Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Site Wide Plot  - But it refused.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

"... It fills you with determination."
In the wake of the meeting, Somnus did not know what to truly expect from his journey, but desperation was a mighty temptress. It made many a man do obscure things, and Somnus was not above being ensnared by its siren song. Perhaps he would have stayed away if he had all of the answers. Perhaps he would have remained within the familiar borders of Delumine if his son was hale and hearty. Perhaps, if he knew what awaited them in the coming days, he would not be here… But that was a different life, and Somnus was not the type to waste his time and energy on ‘what-ifs’.

Still, he did not expect what he received. He had heard tales of such events happening to far more worthy men and women than he, after all. It seemed almost surreal. In the wake of the meeting, where the Gods had quarreled and Tempus had released them from their chaste imprisonment with only a chilling warning, Somnus expected to do nothing save speak to an ancient room and barren pedestals, mull over the recent events, and then turn on his heel to head home to his Court and family… But that was not so.

’It is better to be late than to never try.’

The voice caused Somnus’ head to raise slowly, ever the composed figure, his verdant eyes widening in unexpected surprise at the mighty form that had manifested only feet away. It was Oriens, patron lord to the land that he so passionately served. The God’s voice was young and old, wise yet inexperienced. In his words and in his eyes, Somnus would swear that he could hear and see the growing of the forests, the breaking and reshaping of the earth, and the altering wear and courses of the oceans and rivers. This being, almighty and omnipresent, knew unfathomable truths, lies, and knowledge, and Somnus was not worthy.

“Majesty.” Somnus breathed, feeling his body act on its own accord and straighten into a far more befitting posture of a King to his patron deity. Sovereign though he may be, his King was here before him. When was the last time that Oriens had graced their mortal realm in the flesh? Somnus’ gaze, however, stubbornly remained averted and downcast, at least until he realized that Oriens was not yet looking at him. With a great deal of caution, Somnus found himself lifting his head to follow the God’s line of sight. The light of a new dawn crested over them, and for a moment, the dunalino remained silent and stalwart, basking in the rare moment of the first rays of sunlight over the horizon. They were not like Solterra and Denocte, who reveled in hours of their patron times. For Delumine and Terrastella, their moments were far more rare, and far more precious.

Inevitably, Oriens redirected his knowing, gilded eyes onto Delumine’s Sovereign, and Somnus bravely held his gaze. Keen verdant met wise gold, yet there was nothing but reverence and respect in his gaze. “I do.” He answered, his eloquent accent deep and somber. This was not a happy meeting, as much as he wished otherwise. “I have never stopped learning since I became a disciple in your name, Majesty. I have learned discipline, grace, compassion, and love… Yet now I know terror of the likes I have never before experienced.” Somnus wondered, belatedly, if he would be condemned or reprimanded for speaking to Oriens so freely. It was not his place… Was it?

Yet as he stared unabashed into his patron deity’s golden eyes and watched the colors of dawn spread across Oriens’ radiant form, he couldn’t help but think that this was okay. “My son is ill. He is weak. I worry for his health, my King, but I know not how to help him. I worry for my daughter, and my darling Eulalie. I worry for my brothers and sisters of Delumine, and even those who live in the provinces heralded by your siblings.” Realizing that he very well may start rambling in the presence of his most beloved God, Somnus bit his lip and grew quiet.

What could he say? How could he sum up the words as to how he was truly feeling? Inhaling slowly, Somnus let his shoulders droop and relax, grounding himself here. He could not fall apart. He could not be weak. Not now.

“… I do not ask for power. I do not want it. I am just a man who yearns to protect those that I love. I am faulted and imperfect, and one day my title as your Sovereign will no longer be mine to carry. Yet I stand here imploring you for wisdom. For understanding. Please… How do I help my son? How do I protect your Court? Help me understand how to become this extraordinary individual?”

Brave or foolish? Somnus did not know. Perhaps the answer did not even exist here, or anywhere. All he knew, was that standing in the dawn’s early light with his patron God, the Sovereign already felt far more at peace than he had before.

tag: @

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
But it refused. - by Somnus - 06-22-2018, 06:56 PM
RE: But it refused. - by Random Events - 06-23-2018, 06:42 PM
RE: But it refused. - by Somnus - 06-27-2018, 08:03 AM