Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - we are not heroes anymore

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

how willing you must be to kill angels

I was among those who returned with Queen Isra. I’m from her home country—the one she liberated. 

His words, delivered so carelessly, belong to a land I have no stake in. I recognize the name “Isra,” but little else; and cannot help but wonder (and not ask) what liberating entails. “I see. That sounds like quite the adventure,” I remark, with a lack of expression. There is nothing on my face but polite interest; but that does not mean I am not cataloguing the information. 

He does not ask about me; and I do not offer more.

The conversation seems to be reaching its natural death until Martell’s interest returns, abruptly, at my joking mention of the regiment. And are you still a military man, Vercingtorix? I’ve seen little of this lands armies. 

I am careful in my reply. I do not look directly at him; but instead regard him from the corner of my eye, glancing toward the still-dark desert behind him. “I could be nothing else.” I turn to regard him fully. “These lands are full of magic.” I might not have elaborated further, if not for the distaste that colors his tone. “My understanding is magic is very common in Novus; but what is uncommon are those who are truly gifted.” 

The sea breeze is licking at my mane; it dishevels it, into my eyes. “There are those, however, in every Court that possess power beyond what is ordinary--there are some, even, who are powerful enough to be an army in and of themselves. It was not like that where I am from.” 

I do not know what I am waiting to see, in his response; only that I hope he understands the undercurrent to my words. There is no way to wage war among these people without magic yourself. The actuality of it is one that disgusts me; magic has always had primordial, if not almost evil, connotations in my heart. It is no different now. 

“Perhaps I will see you again, Martell. And you will be able to tell me more of the country your Queen liberated, and how.” My curiosity is polite; but I cannot help but wonder at his scarless skin, and that sudden sharpening in regards of military and magic

It is a sharpening I recognize. It belongs to men at war. It belongs to hounds on the hunt, when they catch the scent of their prey. 

“But for now, I’ll leave you to your sunrise.” I nod politely and turn from him, to continue my walk down the shoreline, remembering quite a different war. 

"Speaking." || @Martell

Messages In This Thread
we are not heroes anymore - by Vercingtorix - 07-03-2020, 01:02 AM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Martell - 07-04-2020, 08:38 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Vercingtorix - 07-08-2020, 07:03 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Martell - 07-10-2020, 04:18 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Vercingtorix - 07-12-2020, 12:55 AM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Martell - 07-29-2020, 01:04 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Vercingtorix - 10-09-2020, 10:32 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Martell - 10-29-2020, 08:47 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Vercingtorix - 11-05-2020, 10:47 PM
RE: we are not heroes anymore - by Martell - 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM