Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

- Home is where the heart is

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Pan

Pan needed a home.  Home had been such a fleeting thing for some time now, and his travel was beginning to make him weary.  Loneliness had been his only companion for the past several weeks, and as he stared at his reflection in the happily babbling river, Pan couldn’t help but feel a pang of sadness.  He watched as his face rippled beneath the surface, and tried to smile at the boy who stared back at him, almost fighting to encourage himself to keep going… but it was still a lot to take.  Looking behind him, he caught a quick flash of brown fur, his heart leaping toward the thought that perhaps Oliver had found his way here.

”Oliver!”

His quiet whisper was enough to cause the furry creature to turn and stare at the boy, but instead of his familiar companion, he found a groundhog staring back.  With a sigh, he turned away, following the river deeper and deeper into the Dawn Court.  It wasn’t a place he knew, and yet there was a strange sort of calling that brought him through the forest and toward the meadow opening.  The scenery here was lovely – enough to raise even his most deflated mood, and he willed a smile as he stepped into the dappled sunlight and into the meadow.

Behind him, the river continued to babble on, and the sound of water was a comfort.  Birdsong filled the air here too, great stately oaks and pines swaying in the breeze and providing them shelter from the bright sun.  In the grass, he finds a cheerfully hopping rabbit, a quiet and regal stag, and watches for several moments as a family of quail totter one behind another through the tall grass.  It was enough… for now, it was enough to give his restless heart a place to rest.  And with a sigh, the green colt lowered himself into the mountain meadow, dozing peacefully beside the river in this place that would become the home he so desired.

Pan
Dawn Court
character © Firefly; html by castlegraphics; image by alexlibby

Kasil

KASIL

The water was cool against his throat, a compliment to the fair weather that the spring had brought to them. It was easy to say that the spring was his favorite season, comparable to the dawn that the court was called after. It was a fresh start in nature, the withered remains of winter giving way to the beauty of fresh greenery -- like a new dawn breaking through the hard embrace of night. Spring also meant an end to the season of fasting and prayer, one that had ended with his ascension to the duties of Sovereign; much to his mother’s delight. It was of no doubt that his rise to power would have been a source of pride for his grandsire as well, although the elder had never held a lust for it. Kasil would have been just as complacent as his grandsire, happy to serve in the Emissary capacity just as many in his family had done so before him -- but it seemed that Oriens had other ideas for his confused and anxiety-ridden servant.

The stallion lingered along the river’s edge, an entourage of guardians and advisors taking a reprieve from the lengthy discussion that they had been having. It seemed that others were just as concerned about his rule as he was; and there were many seats and positions left unfilled after such a tumultuous season. He would have to gather his people, and soon, in order to bring them to heel -- to dispel any fears or worries they had. It was laughable, he thought, expected to quell the fears and uneasiness of his fellow equine while he himself was beside himself with terror. One flick of his ear and he could end the livelihood of another. The power was not something he would have wanted. But he found himself unable to abdicate it. He was the third to take the seat, following the lines and laws of succession. It was duty that kept his ass firmly to the seat.

The Rapax River was a deceptive thing, particularly when it came to sections of it like this. Beneath the seemingly placid surface was something moving so swift that it would drag a grown horse off of his feet and down further where rocks waited to crush bone. A tricky, tempting mistress -- especially in the heat of summer. Kasil lifted his head from the water’s edge, stray drops of the life giving liquid rolling down his chin and staining his rich, dark pelt. He knew all too well how easy it was to be caught in such a trap, had felt the water's wrath more than once in his youth and had been lucky enough to escape her snare without too much harm. It was his thoughts that drew him away from the edge, a mindless habit to wander while he sifted through thoughts and memories. The grass gave way to rock and sand in spaces, before melding back into wavering, dancing blades of green once more. Some of the blades tickled his soft underbelly, while others threatened to snare his limbs.

Kasil drew a pause when it registered to him that he had wandered away, though by the time he looked around himself to assess just how far he had gone -- his party was well out of sight. And he was not alone here, either. At first, he mistook the boy for a mare -- his features delicate and child-like; asleep near the river's edge in a bed of the soft grass. Glancing around himself, Kasil eventually decided on an approach, not wishing to startle the stranger -- but unsure of how to go about it. Sneaking up on them would surely give a fright, and a yell from this distance would have the same effect. Forgoing silence, Kasil made it a point to rustle the grasses around him; using nature to act as a warning for his approach. He gave a great snort and a sigh, shaking his head just enough to loosen the knots in his hair that he used to keep it out of his way -- before opening his mouth.

"Hello there!" He said, his tone bright and friendly. No sense in being unkind, especially when this youngster did not seem at all familiar to him -- and he had lived in this court his entire life. It was easy to know most, especially given his more...prestigious upbringing. The bay stag kept his great wings tucked in tight against the barrel of his body, standing just a few feet from where the boy was dozing. He had positioned himself strategically, keeping the pale boy between himself and the river. He could go to the right or the left, but with the river at his back and Kasil before him -- it kept his options for flight limited. Kasil wanted a chance to talk, before anyone did any running. "The riverside is not the best place to rest, I'm afraid." He said kindly, nodding in the direction of the babbling waters. "Which...you would know if you were of my court, young friend. I am Kasil. And just who...might you be?"

@Pan

coding by Avis

Pan

Pan could tell that someone else was here, because a shadow fell over him and the winds shifted to carry the scent of another stallion toward him.  But Pan was unafraid.  As he shivered in the sudden chill, he stretched, blinking slowly as he began to make out the form of the Pegasus king.  Before his words were heard, the green colt’s blurry vision traced the outline of his wings, the loose knots in his hair, and he offers the stranger a sleepy smile.  He takes his time, stretching his legs long against the grass, before standing up and shaking away the remnants of dust that clung to him.

”I’m Pan.” he offered casually, looking from the stallion to the river, and back again.  Puzzlement crossed his face, as he mulled over the thought that the river was dangerous.  Maybe for those who couldn’t swim… but Pan was meant to do so.  That, and the green colt was fearless.  ”I’m not afraid of anything.”  He offered the statement in a tone that wasn’t boisterous or rude, simply matter of fact.  For in the green colt’s mind, the phrase was nothing but true and honest.  While there had been bad things which happened to Pan in his travels, the boy loved life with a healthy embrace.  The things that frightened him were simply things he needed more exposure to.  So even when the lurking spidey-sense got to him, Pan simply pushed through it to experience more, and more, and more.

”I live here.”  A fact which was probably surprising to the Sovereign.  ”Well, not here, exactly… but by the sea.  Where is your court?”  If he had any knowledge of who Kasil was, the scaled boy certainly didn’t show it.  But he wasn’t disrespectful either.  Instead, the boy talked to the winged leader as he would a trusted friend… for each and every creature Pan came across in life was a friend in his mind.  Genuine and inquisitive, he blinked his bright and curious eyes toward the male, waiting to see what stories the stranger had to tell.

Pan
Dawn Court

@Kasil

Kasil

KASIL

The chocolate colored stallion’s ears flickered forward as the boy smiled sleepily at him, the silver hair tousled from sleep. He was quite the sight with shimmering scales of green at specific points of his otherwise unremarkable coat of gray. Kasil could not say that he had ever seen an equine with scales before, and it brought to mind a question of whether the boy’s scales were those of fish or perhaps some type of reptile? HIs patience endured as the other stallion began a leisurely stretch, before finding his way to his feet; and Kasil shuffled his own weight in order to lax his left hind. The hoof hung lazily in the air near his right ankle, the other three points of his body anchoring him to the ground.

I’m Pan. The male offered, though no title or proclamation of court seemed to follow. Kasil’s kindly gaze averted to the river again, the rumbling a comforting sound -- easy enough to put one to sleep, he supposed. He rose a brow as his attention returned to the lad before him, who asserted that he was unafraid of anything-- drawing the Sovereign’s lips into a smile. ”A good quality. Fearlessness. But it is not...cowardly to be cautious.” Kasil mentioned, keeping the tone light and not condoning the stag. He was just a child in reality, though perhaps at his spritely age that it was easy to not be afraid of anything. He had yet to face any real challenges that life might toss his way, but give him a few years and he would see the sense in fear. If not for himself, perhaps for others around him. Like Kasil.

The other brow on the dark stallion’s face rose, his surprise evident upon his face. Perhaps he was not as familiar with his home court as he needed to be, but then the boy put away his misconception. By the sea was it? An unusual place to live. Kasil had never had a particular draw to the sea himself, always finding the waves and the endless depth a bit of deterrent to one such as himself...a child of the air. Kasil’s wings spread themselves, stretching and ruffling the feathers before settling back down against his sides. It had been too long since he had took to the skies, tied down by his duties to the Court.

”Where is my court?” The stag repeated, before swaying his head from the left and to the right. ”You stand in it. Well, one piece of it of course.” His blunt tail slashed against his hocks, and Kasil gave the boy-stallion another passing glance. ”This is the Dawn Court, and I am it’s Sovereign. Newly appointed, but...all the same.” The Sovereign offered him a smile, nodding his head back in the direction of his entourage of advisors and guardians. ”Would you like to come back with me, to the court’s center? We could speak on the way there, and you are certainly welcome as an ally of mine, Pan.”

Sorry, I wasn’t quite clear on if Pan meant he lived in the dawn court or not so I took a little liberty. Let me know if I need to change it!
@Pan

coding by Avis

Pan

Pan wasn’t too sure about leaving the river… after all, he’d only just arrived.  But like a map that spread out in his head, he knew he could find the place again – where the river met the sea, and follow it back to the place he’d decided was home.  The river might be dangerous, as Kasil suggested, but Pan could never feel at home somewhere without water.  So, if the sea was not an option, then he would live by the river’s edge.  Offering the stranger a trusting smile, Pan shook away the last of the river dirt that clung to him, and stepped easily beside him, following him deeper into the heart of the Dawn Court.

Wondering briefly why it wouldn’t be cowardly to be cautious, he shrugged off the thought and fell into an easy conversation with the keeper of the Court.  Kasil was quite personable, and Pan had no problem creating a story in his mind that the stag was a friend and a strong warrior.  After all, the older male seemed quite wise in the ways of the world.  He reminded the boy of another beloved leader, his Commander Shepard.  She, of course, had been the first “sovereign” type that he’d come across (not that he understood that the positions were one and the same), and he had quite easily fit into the hierarchy structure of a herd.  Pan needed to be social, and was eagerly looking forward to finding his place again.

”Sorry that I came into your court without asking.  I didn’t know that anyone lived here’  You’re the first one I’ve seen by the river yet.  Are there more?” He bowed his head a bit sheepishly, offering an apologetic sort of grin, before continuing.  ”I’ve never seen a court before… it sounds kinda fancy.  Are there a lot of rules?  Do you have any kids there, like me?”  Not that it mattered… Pan was usually the youngest, and he had no problem with making friends with grown ups.  ”What’s a sovereign anyway?  Are you like a king… or a knight?  I was a knight in Eirhelm… brave, and loyal to Commander Shephard!”

The boy stallion let loose with a barrage of questions and jumbled statements, not stopping for more than a short breath between them. Though his body looked every bit the two year old he was, it was clear that Pan still had the mannerisms of a boy. As they walked, the riverbank gave way to wider fields, and he found that they were heading further north.  The compass on his haunches twisted this way and that, settling on true north and guiding their path as they marched onward.  ”I like to be an ally… maybe I can help with your court.  I’m a great explorer!”

ooc:  we can move this thread to Dawn Court if you’d like to reply there :)

Pan
Dawn Court

@Kasil

Kasil

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
KASIL

Kasil offered the boy a smile, a slight hint of humor playing on his lips. ”Not to worry, Pan.” He said lightly, letting his eyes fall closed for a moment as he spoke. When he opened them again, they wandered over the landscape -- as if looking for another who might be hiding. ”All are welcome in Delumine. We just ask that you respect our God, Oriens, and those around you. The same shall be offered to you in return.” He was a little grateful for the chatter, and that it seemed...for the time being that there would be no harm in conversing with the youth. He seemed excitable and young, eager to please -- though Kasil would hold him at an arm’s length until he was certain that those traits were true. ”Well...yes,” The Sovereign replied, beginning to pick up his feet and move in the direction that he had come, keeping the younger stallion between him and the river.

”Most live near the Citadel, near the heart of the Court. But our Court is quite unique in that we send our younger members out into the world to learn from other courts. Then it is up to you to decide who you will follow, although...we obviously hope that Oriens will guide you back to us.” The dark colored stallion passed the silvery stag a glance, finding his endless stream of questions more endearing than annoying. ”Not too many rules, no.” Kasil said, his ears swiveling out to catch the murmurs of his advisors that he had abandoned -- they were seemingly unpleased at the company that he kept now. They must have had more business to speak of. It could wait.

”There are some children, but I hope that there will be more to come. The Court has been through some rough times lately, and things are just beginning to settle once more.” He nodded his head in the direction they were headed, adjusting the position of his wings against his barrel, the grasses tickling his underbelly. ”A Sovereign? It is like a king. It technically means a supreme ruler, but I like to think of myself as a vessel for Oriens.” He let out a little chuckle. ”I suppose that sounds as bad as calling myself a god.” He glanced at Pan again. ”What I mean is, that I try to think like Oriens -- I try to lead the people back to him so that he can give them fulfillment. We value knowledge, and who is our ultimate source except for Oriens himself?

”I would love your help, Pan, if you would like to lend it to us. But perhaps, you’d like to take a page from our books and see more of the world? I know that it helped me know where I belonged.” It was not quite a lie. There was always a lingering feeling that Kasil had that if he had had a true choice, he might not have returned to Delumine at all. He was too consumed with the fear of failure; but his sense of duty and love for Delumine had forced him home.

”Have you seen the other courts yet, Pan? There are three others besides this one, each with their own god or goddess, different lore and sovereigns. It is quite an interesting time to be in Novus.”

coding by Avis <3

Pan

As Kasil spoke of Oriens, the pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place.  To this point, Pan had only heard of one god here, and that was Solis.  Inkheart had told him about the god of day, but she hadn’t mentioned the others… so without the knowledge of the lore here, Pan had just gone on worshipping the wrong god and didn’t even know enough to know that he was wrong.  Thinking of this now, his face paled a bit and he dropped his head lower, his voice a guilty whisper between his teeth.  ”I didn’t know that there was a different god, here.  I heard about Solis when I got here… and tried to be his friend.  But now I hope that I didn’t make Oriens mad.  Do you think he’ll punish me?”  

Gulping down the fear of retribution, Pan’s mind wondered over the rest of what Kasil had said.  In a way, the sovereign… the king… had offered him his heart’s desire.  To roam, to learn, to explore.  Nothing would bring the boy greater pleasure, and his heart leapt at the chance to see the world.  Deciding at once that Dawn Court would be his home, especially if this was their policy for knowing things, he nodded emphatically at Kasil.  ”I saw one other place… it’s Florentine’s home, my best friend.  She lives at the Dusk Court, with Rannveig.  They were kind to me.”

He knew instinctively that he belonged here, in this place of learning.  He would go, see the world… but he would come back.  Because even in his short life, Pan had learned the value of home, and the value of family.  Kasil, he immediately thought of us a brother figure.  Oriens, perhaps a father.  And Pan would want to do them proud… he would make sure of it.  

”I won’t let you down.”  He offered, genuinely.  ”I will be a good vessel for the Dawn Court – you’ll see.  For Oriens too.”  For this was what Pan was born to do.  To go forth, to bring people together, to spread his love and zest for life.  And, reporting to the heart of knowledge and wisdom didn’t sound half bad either.  Pan was an excellent student – curious and bright.  He’d been working on his reading – first with Serket in the temples, and later with Tarquin.  More than anything, the boy wanted to know everything there was to know… and if he stayed young forever, he knew he’d have a lifetime to do so.

”Should I tell them anything, when I go?  Do you want me to spread any message for the Dawn Court?”

Pan
Dawn Court

@Kasil

Kasil

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
KASIL

It was a curious change of tone that made Kasil pause, frowning as he looked toward the silver-colored boy who had been so chipper just moments before. Kasil internalized that he might have said something to upset him, and was thinking of a way to apologize for whatever it was when Pan spoke up. Ah.. Kasil thought, waiting until he had finished speaking. He chuckled lightly under his breath. ”It is of no surprise to me that whomever you met only told you about Solis.” He said, his tone conversational and unchiding. ”Our friends in the Day Court think of little else besides Solis, but such is their nature. They have great pride in him, as he carries the sun from here to Dusk. He’s a strong god, and many find him worth praise.” He came a bit closer, reaching out to nudge the boy on the shoulder. ”You are new. It’s quite alright, and if you choose to worship Solis primarily then you are welcome to it. I only ask that you show Oriens respect as well, and follow the laws of our land while you are here.”

The Sovereign pulled his nose away from the boy’s shoulder, glancing up ahead and swivelling and ear towards Pan to continue to listen. ”Ah, the Dusk Court. They are a fine people, very kind.” He said brightly, nodding to himself. ”I would consider them the closest to Dawn Court, based on their ideals. Though, I have yet to meet the Queen Ranniveig. Was your friend...Florentine was it? Was she able to introduce you?” He did have a mighty curiosity about the only female Sovereign. He was sure though, that she would not have treated an outsider too harshly -- and Pan seemed to be in good health.

”I know that you will not, Pan.” Kasil agreed, spreading one of his wings to drape it across the boy’s back, as one might put an arm around a shoulder. ”I can tell that you are going to be a great servant to Oriens. Just remember something for me, alright?”He had slowed, becoming a little more solemn as he turned to look him in the face. ”Always be true to yourself. What you think...what you believe to be true is going to shape who you are -- and you need to trust yourself.”

Kasil was quite serious, and was silent a moment before drawing his wing back into his body. He wished that someone had given him the same advice at a younger age. Perhaps it might have saved him a bit of anxiety now, as a king. ”When you go, when you find other people...tell them to visit us, to see what it is like in Delumine. That is the only message I have for you to tell.” He said, the soft smile returning. ”We have nothing to hide here, only things to share.”

coding by Avis <3
@Pan
wow, sorry for the sap fest there.

Pan

Pan decided he liked this place, and more, that he liked the sovereign.  Kings who thought themselves high and mighty were not his style, but there was something personable and warm about Kasil that drew him closer.  The boy was a creature that gave of himself freely, and without reservation.  This loyalty would serve the Dawn Court well – for though he was a creature born to roam and travel, he would always come back to this place, now that he decided it was home.  Perhaps they would find the best use of Pan and his skills, and put the boy to work for Delumine.  This was his hope, for the child wanted nothing more than to be a productive member of his new home.

He visibly relaxed when no punishment came for his worship of Solis, deciding that the freedom to worship made him like the ideals of this place even more.  He wouldn’t do well in a place with rigid structure, and made a mental note to seek out Oriens and learn more about what the god of the Dawn was like.  Maybe Charlemagne would teach him… after all, the silver unicorn was a sage and probably knew way more about these things than the green scaled boy could find out on his own.  Maybe there were books that told of this lore.  Pan needed the reading practice, since his reading level was average, at best.

He grinned thinking of Rannveig, offering a nod of assurance to the king.  ”Flora didn’t show me Rannveig, she found me all on her own.  I was sleeping in the swamp, and she came in the night and kept me warm.  She watched over me, like some sort of guardian angel.”  And again, he was grateful for it.  Pan didn’t really expect that things could harm him, and approached life with a bit of a laissez faire attitude, but it didn’t hurt to have strong allies on his side.  

”I will tell them about Delmine, and to come and visit.  It’s good to have new friends.”  He offered the last bit with a grin.  ”And, I’m going to learn to heal… see if that’s something I can do here with the herd.  I think it’s maybe a better job for me than being a warrior.  Between us, I don’t know that I’m really cut out for fighting, but I’ll practice that too.”

With that, the scaled boy turned toward the south, looking back to offer Kasil one more reassuring grin, before beginning his journey of self discovery – with hope and adventure in his chest.

Pan
Dawn Court

@Kasil

Played by Offline inkbone [PM] Posts: 73 — Threads: 1
Signos: 25,195
Owner Administrator

Staff note: FIREFLY and DISTANT have both redeemed signos for completing this thread. DISTANT has redeemed signos for threading with Firefly for the first time (Firefly had claimed Distant in a previous thread).

the novus crew

the someday crew