Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - I rep this city [MEETING]

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

an eye for an eye and the world goes blind

The silent beating wings of a barn owl signaled his arrival.

Nearly everyone within Delumine knew of the barn owl, and what her arrival meant. She was, just as her bond-mate, quite the legend among these lands, like whispers on the breeze, or like ghosts flitting within the forests. Finding a place to roost, Alba landed with silent grace and peered around the gathered citizens of Delumine, her piercing, keen eyes rooted upon the horned doe who introduced herself as the new Queen of Delumine.

Interesting.

Alba’s head swiveled, focusing on the crowd, picking out those whom she knew and those she didn’t. Even though she knew by now that she wouldn’t find them, that they had been swept away as though time itself had stolen them, and oh, how her heart ached at the thought, the barn owl searched the sea of faces for two certain twinlings and an ivory and gold mare. They weren’t there, of course.

They hadn’t been there for a long, long time.

Stepping up into the courtyard, Somnus arrived. Dawn’s light kissed along the golden accents of his skin, catching the way the ivory hair of his shorn mane had begun growing back out in length. The man’s face, greying with age, remained held high, sightless eyes staring forward, his steps confident and casual. Those within the crowd who saw him and recognized him parted immediately, giving him a wide berth, allowing him unhindered passage towards the front of the gathered citizens.

There were even some within the crowd who nodded their heads, dipping their muzzles with reverence and respect at acknowledging Delumine’s former Sovereign, a man who had fought alongside Oriens for for the safety of this home, who had wined, dined, and shared tea with their Patron Deity on more than one occasion, who had served these lands both body and soul for years.

As he arrived at the front of the throne, milky white eyes focused upon the figure he could not see, golden ears flicking forward to listen as she spoke, Alba finally departed her perch. She soared down atop the gathered heads, wings beating without sound, to land effortlessly upon the dunalino’s croup. She popped her beak once towards the closest individual before ruffling her feathers and growing quiet, and Somnus only smiled, wistful and nostalgic.

He stared, sightless and unseeing, emotions roiling within his breast. Slowly he inhaled, deeply, letting the breath fill his lungs and calm his racing heart.

A man of the people, he had always been. Serving Delumine was his calling, serving Oriens, and he could already hear the similarities in the efforts that this lady, this Callynite, boasted. Leading a kingdom was hard work. He knew, firsthand, after all… And one could not do it alone. It would be foolish to try.

Only when silence echoed long enough did he break it, the gentle, patient rasp of his rich, accented voice enough to cut through the quiet that had settled.

“Oriens’ wisdom upon you, Lady,” he greeted with a polite dip of his head, that warm, patient smile still in place as he regarded the young doe, although he couldn’t quite see her. His unfocused pale eyes lingered just slightly off of her, just enough to be unnerving, but Somnus no longer needed his eyes to truly see. Such was the blessing of his devotion to Oriens. He did not introduce himself, as many here knew who and what he was, Callynite surely included.

Somnus knew of his legacy.

“Delumine has always been a land of just fairness, of understanding, a land that appreciates and values thoughtful rationale and higher learning, although some have come and tried to sully such a thing. It seems those corrupt ways of living have held no permanent sway here, much to the relief of this old man’s tired heart.” He paused, long enough to chuckle at his own joke before swiftly going on, effortless in his diplomatic capabilities. “I offer you my wisdom, lady, and my insight. I have served Delumine for most of my years; as a scribe, a scholar, a solitary practitioner in the divinity proffered by Oriens himself, a Champion, and as his chosen Sovereign, many, many years ago.”

“This land has always held my heart, and it shall continue to do so. I offer my allegiance to you, temporary as it shall be in the grand face of time. Should you need insight, or wisdom, or thoughtful opinions, I would be humbled to pass that knowledge unto you, young Queen. You need only ask. I am at your service.”

Somnus then dipped his head, unseeing eyes falling shut for a brief moment before he straightened.

tag:

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
I rep this city [MEETING] - by Callynite - 09-11-2021, 12:48 PM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Aska - 09-11-2021, 03:36 PM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Huehuecoyotl - 09-11-2021, 06:01 PM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Somnus - 09-11-2021, 07:08 PM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Meira - 09-11-2021, 09:33 PM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Eirene - 09-12-2021, 01:47 AM
RE: I rep this city [MEETING] - by Callynite - 09-18-2021, 11:17 AM