Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

Private  - [Quest] i never promised you roses

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Callynite [PM] Posts: 75 — Threads: 22
Signos: 50

back to the beginning

It seems too perfect - as one path opens up in light, the other closes itself in darkness. Perhaps you think it an obvious choice, believing the forest is leading you to the correct path. Whatever your reasoning, after only a moment of indecision you step over the fallen tree and into the moonlight.

It feels for a moment like entering a new world: the air feels lighter here, more welcoming. Your hooves float along the ground, as if you weigh little more than a feather might. Your skin is tingling, as motes of dust and miniature specks of light settle along your coat.

Weeds and bushes tangle the pathway of the trail, and if it were not for the moonlight you might have easily strayed from its path; as it is, you find it all too easy to follow, and all too easy to slip into the mystery of the night. Each time you brush against the flora, a thousand pieces of moonlight rise as bubbles into the air, and you might swear you heard them laughing. Perhaps you laugh along with them; perhaps your mind is beginning to feel bleary now, as if every part of you is coming apart in fractures of moonglow. A warmth settles into your bones, a lightheadedness; and yet, it is not altogether unpleasant. Each piece of yourself, each memory you hold dear - you can see them now, floating alongside you down the moonlit trail.

There you are as a child again, or an adolescent, or an adult, perhaps there is even a version of yourself you know to be from future years. Are they smiling, and laughing as the moonlight plays across your face? Or are they frowning, or crying, or hanging their head in silence?

Do you still feel like them?

They walk with you for a while, this other-you, this past-you, this future-you. Until the trees part again. Standing in the moonlight is the stranger from the beginning of the path.

He smiles at you, but it seems a sad smile.

“Who are you?” the stranger asks, breaking the silence. The other-you looks at you, and smiles a feral smile you do not recognize. “I do not believe you are not the same Euryale, or the same Erasmus, that you were earlier today.” Already he is disintegrating - it seems a trick of the light, the green tones of his coat blending into his forest, his eyes darkening from sun-bright gold to the silver of the moon. “I warned you not to let the forest trick you…”

And then he is gone. And you are alone with that other-you.

The moonlight path has led you back to the beginning of the trail, instead of the end. The stranger is there to welcome you -- but so it seems, is yourself. A ghost-version of yourself from the past, future, or present, follows you back. It is up to you how long they follow you (maybe they stay in the forest, or vanish once the solstice ends; or maybe they follow you around for some time to come. Perhaps they wish you harm, or are there only to serve as a reminder of some important event in your life.) Feel free to interpret this prompt however you wish!

@euryale & @erasmus have each been awarded +300 signos for completing this quest. Thank you so much for participating!

Messages In This Thread
[Quest] i never promised you roses - by Euryale - 07-16-2020, 07:02 PM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Erasmus - 07-17-2020, 07:29 AM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Euryale - 07-28-2020, 05:53 AM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Erasmus - 07-30-2020, 10:30 PM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Euryale - 08-05-2020, 11:38 PM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Erasmus - 08-12-2020, 09:28 AM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Euryale - 08-13-2020, 02:43 PM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Erasmus - 08-29-2020, 10:14 AM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Official Dawn Account - 09-08-2020, 09:19 PM
RE: [Quest] i never promised you roses - by Erasmus - 12-20-2020, 10:07 AM