Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - death of a god

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

It isn't the gesture that lasts,
but it dresses you again in gold
armor —from breast to knees—
and the battle was so pure
an Angel wears it after you.

T
he fire fills our silences, so they stretch not uncomfortably; they are filled instead with the cackling laughter of the flames devouring wood, of light, of heat. I might recognize her drying skin, if I were to look more closely at her through the silken guise of smoke and flame. I might begin to recognize all the signs of predator, if she were not so far from the sea. As it were, I hear only her voice when she speaks at long last. 

And why did you not go to him? Her voice hardly breaks the night air; it hardly rises above a whisper of flames, and nearly becomes it instead. 

I am long in my answer, before I say: “The reason we rarely face the things we fear.”  I pause again; this hesitation comes from a refraining, a desire not to share. I cannot help it, however, when I add: “And that is because we recognize them. I never approached because in all the ways that mattered, I was not staring down a darkened hall at my father. I was staring down a darkened hall at myself, as I would become.” 

I do not expect what she admits; and I suppose that is one of the reasons I do not mind sharing my fire with her, tonight. Despite her belief the comment is overly revealing, I do not understand it—perhaps because I do not dream. “Do you mean you would create these people, these things, from your dreams—? Who would you make?” 

Damascus’s eyes have not left her, but I do not find this atypical. The great dragon licks his chops; a sound guttural, disgusting, slick flesh against hard teeth. It feels, strangely, as if we are building toward something; as if our confessions are fuel to add to the flames, or the rising crescendo pitch of a song I cannot hear. The tension that exists right before a beginning, right before the arrow is notched, the sword is swung, the words are said aloud. 

(What I do not consider is how all of those things can, dually, represent an ending).
« r » | @Sereia

Messages In This Thread
death of a god - by Vercingtorix - 08-18-2020, 05:31 PM
RE: death of a god - by Sereia - 08-22-2020, 10:47 AM
RE: death of a god - by Vercingtorix - 08-27-2020, 10:17 PM
RE: death of a god - by Sereia - 10-10-2020, 12:27 PM
RE: death of a god - by Vercingtorix - 10-10-2020, 07:58 PM
RE: death of a god - by Sereia - 10-22-2020, 03:44 PM
RE: death of a god - by Vercingtorix - 10-24-2020, 01:45 PM
RE: death of a god - by Sereia - 10-26-2020, 04:15 PM
RE: death of a god - by Vercingtorix - 11-28-2020, 12:43 AM