Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Fight: Judged  - as long as you love me

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

No man was ever wise by chance.
Somnus was no warrior, despite his tactical prowess in battle. Had he seen war? Yes. The fires of Vhallen and the scent of innocent blood staining marble still woke him from his most disquieting of nightmares. No. Despite his lack of skills on the battlefield, he understood war almost intimately. He understood the way that adrenaline coursed through the blood, causing the heart to thump wildly within the chest. He understood the need for rapid-fire communication between mind and body, the need to make a snap decision and stick to it for better or worse. He understood, and that was perhaps one of the reasons why he was here. Standing here at the Bellum Steppe across from Eulalie was no war, but it was a battle. They were not here with the desire to harm or draw blood, but to ensure that they both knew how to protect themselves should war ever come knocking on their doorstep.

Breathing in deeply, Somnus allowed the crisp air to filter into his lungs, enjoying the calm before the storm. Would there be a storm? Not quite. They were not here for storms of rage and prowess. ‘Love’ was the ultimate motivator in this spar. Others might not understand, but he didn’t give it much thought. Emerald eyes closed but for a moment, relishing in the feel of the cool air brushing against his quivering skin. Was it from the cold, or from anticipation?

Regardless, the dunalino’s gaze slid open slowly, his eyes taking only a second to focus on the ivory form of his beloved, her golden tresses swaying like a halo in the breeze. Eulalie stood there only paces away, standing like a glittering beacon, and his eyes roamed her every feature. For appreciation, yes, because he could honestly never get enough of her beauty and wonder, smitten with the freckles that dotted her cheeks, but mostly to size her up.

They stood nearly identical in height, their bodies remarkably similar despite the fact that Somnus carried a far more ‘sturdy’ type of build. Neither one of them carried cumbersome bulk to slow down their movements, and Eulalie’s legs were straight and nimble, able to carry her across the grounds as fluidly as his wings could carry him through the skies. On the ground at first glance, they were practically tied… But Somnus had his wings, and his horn. The latter was a weapon that he had been born with, a sharp end that could be used for stabbing and maiming, but never in his right mind would he even fathom turning such an organic weapon upon the mother of his children and the keeper of his heart.

No. For this fight, Somnus would remain grounded. There would be no reason to attempt an aerial advantage. Just as well, he would exhibit caution to keep the sharp point of his horn well away from Eulalie’s soft skin.

Ever so faintly did his wings lower and relax, curling back to sit comfortably against his sides. The dunalino’s golden shoulders rolled back, his eyes rooted upon Eulalie’s form, waiting, anticipating… But it seemed that he did not have to wait long. Like a streak of lightning she took off, pushing off of the pock-marked earth to cross the distance between them. Immediately fear blossomed within Somnus’ breath, causing his breath to hitch and mouth to part, terrified that she might sprain a fetlock or trip upon such difficult, uneven terrain.

Eulalie’s grace could not be faked, however, her steps confident and true and like an angel she glided over the rough terrain of the battle-scarred Steppe. Somnus’ eyes narrowed, his jaw clenching, but he did not try to move away or balk from whatever she intended. Whatever came his way, he would take it. Ears pinned back flat against wild strands of alabaster, the Dawn King braced himself, his expression fierce, determined, and proud. So proud.

He watched as Eulalie suddenly halted, her hind legs tucked beneath round haunches as dirt and rubble were kicked up every which way. The chilly winter breeze carried the dust and dirt through the air to rain down upon him, chunks of both pelting his skin and a rock striking him upon the upper lip, but he paid it no mind. Eulalie’s hind end swung wide around to face him, and bracing herself upon her front legs, she kicked out with her hind legs back at him.

Somnus took a step back to brace himself and tossed his head into the air, jaw upright and nose pointed towards the skies to avoid the blow. One of her hooves struck him upon the right breast, the blow holding a considerable amount of force behind it to momentarily knock the air from his chest. There was pain, yes, dull and sudden and mildly uncomfortable, but he could immediately tell that Eulalie was pulling her blows. The sharp edges of her hooves did not pierce skin or draw blood, the blow itself more a bludgeoning force that might bruise, but nothing of genuine concern.

Her words of flirtatious challenge danced along the breeze and met his ears, and Somnus, heart thumping wildly within his chest, grinned ruefully. He surely looked a mess; wild and carefree, ivory tresses and tumbled mess about his handsome face. Typically so poised and proper, it was terribly exhilarating to just let go.

Not pausing long enough to toss any words back at her, despite how much he bloody well wanted to, the Dawn King decided to act. Sometimes action was a far more reliable form of communication. Inhaling deeply, Somnus’ wings spread and snapped out to attention at his sides, mottled feathers of tan and white fanning wide. In a sweeping arc the dunalino lunged forward, letting his wings propel him forward in an attempt to catch Eulalie before she could dart off too far and out of reach. Taking note of the unsteady ground beneath his hooves, Somnus charged after her, the sound of wind rushing by his ears and the pounding of his very own pulse reverberating within his skull.

Eyes locked on the curve of Eulalie’s right hip, Somnus stretched his neck out, hooves thundering upon the earth as he did his best to keep pace with her and stay at her right side. Reaching out, the stallion attempted to snap forward and latch his teeth upon the skin of her right side or snatch the flesh of her right hip. Whether he succeeded or not, Somnus stumbled to a halt, hooves scrabbling and scraping against uneven, hole-ridden earth, tripping once or twice but not enough to send him off balance.

Wind tousled hair billowed around his frame and Somnus laughed, hearty and loud. Oh, but it had been such a long time since he had felt so alive! Emerald eyes glittered in the sunlight, rooted upon Eulalie’s veil of ivory and golden wonder. No words were needed, not when his expression spoke so earnestly for him;

’I love you.’

tag:

Summary: Somnus stood his ground for Eulalie’s attack, letting himself be covered in dust and pelted with a stone. He also took her attack and was struck upon the right chest, the wind momentarily being knocked from him as well as taking some pain. In response to Eulalie running away, Somnus gave chase and aimed a bite at her right hip/flank area, before stopping the game of cat and mouse.

Attack Used: 1
Attack(s) Left: 1
Block Used: 0
Block(s) Left: 1
Item(s) Used:

Response Deadline: 04/11
Tags: @Eulalie, @Sid, @inkbone, @Sparrow, @nestle, @aimless

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
as long as you love me - by Somnus - 04-01-2019, 02:44 AM
RE: as long as you love me - by Eulalie - 04-06-2019, 10:30 AM
RE: as long as you love me - by Somnus - 04-08-2019, 06:27 AM
RE: as long as you love me - by Eulalie - 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM
RE: as long as you love me - by Somnus - 05-06-2019, 03:28 AM
RE: as long as you love me - by Eulalie - 05-16-2019, 09:37 AM
RE: as long as you love me - by sid - 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM
RE: as long as you love me - by aimless - 06-02-2019, 06:03 PM
RE: as long as you love me - by aimless - 06-02-2019, 06:09 PM