Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - salt-choked soul

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Syndicate [PM] Posts: 175 — Threads: 35
Signos: 125
Inactive Character

you cannot drown my salt-choked soul
i'll float amid this blackened sea
the deepest dark against my back
above me: fire endlessly

The sound is familiar to me. The reverse of slipping, of falling. The sound of a body emerging from water, slick and supple, nearly inaudible, unless one has a practiced ear. It is the exact sound my  body makes, now, when I leave the waves. I turn to look and am surprised when I recognize her; but once the surprise is there, it flits away.

No. As it turns out, I am not surprised at all. The irony of her appearance seems fated. Is this not the exact setting of our first encounter, so many months ago? I had been a different man, then. I”m offended you didn’t ask me to turn you she says, somewhat coldly. She does not miss a beat. 

I say nothing at first. I regard her. One predator, to another. 

“I didn’t want to be changed,” I say. The difference is that my voice is clipped and bitterly cold. I find, in that moment, that her smile is detestable. That she finds humor in this situation. I regard her silently when she asks who is responsible. I do not know why it is of any concern; but perhaps this is my first lesson, in this world of water horses. I remember Sereia when she returned to me and laid teeth against my throat a second time. You are mine, she had said. 

“Sereia,” I answer, at last. “In a starved frenzy.” 

I turn my head then to expose the necklace of scars I wear at my throat. There is no finesse, no artistry, to them. The mark is not intentional. It is the mark of a lion at the throat of a bull; killing. 

My eyes are gem-bright, sea-bright, when they lock on hers again. “Are you jealous, Lucinda?” For a moment, brief and flitting, there is an edge of humor to my voice. There is no telling how long it will last. 

@Lucinda | speaks

Messages In This Thread
salt-choked soul - by Vercingtorix - 11-21-2020, 08:38 PM
RE: salt-choked soul - by Lucinda - 11-22-2020, 10:46 PM
RE: salt-choked soul - by Vercingtorix - 11-22-2020, 10:58 PM
RE: salt-choked soul - by Lucinda - 11-29-2020, 07:32 PM
RE: salt-choked soul - by Vercingtorix - 11-30-2020, 01:11 AM
RE: salt-choked soul - by Lucinda - 12-26-2020, 09:59 PM