Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - the red bird comes all winter

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

an eye for an eye and the world goes blind

Looking back, Somnus surmised that he shouldn’t have been surprised at Po’s softly spoken inquiry. Mentioning the pink river dolphins tugged at the dunalino’s heart strings, recalling fondly the memories he had spent by the shore to watch the swift little creatures dart and swim around in the water. Elusive they may have been, a myth to some, but Somnus had been graced by their presence on calm spring days and warm summer evenings far more often than perhaps anyone else within Novus.

His smile was genuine as he pulled back from Ipomoea, taking a moment to simply examine and appreciate that his little brother was well. No, they may not have the same blood, but family was what one made it, and he found that ever so slowly that family continued to grow.

Po seemed tired in far more than the literal sense, world weary and changed from the things he had seen and experienced, but it was still him, the beautiful man with the kindred, gentle soul, who tended to the flowers within Delumine’s gardens and thrust his heart, his passion, so completely into everything that he did. At times, Somnus wished he could take notes.

’Why Kasil picked me over you, I’ll never understand. Delumine would be a far better place if he had.’ A passing pinch to his brow was the only hint that the dark thought crossed his mind, but to cover it up the dunalino spoke, the elegance of his accent causing his words to be soft and poised.

“They are, and unlike time I feel they’ll never truly change. Beautiful and elusive, a gift to those who are blessed enough to see them.” Somnus’ smile grows, dark lips turning upwards as his emerald eyes glitter in the light shining through the windows, his features calm, relaxed, warm. Alba watched the interaction with a tilt of her head, her thoughts and opinions for once silent in the back of his mind. “Only time will tell how things progress from here, I’m afraid. The world has changed, and we must change with it.”

The peaceful, simple conversation could not last, however. There was simply too much going on for that to be the case. The world around them was changing, and Delumine had been stagnant for far too long. It was time to change, to follow the tides of time much like the dolphins that glided through the Rapax. Catching Ipomoea’s ruby eyes as the soft, almost hesitant inquiry of ’what now?’ broke the silence between them, Somnus cleared his throat and motioned vaguely for the younger man to follow.

“Come. I need to speak with you.”

Strangely enough, the stallion was calm as he turned on his haunches to begin a casual stroll through the familiar hallways of the citadel. His pulse did not race, his mind did not fray, his throat did not close. He simply was, calm, relaxed, and at peace. This was the right thing to do. Somnus had no doubts. For Delumine to prosper, action had to be taken, but it would not be him who guided their home into that more prosperous future.

They had only gone a few paces before the tactician spoke, their hooves a matching cadence upon the stone floor. ”For too long, we have been stuck. I know that you have seen it and felt it. I know that is one of the reasons why you left as you did, among others.” Now wasn’t the time to get into those motivations, however. Perhaps Somnus’ mind would always be on the home front, but call him ‘old fashioned’.

”The world is changing around us, and for far too long Delumine has followed its tradition of choosing to never pick a side. We are, after all, creatures of habit, fueled by the need to calculate our information, sort through it, and ultimately judge by the evidence acquired. What better judges are there than the ones who follow Oriens, the patron of wisdom and understanding? Avoiding brash and irrational decision, choosing instead of weigh all of our options before taking action… Those things should not be forgotten, but I believe it is time to step beyond those archaic ways of thinking and open the doors to a new age.”

They continued along their aimless wander, and occasionally Somnus would purposefully bump his shoulder, or the curve of a downy wing against Ipomoea’s side. Reassurance, understanding, affection. You are not alone. We are not alone. There was so much he wanted to say, he just hoped that Ipomoea would listen and understand.

“Unfortunately I no longer believe myself capable of leading Delumine through that door. I see now it was never my place. I did what I could for our home, for this land that I was not born in but have grown to love and cherish, loving a God who was not mine but now, I am his. I will always serve Delumine, but it needs someone far more passionate, far more determined, far more strong-willed and tenacious to lead it into a new era of prosperity and functionality.”

Verdant depths glanced to the side, catching Ipomoea’s coral eyes for only a moment. He smiled, sad yet so proud.

”Delumine needs someone who will throw themselves into a war for the sake of not only their home, but for those who need protection, for the silent voices of those with nooses around their necks who could not even cry out for help. It needs someone who won’t think twice about stepping up, about understanding the importance of knowledge and wisdom but also the importance of action.. Delumine needs someone who will not say goodbye, but instead leaves little notes in their wake and causes their brother to worry. Delumine needs you, Po. And so do I.”

”I am no longer the sovereign that Delumine needs, but you are… And I would be honored to bestow that title onto you, little brother.”

They came to a stop before a large glass window overlooking the beautiful gardens that Ipomoea had spent so very long tending to and cultivating, taking the smallest of seeds and inspiring them to grow into something beautiful. Somnus had no doubts that he would do those very things with Delumine. The seeds had been sewn, but now, it was time for them to grow.

tag: @Ipomoea - <3

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 07-30-2019, 12:56 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 09-19-2019, 02:41 AM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 10-01-2019, 05:39 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 10-01-2019, 10:23 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 10-02-2019, 11:27 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Somnus - 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM
RE: the red bird comes all winter - by Ipomoea - 12-09-2019, 07:14 PM