Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Site Wide Plot  - But it refused.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

"… It fills you with determination."
The wind blew, bitter and cold with the promise of winter. Somnus entered the mountainside along the worn pathway carved by hundreds of others before him with a humble air, uttering not a single word as he stepped inside and out of the wrath of the buffeting winds. The only sound was that of his hooves scraping against mortar as he made his way inside, eyes forward and locked upon his goal, ears at attention as he listened to the echoing sounds of his own footsteps. The silence that loomed around him was omnipresent and all consuming, and the Dawn King would have sworn that he could hear the sound of his own pulse echoing off of the walls.

Perhaps, of course, it was the heartbeat of the very mountain itself. Or the heartbeats of the Gods. He had never questioned their existence, but they felt all the more real after the events that transpired at the summit. Tempus’ words echoed once more in his head, and the dunalino’s expression grew grim.

The world was changing. Somnus knew. Change was inevitable.

He knew it in the way that he grew older with every passing year. He knew it in the way that Eulalie’s belly, once firm, toned, and supple, had grown larger with every passing day, heavy with the twins. He knew it in the way that he now knew his two children; Anemone and Regis, one strong, one weak. Somnus had become many things in his life; a politician, a tactician, a survivor, a Sovereign, a father… Change was a constant companion, both welcome and unwanted. Fighting it was pointless.

Bowed, but not broken, Somnus was a man accustomed to change. He knew the agony of survival, the agony of living when the things one loved most had been stolen away, but he was also knew the joy. The glory. The thrill. The pleasures in simple things. The good that outweighed the bad.

The dunalino’s eyes slid closed but for a moment as he came to a stop before the statue of his patron deity. Oriens’ knowing eyes stared out at him, seeming to stare into his very being, passing judgement where he saw fit. Verdant eyes opening, Somnus returned his stare with one of his own. When he spoke, the timber of his own accent surprised him as it echoed against the stone walls.

“… I am sorry that I have not come sooner. Perhaps it is out of desperation that I come to you now.” Desperation, yes… But not from what others might think. Yes, change was inevitable. Somnus understood that. Change would come whether he wanted it to or not. He knew that he would not serve Oriens as Dawn King for his entire life; he could never be so blessed. The title would eventually be passed, or stolen, onto another… And yet, amidst his duration of holding Oriens’ blessed, wise crown, Somnus wanted nothing more than to be the best sovereign that he could be.

For his Court. His friends. His family. His children. He thought of them, of brazen and brash Anemone, of timid and fragile Regis, still so small and unwell. He thought of the beautiful and strong Eulalie who had gifted him with not one, but two children, of dear Ulric and sweet Ipomoea. He thought of the others he had met since his arrival into Novus a little over a year ago; Kasil, Florentine, Orion, Pavetta… So many names, so many faces. Somnus even thought of his beloved Vhallen King, dead and gone from his grasp forevermore.

“I come not asking for much, Wise One. I am but a humble servant in your name, a servant to your Court… But I implore you now for understanding. For guidance. Please.” Letting his head droop, his wings relax, Somnus’ posture loosened as he bowed before his patron God.

“Help me to help them.”

tag: N/A 

Please leave Somnus be! :D This isn't an open thread.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
But it refused. - by Somnus - 06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
RE: But it refused. - by Random Events - 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM
RE: But it refused. - by Somnus - 06-27-2018, 08:03 AM