Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting]

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.
’You’re certain? Did you forget the backlash from Denocte when they closed their borders?’

Somnus let out a deep, patient breath at Alba’s inquiry. Oh, he had not forgotten the uproar from Denocte back under the leadership of Reichenbach seasons prior when they had closed the gates to the Night Court, but that was then and this was now. This was for different reasons. He was not a foolish man and this decision was not meant to be a brash one, but in light of recent unsettling events across Novus, they could not take any unnecessary risks.

“We have no choice, Alba. You know that.” Verdant eyes flicked upward, glancing only momentarily towards the barn owl roosting upon the courtyard walls amidst growing ivy and late-autumn blooms. “And it is far too late to be changing our minds. Ipomoea has already posted the decree. The deed is done.” Somnus then turned back to face the rest of the courtyard, sucking in yet another deep breath, praying to Oriens for the patience and diplomatic skill he would need for what he was about to do.

Nodding once, the Dawn King spoke again to his companion. “Go. Summon them. Hurry, Alba.”

The barn owl lingered for only the briefest of moments, her beady black eyes staring hard at Somnus’ regal golden frame glinting in the evening sunlight, before she took to the air with a flourish of mottled wings, downy feathers, and a mighty cry. She knew the importance of what was to follow.

Waiting patiently within the courtyard, Somnus watched as one by one, the members of the Dawn Court slowly began to arrive. He recognized them all. While he did not know some as well as he knew others, the dunalino did his best to familiarize himself with everyone that called Delumine their home. Watching them all arrive now, he was reminded once more of their thin numbers and empty ranks. Their numbers had never been particularly large, not when compared to the militarized empire that was Solterra, but Somnus cared little for numbers. Numbers meant nothing when fealty was frail among the people.

As the cool autumn breeze carried itself along the evening air and the citizens of the Dawn Court gathered and shifted, looking among one another and to him, he nodded once more. Guide me, oh wise Oriens. I only want to keep them safe.

“Thank you all for coming in such short notice. I apologize if this is an inconvenience to anyone.” The Dawn King’s verdant gaze darted across those present, keeping his shoulders back, head high, and ears forward and alert. The stallion’s rigid posture assisted in maintaining that confidence he needed for a meeting such as this one. “I will not waste your time; I am certain that everyone has seen the decree posted by Ipomoea. I want to touch more on this, as well as the recent discoveries.”

A quick glance to Delumine’s Regent and another small dip of the head in acknowledgement, and Somnus was going on, his accent calm and poised. “By now surely all of you know, there was an attack in Viride and we lost two of our own; Moore and Casper, loyal, kind pages of our very court. We have yet to find the one responsible, but know that we are all doing what we can to find their killer and bring them to justice.”

“I am not ruling out foul play. There were tracks at the scene that seemed far too large and misshapen to be equine, but we cannot put the blame on some beast. It could be a trick, or someone trying to cover their tracks. It is because of this that I have decided to close the borders of the Dawn Court.” Somnus grew quiet, letting the murmur of voices grow across the silence. He let them all think on it, come to their own conclusions, and form their own questions. He had nothing to hide, nor was he trying to be a dictator. “I am certain that you all have your concerns and questions. Please, ask. Ipomoea, Pavetta, Ulric, and I will do all that we can to answer them. Also know that should you need to leave Delumine for any reason, we ask that you consult with the Regime or Warden first. I simply implore you all to check in; we have already lost two of our own. I cannot stomach to lose another.”

Oh, but he wished that was all. It wasn’t.

“The one known as Raum is outlawed from Delumine for crimes committed against Denocte, a nation we are attempting to negotiate trade and alliance with. If he or his ilk are found within our province then they are to be detained immediately.. Any unwarranted aggression on their part is to be returned in kind. Take caution. Do not engage with him if you feel that you are unprepared, and instead report the sighting to any of the Council.” Once more, Somnus let his words trail off. It seemed like so much to say, but it needed to be said. His people needed to be aware of what was going on, and not just inside Delumine.

“I ask Ulric to up the patrols in Viride. Even those of you who are not warriors, I implore you to participate in keeping our home safe, but do not go alone. We must think of our safety first.” His current piece said and done, Somnus finally grew completely quiet, looking out among the familiar faces of the Dawn Court to take in their reactions, physical or verbal. He prayed that they would all understand.

“If you have any questions, please, feel free to ask… But also speak up, if you have any information you feel is useful to us.”

tag:

This meeting is for Dawn Court members only. Visiting dignitaries (such as the medical group from Terrastella) are allowed to post. This is not a mandatory meeting, but it is highly encouraged.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting] - by Somnus - 02-25-2019, 03:51 AM
RE: when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting] - by Pavetta - 02-25-2019, 09:36 PM
RE: when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting] - by Mateo - 02-26-2019, 03:31 PM
RE: when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting] - by Eulalie - 02-26-2019, 09:57 PM
RE: when balance becomes unbalanced [meeting] - by Ipomoea - 03-11-2019, 06:37 PM