given, quickly swooped into the sky with rapidly beating wings, but Somnus did not watch her part. The dunalino’s verdant eyes, wide with fear and concern, focused once more on the quivering form of ivory and gold at his side.

Legs buckling, Somnus let himself fall in an uncharacteristically graceless action to the ground, so that he was pressed against Eulalie’s side. The unnatural warmth radiated from her skin, her body surely struggling from the onslaught of labor, but he did not pull away. “I’m here. I’m here, darling.”

What followed seem to take forever. There was nothing that he could do except remain a steady and strong support, allowing Eulalie to lean her sweaty, exhausted body against him and hold her up. The groans and cries that left her lips tore at his heart, and he prayed to Oriens for some form of relief for the mare that had stolen his heart. Please. Please, Wise One, I beg you. Please. Help her. Guard her life and the life of our child. Please. Her agony tore at him, but Somnus swallowed against his stress and emotions, wanting to be a stoic, stalwart rock of strength for her to rely on. Soon enough, a damp little foal arrived, their color marred by the wetness that came with birth. A smile slowly blossomed across the Dawn King’s lips, feeling proud and breathless. A child. The child had arrived! “Eulalie…” But instead of relief upon her brow, Somnus took note that not all was as it should be. Her expression was pinched and distraught, her body still shaking in the throng of contractions, and his relief quickly turned to worry once more. What was happening…?

As it turned out, there was a second child. Another foal. Twins. Twins? Oriens’ beard, twins?! The second foal was a gangly, small thing, clearly dwarfed by its sibling. Upon closer inspection, it became obvious; they had been blessed with one filly and one colt. The filly had been born first, her brother following only moments behind, and Somnus’ heart beat rapidly with lingering adrenaline and adoration.

“Twins,” he echoed Eulalie’s words, admiring the two foals with adoration, before his eyes drifted to meet upon the warrior’s earthen gaze, “Eulalie… Oh, my darling. You did wonderfully, love. Please, take it easy.” Yet when she made to stand, Somnus allowed her, quickly standing upright as well to steady her in case she was not yet prepared to stand on her own. He stood over his little family, marveling at the twins’ tiny, downy wings and their horns that were nothing but nubs, and he reached out to nuzzle both of them.

“I suppose it was a good thing we picked out two names, hm?” Not knowing what their child would be, he and Eulalie had picked two names in the case of a son or a daughter. Who knew that they would have been graced with both?

“Little Anemone, little Regis... Eulalie, they’re perfect.”

And they were.

tag: @Anemone @Regis @Eulalie

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
a great big world - by Eulalie - 06-20-2018, 04:14 PM
RE: a great big world - by Somnus - 06-21-2018, 11:12 AM
RE: a great big world - by Anemone - 06-22-2018, 09:54 AM
RE: a great big world - by Regis - 06-22-2018, 08:23 PM
RE: a great big world - by Ulric - 06-22-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: a great big world - by Pavetta - 06-22-2018, 11:33 PM