Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - the sun also rises -- auditions

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Ipomoea

you be the wind
i'll be the wildflower

The citadel’s bells are ringing, and Ipomoea’s hooves echo through the empty halls, each strike hard and sharp. A runner jogs alongside him, young and struggling to keep up.

“Who do I notify, sir?” he asks, and the Sovereign glances at him with one cherry colored eye.

“Everyone.”

The youth looks shocked for a moment, then quickly nods. “Of course!” he says, and canters off. Ipomoea pauses beside an open window, listening to his hurried hoofbeats fade away. A vine reaches in through the window, morning glories blossoming along its length. A petal brushes against his shoulder, its touch as soft as silk.

The Dawn Court has been far too quiet since his return, like a thick veil has been dropped over the city. It feels strange to him; once he had mistaken the quiet for peace.

Now it feels to him like a Court hovering on the brink of its own death, a Court whose breath does not come easy.

He looks out into the Courtyard, where the first are beginning to gather, drawn forward by the messenger racing through the city. It’s still early morning, and a low fog is clinging low to the ground, making the horses look like ghosts emerging from the grey. The Court is just beginning its day, an hour when others might still be sleeping. But he knows they will come. They are the early-risers, the sunrise-watchers, the ones who find peace in new beginnings. He waits for them, waits for the way they slowly trickle in to slow.

And then he goes out to them.

“Delumine,” he calls, and his voice seems to cut through the fog like sunlight breaking through a cloud. As he speaks, he does not stand before them. Ipomoea walks among them, his Court, his family, his friends, and he looks them in their eyes with a smile that is warm and bright despite the autumn’s chill.

“Today I come to you with one request. Delumine, once a great place of learning, of love, of joy, has begun to wane. You are the only ones who can save it.

“This I ask: any of you who are willing, come forward. Any of you who love your Court and wish to see her prosper, come forward. Any of you who have a dream, a hope, a desire, a love, a grievance, a will to change the world: come forward, and help me to do just that.”

He stops then in their midst, as the people of his Court gather in close. Ipomoea reaches down, breathing upon the dark, damp earth. A chicory plant begins to grow, its pale blue flowers blooming and reaching out like fingers for the citizens.

The flower-crowned king smiles, and looks back at them all. “Help me change the world. Together we will bloom, and our colors will be the brightest of them all.”

The first birds of the morning begin to sing.

@everyone!

auditions are open!

These auditions are open to anyone who is seeking a role within the Dawn Court. At the moment Regime, Champion, and speciality ranks are all open. You don't need your character to state which rank they want IC, but please make sure your character shows up and reply with the form OOC.

This thread will close on or around November 2nd. After that, I will post a short IC reply with Po to announce ranks.

If you currently have a rank, you must reply to this meeting to keep and/or defend your rank! If you don't reply and someone else does and speaks up your rank, you will forfeit it to them.

Above all, I want people who plan to actively engage with Dawn Court. I want the Regime and Counsel to act as a team to plan events, lore, plots, and help keep the community active! I will expect equal effort from this team (myself included), and look forward to having a team that will support each other through IC and OOC/life developments. Everyone has a shot at this position, whether you're a Dawn Court native or not. Po and I both need your help, and look forward to working with you. ♡

In order to apply,

please post an IC response to this post; then fill out the following OOC form, and either post it at the bottom or your reply or, if you prefer, send it in a message to me.

- Which rank would you like your character to have?
Please list rank in order of preference, if you have more than one choice.

- How active do you think your character will be if they are given a PoP?
I don't expect 10+ every month! I'd just like a feel for how many posts you think you can comfortably keep up without stressing yourself out.

- Are you willing to help develop Court lore, NPCs, events, etc?

- What are you some plot ideas you have for Delumine? What's your vision?

- Where do you see your character, specifically, fitting in?

***please note, if you are only seeking a speciality rank (those seen here, this form is not necessary!! Just let me know which you'd like c:

thank you everyone for your interest

Played by Offline Cannon [PM] Posts: 134 — Threads: 26
Signos: 80
Inactive Character

ANDRAS DEMYAN

who would believe the fantastic
and terrible story of our survival?
It begins here:
Andras comes to the city on the heels of the king, days ago, and it is quiet.

Here and there he can hear chatter through an open window, or someone passes him in the street (and they say hi or they don't, Andras does not return the favor) but these are punctuated by long stretches of silence, nothing but the sigh of the wind.

In that silence he can hear himself, can hear the churn of his heart and the relentless bubbling at his core, like a caged animal, like a pacing animal, like an animal pounding the bars of its cage. Day and night, hour after hour, the drumming. Day and night, the high-pitched wailing of an engine releasing steam. It drives him mad.

Today, he is among the crowd gathered in the courtyard, a cluster of hopeful faces, as the sun peeks its face over the castle walls. Everything is gray, and hazy, and as Ipomoea weaves between them, breaths rise from their bodies in hot puffs.

This too is deafening.
Delumine, he says, come forward he says, and in spite of himself, Andras is thinking. 

He is an arrow, shot without direction, sharp and fleet as a winter wind, singing without end through the air alongside the curve of the earth.

Andras breathes. The murmur of the crowd grows around him, questions amongst friends and sages, laughter in some back corner. He is grim, and motionless, fixed on the king as he moves. He grits his teeth.

All there is is the wind, rushing past him faster and faster, filling his lungs too fast. He is waiting for the 'thock' of impact, the moment of landing. It never comes.

The tree is rising, stretching, creaking with the effort of being alive. It seems so easy. It has never been that easy for Andras. Each second he lives feels like another clock ticking toward the end. Each second groans on for hours. Andras thinks, if only there were something. Andras thinks, if there were something to hold him, one dark pocket of the earth where the only thing louder than his heart is his purpose--

The moment of impact.
"I will," he says, and his bones rattle with the force of his raging heart, "I'll do anything."

they made you into a weapon
and told you to find peace.

Mateo

The sound of bells stirs the foggy morning.

Mateo is there. Not first or last but in between, he arrives, and squeezes between two monks. “What’s going on?” He asks quietly the man to his left (Frankie was his name– Mateo bumped into him often at the taverns)

Once the sun rose and cut through the chill of night it was going to be a crisp, clear day. Mateo knew this as any winged creature does: he could feel it in his feathers. Until then, the fog hangs heavy as the silence, interrupted only by muffled, uncertain whispers and the soft clop of winged feet.

Mateo feels a cringey nervousness at the thought of speaking in front of all these people. It is not until Impomoea draws closer, as he makes his way round the small gathering, that Mateo clears his throat and catches the regent– no, the sovereign’s– attention with a wave of a single black wing.

M-Me too, sir. I’ll do anything.” The young black pegasus is careful not to look at the other young black pegasus, the newer one. The one who spoke first. He fluffs his feathers nervously. “I love my court. And I– I just want the rest of Novus to see all there is to love here. We could– we should be sharing our bounty with the other courts. Make Delumine a safehaven of knowledge and justice.” He folds into a graceful bow, and manages at last to speak in a voice that does not quiver: “Wherever you want me, I am there.

It might be sunlight that suddenly fills the gathering, or it might just be a trick of his magic. Either way, for just a moment the air is warm and bright and full of promise.

art

Champion of Wisdom or Community? Warden might suit him as well? Honestly, wherever Po wants him <3

5 posts per  month at the very very least

Of course, I’d love to!

I would love to utilize the forest more! Forests traditionally being a place of darkness/mystery/unknown, there’s a lot of fun stuff there to explore. Perhaps new landmarks, NPCs, and lore to develop. I also have always loved the scholarly element of Delumine and would love plots that would encourage Dawn Court citizens to travel to other courts to learn new things.

Honestly I’m a little torn with Mateo at the moment and considered shelving him for a long while. He’s traditionally been a homebody who’s stuck close to court, and I see him either taking advantage of this and being a constant figure in court life, OR being challenged to break out of his comfort zone and leave Delumine more.

Played by Offline Teal [PM] Posts: 22 — Threads: 5
Signos: 460
Inactive Character

Morning had rose and with it soft rays began to splinter the clouds and bath the land in a fresh warmth. The great orb that rose was peacefully watched by the horned stallion, who had found respite in the Dawn Court. He greeted the sun with tender affection and a contempt sigh, the beauty of an early morning irreplaceable in his heart. A new day translated into new adventures, new experiences, and what more in a gift could you ask for?
It was then a hurried voice called, interrupting his thoughtful morning and announcing a court meeting. The stallion paused his admiration and question the hasty youth about the location, thanking him for an answer before watching him rush off and continue declaring the meeting. Butterflies fluttered in his stomach, but within himself he found the courage to begin walking in the direction he had been shown. The day had not disappointed, a new experience was on its way and Atlaas took it within a calm stride.

Arriving early, he firstly noticed the lacking of bodies, but soon as the fog began to slowly lift an array of equines, winged and horned, scaled and plain steadily begin to collect in the space, mumbles and mutters being shared amongst maws, discussing what possible events may be happening. New to the court and anxious, Atlaas stayed free of the chatter and instead focused on what was happening around him. The crowd stirred, anticipation growing as yet more joined the ranks and waited, before a voice rumbled.

For a few moments, his baby blues did not spot a speaker nor podium, but the voice travelled on the same level as he. Keenly, he raised his cranium and looked around, spotting the coloured speaker as he paced between his disciples. Once finished, a few voices spoke up in reply. He looked from speaker to speaker, announcing their dedication to the Dawn Court and the unicorn wondered if he himself would ever feel so aligned with a specific alliance. His heart ran with the wind, freedom calling his loins. But being part of something bigger, family like, provided its own new experiences and Atlaas didn’t have the heart to turn that down.

“I am a merchant, an Artisan – I craft leather and sketch, and my services can serve the Dawn Court, if you wish,” He spoke when the previous speakers fell silent, a lone voice rising from the crowd. Though he was a fresh breath in the quarters, he offered his services to the king despite having no bonds to him, merely respect that his skills may help his plight.

ooc: Atlaas would like to be recognised as an Artisan! He is also, in future, open to higher roles as I am fairly active. But as he's new I won't push it now!

Played by Offline Cass [PM] Posts: 11 — Threads: 2
Signos: 5
Inactive Character

The ancients whisper, do you hear them?

~~~
Perhaps it had been the wind whispering through the changing leaves or the rumors that filtered into the woods, carried on the wings of songbirds but he’d been drawn from the forest. It had been an age since his emerald eyes had been set upon a clear sky, the canopy had been his shelter for far too long and now he found himself heading towards the capitol, following the whispers of a flower kissed king.

It was a long journey but the antlered creature simply followed the raging river that slithered across Delumine towards the distant, glistening sea. It was a silent journey, only the simple echoes of nature reaching the stallion, his ears swivelling to catch each beautiful sound. Seir wasn’t particularly happy about facing the city but in his heart, he knew there was something for him there. For some time, it was as if he could feel a void in his woods. The trees had grown quieter, their presence fading slightly and the young god had grown increasingly concerned with the state of the Viride.

~~~

Finally, peeking over the slowly brightening horizon, the city comes into Sier’s view and a sigh escapes him. The godling had been avoiding this for so long, his existence remaining unknown to the rest of the world, even though he’d been there for seemingly countless years. Time had slowed for him and his time in the forest was peaceful and undisturbed, until this uprooting of Dawn’s politics. Honestly, the creature wasn’t sure who was leading these lands or who had come before him but now seemed to be the best time to intervene. It was time for Delumine to know of him, of those like him who were living beneath the surface of society.

To others, the ageless, antlered creature would appear a myth, but as he walked through the streets of the city, it became clear he was no such thing. The lantern hanging from a tine above his skull was squeaking slightly with his fluid movements. The strangers that passed him seemed to stop and gawk at the curious, ethereal being that made his first appearance here at such a crucial hour. However, the stallion’s jade gaze never left the palace before him, his attention solely dedicated to the king who had risen from the dirt, blooming like a flower in his woodland home.

A voice reached him, a clear, kind tone that reverberated down the street as his attention landed on the man who had spoken.
“Today I come to you with one request. Delumine, once a great place of learning, of love, of joy, has begun to wane. You are the only ones who can save it. "
Sier’s eyes narrowed slightly at the painted stallion’s honest words, his mind racing as he imagined all the ways the condition of Viride reflected his statement.

Cloven hooves carried him closer, his antlers standing out in the growing crowd of citizens and yet, he stood oddly still, each muscle frozen as he remained fixed upon their budding king. Sier had watched many royals, empires and politicians rise and fall, each the same; foolish and overly ambitious. But, this one seemed…. different and the immortal couldn’t quite decipher what the reason could be.

“This I ask: any of you who are willing, come forward. Any of you who love your Court and wish to see her prosper, come forward. Any of you who have a dream, a hope, a desire, a love, a grievance, a will to change the world: come forward, and help me to do just that.”
The request struck a chord within him and suddenly there was turmoil rushing through his veins. That inner voice was screaming, demanding that he not allow himself to become involved in these useless matters again.
But, it didn’t take long for his concious to win out and a sigh escaped him once more as he stepped forward.

Allowing himself to become exposed before the king, he nods slightly, an indication of his loyalty in those silent moments. All that time, those centuries of existence had done nothing but prepare him for a life of solitude and now, the antlered creature had revealed himself and bowed before a young king.
As he watched that petite flower appear from the earth, he knew it couldn't be a mistake.
~~~

~~~
Please list rank in order of preference, if you have more than one choice.

Honestly, I'm not sure. I think he would be a wonderful adviser but not so much a friend to the court (he's kind of grumpy and old).
If Po knows of a place for him or needs something filled, he'd be more then happy to do so, whether that be as regent, emissary or champion of wisdom.

Pretty active, I have been very active with Ramses and I don't see why Seir would be any different? Especially because he is so different from Ramses! You know if anything would impede my activity I would definitely keep you updated!

Of course! You know I am always willing to help you because you know how much I love Dawn!

I think you know this but I can reach out to you some more!

Anywhere, he will mostly stick around Delumine but I could see him making journies outside Dawn to help build relations with other courts .
~~~

[Image: d76m7ty-c3d3b9e6-f9f9-4b8f-b85a-482e77b8...uNXpWjcHAk]
Sing me a lullaby of wolves and woods.
~
All interactions but maiming and death allowed.

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

an eye for an eye and the world goes blind

As the meeting was called and the people gathered, Somnus lingered to the side, letting everyone have their time to listen and speak. Verdant eyes remained fixated on Ipomoea, watching as his little brother called Delumine together in his first act as Sovereign. He listened, ears forward and attentive. Indeed, Dawn Court needed to change in order to thrive. Whatever changes came next, Somnus would quietly support his brother from the sidelines, as it was always meant to be.

In the days since his abdication, the dunalino had stepped back from the light of leadership with grace and respect, letting the stresses of running a land drip from his shoulders like water. It felt far easier to wake in the mornings and drag himself from his bed as he no longer carried that heavy mantle with him during every waking moment.

Still… He loved Delumine. He loved Oriens, this land, and his family. While he did not wish for any higher position in the Regime, he did have experience elsewhere.

To his knowledge, no one else had dined and spoken to Oriens regularly. Somnus oftentimes made the journey to Veneror, teapot and two cups in tow. Whether or not Oriens would join him, the dunalino would always settle down and pour two cups of tea, then sit in prayer and meditation for the duration of the day. Where once he was a King, now he was a simple citizen, dedicated to his family and to his patron God.

He had no chosen Oriens, but Oriens had chosen him, and that meant more than anything.

Stepping forward, all grace, poise, and elegance with his wings folded close to the curved barrel of his golden sides, Somnus cleared his throat. The crisp, clipped accent of his words were coated with nothing but respect, and the smallest of smiles twisted his dark lips as he addressed his little brother, the newly crowned Dawn King. “Majesty,” he began, giving a respectful dip of the head in a short bow, “You know that I will always support you and our home. I believe my talents would be better suited to passing on Oriens’ knowledge and wisdom, on overseeing his hand of understanding and keeping the scales of justice balanced. My wisdom and experience is yours when you require them.” Although Somnus truly, honestly doubted that Ipomoea would need his guidance or council when it came to running his kingdom.

“I would graciously ask to be given the mantle of Champion of Wisdom. While I do not speak for Oriens, we have spoken on many occasions. I have walked beside him while destruction rained around our heads. I have sought his guidance and understanding, his wisdom, over tea and cups. My dedication to him is matched only by my dedication to his land, to our home.”

Somnus’ smile remained, calm and confident in Ipomoea’s abilities. They would be fine without him in their higher ranks, but he would always be there to help when the need arose. That had always been his level of comfort, after all.

“That choice is yours, Majesty, but know you will always have me and mine at your disposal.” And once more he bowed his head before stepping back and allowing the next member of their Court to speak.

tag:

Which Rank Would you like your character to have?
Champion of Wisdom. With his close relationship with Oriens and the many times they’ve spoken and had tea-time together, I believe Somnus to be the perfect fit for this very patron-driven role. Somnus is wise and sagely, and wants to use the knowledge he has gained as Sovereign to help Ipomoea build Delumine into a greater land. From the sidelines, of course, and definitely is looking forward to building his relationship with not only his family and friends again, but wants to grow closer to Oriens.

Activity:
Somnus and I are figuring each other out now that he has stepped away from Kingship. With things in life slowing down, we’re definitely working on becoming more active, and I think having him as Champion of Wisdom would definitely help him AND me settle back into things.

What are you some plot ideas you have for Delumine? What's your vision?
Since I played a Sovereign, I really don’t want to toss out ‘this is my vision for Delumine’. xD BUT I would love to explore Viride a little more, possibly add some new landmarks or ancient locations, as well as incorporate the Library. As it’s the largest one in Novus, I think that’s a major strength for us to have. Aside from Viride and the Library, I would love if Somnus could establish a more functional ‘Judicial System’; as we are a court of judges, I think it would be interesting to have a body of individuals established to oversee crimes in not only Delumine, but all of Novus as well.

Where do you see your character, specifically, fitting in?
We’ve discussed this in private and I’ve already kind of covered it, but Somnus is ready to just step away from the leadership role and focus on supporting Delumine from the sidelines. He questioned himself as a King for the duration of his rule, but he does not question his fealty to Delumine or Oriens. Justice, understanding, and wisdom are very important to him. During his time spent as a tactician, as a Regent, and then as Sovereign, he believed in fairness and justice. Somnus would use that experience to help establish a judicial system, as I touched on above.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Thana

Thana

She ran.

Until her heart felt like it was about to burst in a solar flare out of her chest she ran. There had been moonlight pooling cold and silver in her spinal dip. There had been sunlight catching like dreams in the spiral spindle of her horn. Always there had been dear in her wake-- maps of rotten veins cutting through green leaves, trees arcing towards her like the wind pulled up their roots, walls growing moss as she bedded down outside them to sleep.

And still she could not forget the sapling that died and grew at the same time.

Thana could not forget him.

So when the fog rolls in thick and gray she went with it. Droplets of water gathered on her eyelashes like snow and dampened her lips with something that looked like diamonds when morning barely broke through the gray. Her tangled hair lies flat with dew against her neck, flat enough that there is no way for the horses to see the crack of lighting cutting through her neck. She hopes no one remembers seeing her run with a trail of death through their tall-tree forest.

She does not pause to wonder what she would do if they did.

They crowd around her makes her shiver like a wildcat trapped in a cage. Their eyes, all their eyes, feel like blades testing out the hardness of her skin, hungry for the sinew and bone beneath. She moves towards the edge of the, where the older horses are and those with their eyes looking only down, down, down to the stone and dirt as if they can trace the maps of roots racing underneath in a secret life she'll never learn.

Thana is looking down too, trying to see the pathway of life beneath her hooves (under all this heavy stone and packed down dirt), when she first hears him. Her lungs quiver as she inhales the sound of him, the way each root  beneath her presses up and trembles beneath the stone. And when she closes her eyes, and discovers the feel of the earth alive instead of dead, she remembers how it felt to open her eyes up to this terrible world.

I am Thana, she had thought. And when she opened them towards that expanse of the bluest twilight she had ever known, I am searching for--.

Now when she opens her eyes towards where he's growing a plant blooming a color as deep as the aching in her chest, she's not thinking of the twilight sky and the salted sea on her tongue. She's thinking instead of the golden water dripping down her eyes and how this silver dew feels less like home and more like something deeper, something darker, something that is a hole and needs filling.

Thana lifts her head until her horn is reaching up over the crowd like a sword lifting over a dead, overgrown battlefield. Like she's the last sharp thing left in the world of weeds and newborn flowers. She doesn't say anything as the sunlight shines across her damp skin and makes her gold, gold, gold instead of blood-red and rotten.

And this time when she blinks and looks into the halo of light chasing through the fog she only thinks--

I am Thana, and then, I am done searching.

"Death hath no dominion"

Either champion of battle, warden or just some random rank. I think it'll be fun to force her to do something other than be tragic and lonely.  

I likely could do about 6-10 posts with her a month.

Always. I'm a huge fan of events, lore and I want to make all the NPC hedge witches. I also think writing prompts could be a fun way to delve into the lore and world of Dawn too.

Trees! Actually I'd love to see them have to do something to "save" the court. Maybe a plague comes to the forest and they have to fight to keep it from spreading. Or maybe a winter that seems a little harsher than normal. I'm a sucker for drama.

No where D: (but really I have no idea, I imagine her being at the outskirts and trying really hard to do something to make her feel less restless, and searching.) It's high time she discovered loyalty to something.

Played by Offline Sea [PM] Posts: 39 — Threads: 12
Signos: 560
Inactive Character

The Girl From Oldwood

She never expected to see him again - not like this - on the steps of the Delumine turf, breathing life into nothingness and causing plants to grow -- then asking the citizens for their help.  Delumine always seemed so sleepy, at least in the month that Emersyn had arrived, but now seeing how small and intimate the gathering of Dawn was, now she understood why.  It almost reminded her of home, after the entire city had been razed down to nothing but the soldiers who survived.  The sheer thought gave her goosebumps, but Emersyn maintained a steady approach as she neared them.  

Ipomoea, the man from Veneror, he was their King - her king - and never once did she think to ask who he was when she told him her story.  Even now, after all her words, she still felt no shame in revealing her hand of cards.  If anything, she felt relief in knowing that they had spoken prior to this meeting (and quite candidly at that!).   Everyone else that had gathered seemed familiar in some way, Mateo especially, and she wondered just how closely she would be working with this group. 

Emersyn stood alone in the crowd, not much for tight spaces or physical contact.  She waited patiently for those around her to speak their thoughts, concerns, even desires.  Even now she could not think of what she wanted from Delumine, just that she could help the struggling court to the best of her abilities.  More of a soldier and much less of a soothsayer, the woman chose an ambiguous way to offer her services hoping that the king would understand whatever level she was coming from. 

"I trust you, sir.  I trust you'll put me to work where I may be most helpful."  Her eyes were more affixed to the chicory plant blooming before her very eyes.  The magic was beyond her, one day she may understand (she doubted it), but she could not help but wonder - "Why chicory?"  The soldier asked knowing that the answer would most likely come to her another day.  

~~~

@Ipomoea  We meet again!  Sorry for another short reply.  :<

She's recovering from a bad history (Ipomoea actually knows it) so it would be in his best interest to place her somewhere he thinks would be fitting.  The girl might not be good in a military position unless we are all interested in creating some weird PTSD story arc (that could end badly for Delumine, if we need a dark plot for the court)

More active than she is now, especially if she has obligations to her court. (right now we have no plots going so it has been slow and steady as we greet and meet new faces)

Absolutely!  I love Lore and I would enjoy creating events and NPC's.

Mateo and Emersyn are about to encounter an invisible monster in Viride forest (spoiler alert) that could potentially aid in some plots.  I like the ideas I've been reading about a sick forest. My other Dawn character, previously a tree in Viride, was brought down by an invasion of insects that are known for destroying groves of trees by feeding on them.  This could be helpful.  Since Delumine doesn't seem to have many enemies, creating creatures that destroy buildings or uprooting the harmony of the library could be interesting.  I like monsters, and would enjoy dropping some prompts for Delumine for the civilians to fight them/protect each other or properties.  Emersyn is also incredibly nosy, and it would be fun to start generating a newspaper of some sorts with all the local gossip (or other court gossip) a weekly journal of everything going on.  A collection of horses could be deployed to go find weekly stories, come home to collaborate to generate press.  It can be anything; positive news, scandals, monster sightings, murders, births, promotions, job offers, ads.

She is always within the city, libraries, or training on the outskirts.  She is also travelling to other courts when there is nothing too pressing going on.  Emersyn likes to know what is going on everywhere and to have a full scope of her surroundings.

Eros

Aion is sleeping soundly beside him when a rap sounds at their door: a messenger, with a summons for a court meeting. Eros thanks him before sending him on his way, and returns to their room to make sure the noise hadn’t awoken Maret. She is still curled around her stuffed lion, tiny nostrils quivering as she snores. Working carefully and quietly from the dim morning light at the window, Eros does his best to get ready without disturbing either of them. It takes him longer than usual, but he can’t help himself from admiring how peaceful his husband and daughter look. He presses a gentle kiss to each of their foreheads before he leaves and whispers that he’ll be back soon.

In the courtyard people are gathering and he can see Ipomoea amongst the crowd. Po, his friend—the new king. Eros makes his way into the court and smiles his greeting to a few acquaintances. He spots Mateo and Somnus, and a few he does not recognize. In time he’s sure they will become familiar faces, just as he had once been a newcomer. But for now he’s content to focus on Po and wait for them to introduce themselves later.

Po spins a plant from the soil, knobby stems and periwinkle flowers materializing at his feet. “Together we will bloom, and our colors will be the brightest of them all.” Of that, Eros has no doubt. But he has a flower of his own at home to see bloom, and he wants to spend every minute he can watching her grow.

So he waits until the crowd disperses, and approaches his friend to tell him such. “I know you will choose an excellent new Champion of Community, and hope you will come visit my and Aion’s growing family sometime soon. I’m sure little Maret would love to meet the new king.”

x
aimless | lunarblues

Messalina

Ipomoea,

At last you have returned, my king. 

I am sorry I have not written to you for so long, and I regret not delivering my regards to your ascension personally. 

Some things have... happened, while you were away. However, I do not wish to worry you before the meeting. I assure you that I am alright.

My ship has been delayed, and so I have sent this letter ahead of me to tell you this: I have decided to step down from my position as Champion of Wisdom. 

I know this is sudden, and - I wish I could have said this to you myself. I wish I would have found you sooner.

Please, have faith in me. I will tell you my reasons when I arrive at the citadel this evening.

Blessed be the Dawn.

Messalina

At the first light of dawn, a dove as white as freshly fallen snow sits and taps its beak softly against Ipomoea's window. Tap, tap, tap. Two red roses press their petals against the glass, frost limning their edges. 

The dove taps once more upon the glass for good measure before scooping the stems of the roses gingerly into its beak (a careful observer will notice that the stems have been stripped of their thorns) and flutters into the room when the window is cracked open. 

It is a well trained dove. One of the very best, in fact - it hovers politely by the sill and deposits the flowers on the wooden cabinet leaning nearest the wall. Then, it turns its inquisitive red eyes towards the young king and waits for his nod to approach. 

Attached to its leg is a tightly rolled slip of parchment, and as the dove nears, it holds out its claw for the king.

Take it, its eyes read. From her, to you.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »