Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - never learned nothing

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline lackadaisy [PM] Posts: 105 — Threads: 19
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

the road less traveled

One of the wonders she had come to admire was the archives here.

Never before had Willoughby seen a library, let alone heard of one until now. Her parents were kind folks, gentle folks, and had their own stories to tell. They told them by lips, not pages. Voices, not verses. She actually did not know how to read very well - simple things like lyrics and rhythms were more her speed. Yet this did not mean the woman was lacking intellect. She just learned differently.

It did not mean she wanted to lack in any way. Discovery was the spice of life. Adventure came in many forms. Today she would find herself in the library, perusing the shelves. Today, she wanted to read more about the mythology and folklore associated with the realm. Willoughby was always looking for new material to add to her routines. She would start here before going to the courts' lands to perfect her craft.

The woman still considered herself a new member of entertaining. Not yet an aspired or beloved bard, but a simple amusement for the masses. This fine day was not spent with such dances and songs in mind. No, it was spent in the library among dusty tomes. She did not know where to start, but she took a simple pleasure in finding out for herself.

@tag / speaks / open for anyone

Played by Offline Elidhu [PM] Posts: 55 — Threads: 14
Signos: 40
Dawn Court Soldier
Female [She/Her]  |  10 [Year 500 Winter]  |  17 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 16  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

I'm headed straight for the castle

Once more she finds herself in the empty halls of the library. Memories of meeting Pravda days prior return to her, they are fresh. As fresh as the wounds torn back open by him. Torn open wide enough that not even the balm of the sea could soothe their ache. Meira moves through the aisles of books she is slowly growing familiar with, the smell of dust is still so foreign to her. The soldier is no scholar, and she still is a fraud in these halls of knowledge. Further and further down the rows of books she wanders. She cannot help but think that all these books are more like teeth than prose on pages. They too are eager to sink themselves into the spaces of her flesh that have not yet scabbed over. Thousands of words that would make her feel the sting of his love again.

Meira sighs as she stares at the titles along the spines of the books. She does not love words as much as she loves violence. So few books have a passion for war the way that she does. It is an ugly thing, and she takes comfort in that. Pain is something tangible. As she is lost in thought, she catches a glimpse of another soul wandering past her. They bear wings and are painted in pastel hues. Their hair is bound in three buns along their nape. Everything about them is elegant. They are everything that she is not. Beautiful, poised. They are not fragile though. She is still so fragile. Her bones will shatter like porcelain if someone takes notice of her. Meira wants this equine to notice her though, in the same way, she has noticed them.

Meira is the one out of place here. "Are you looking for something? The words fall from her lips too quickly for her to catch. They are nervous, awkward. She peers at the woman with her azure pools. She smells like magic, and Meira wishes she smelled like anything but the sea. The sea does not mesh well with prose.

@Willoughby 

Inactive Character

the road less traveled

"Hmm?

The tone is light, curious. It is clear she hadn't noticed the other woman until they address her. Pale sapphires blink once, twice before shifting to look at the stranger. They are a sea of brunette hues, streaked with stark ivory and soft beiges. Willoughby smiles in greeting, her eyes looking back to the aisle of books briefly.

"No, no. Nothing in particular" comes her gentle reply, a ghost of a giggle on her vocals. She closes her eyes in an instant, flashing a more friendly smile with a tilt of her head. A regular gesture for her. "I mean, I have not a title in mind" Willoughby goes on "but I am looking for something."

Or a few things. "I just wondered if this library had any record of songs, dances... Maybe even a few old stories?" She opens her eyes, staring expectantly at the other woman. Did they work here? Were they a regular? That was half the fun of finding out.

@Meira / speaks / welcome!

Dawn Court Soldier
Female [She/Her]  |  10 [Year 500 Winter]  |  17 hh  |  Hth: 10 — Atk: 10 — Exp: 16  |    Active Magic: N/A  |    Bonded: N/A

The pastel woman turn to face her. She does not look startled, but thoughtful. Meira finds it hard to breathe for a moment when she turns. There is something so delicate about her frame. The way the splashes of colour frame her finely chiseled visage. The way her eyes peer into Meira's soul. It makes her want to shrink like the wilted flower she is. They do not agree they are looking for anything, at least not specifically. A pleasant smile forms on her face. It feels like chewing teeth. Meira can feel herself floundering as her sea recoils from the pleasant conversation. This woman is the sun, of that there is no doubt. There is something wholly pleasant about her. Pleasant in ways Meira knows she will never be.

Meira is so distracted by the stranger's beauty, and her comparisons between them that she almost misses the words that tumble from their lips. They are looking for something. Her blue eyes remain focused on the movement of the stranger's lips as they weave their request for her. The soldier does not know why she has given an offer of help to this stranger. She is no scholar. She is a fledgling when it comes to the knowledge that the grand library of Delumine houses. To her surprise, the stranger makes a simple request of her. She wonders if there are any books about old stories or songs. Meira is lucky to have been pointed in their general vicinity just days prior, or perhaps that she has been so restless that she has had time to wander the quiet aisles. "Hm, it sounds like you would have liked the Fire Festival. Dancing and stories were in abundance." Meira answers her. She feels awkward filling in the gaps of someone else's' knowledge.

Meira gestures with her head in another direction. The silver items upon her bodice glimmer in the dim light of the sun that is filtering in through the clouded windows. A brief glimmer. Just like her. Parts of her still shine through the stains he has left on her. "There are some stories this way. I'm not sure if they are specific to Delumine or not. I'm not actually a scholar here, but I'm sure we could find one if we need one." It is at this moment that she realizes she is speaking about them as if this is a quest they must forge onward together. Meira clears her throat and averts her gaze away from the beautiful, delicate bird. "This way..." The words fall from her lips. They sink into the floor, beyond the precipice of their world and the one she fights each night. Meira turns and begins to lead the way to the aisles of books that she remembers seeing books of lore, filled with countless stories.

@Willoughby 

Inactive Character

the road less traveled

A festival was mentioned, and Willoughby gasped lightly. T'was a light sound, full of emotion and expression yet doing neither of those openly. Her awe was more than shock. Her interest was more than curiosity. Her head tilted as her ears pinned momentarily to the back of her skull, pale eyes furrowing in thought. "Oh!" the maiden says at last, giggling "that sounds so lovely!"

A fire festival. Both dangerous and beautiful. She would have liked to have seen such a thing. Maybe next time. Willoughby was not one to get so easily caught in the past. She flew by what-if's. The maiden took a step toward the stranger, smiling all the while. "It does not have to be strictly about this land" she explained gently "does this library not have a place for others to drop their own stories off?"

It was sad if not. She would have liked to publish stories, once upon a time. Sheet music, too. But the stranger offered to help, directing her 'this way'. Willoughby launched herself after them, hooves softly clanking against the ground. "T-Thank you!" she blurts out quietly "this is my first time in the library. I admit I am overwhelmed..."

Dawn Court Soldier

She has never met anyone so full of wonder. So full of life. Or perhaps she has, and simply does not remember. Meira can see the tides of passion shift across her companion's face as she exlaims how lovely the festival must have been. Meira smiles, the taste is bittersweet. "Yes, it certainly was. I believe Terrastella is celebrating their fields of flowers currently. Perhaps that might be of interest to you?" Meira does not peer at the woman full of wonder as she speaks. She wants to be forgotten after their encounter. It aches too much for her to think of what it would mean to have someone to call friend. Not while the fire rages inside of her. The sound of her soft giggle is like music to her ears. 

It causes Meira to smile. A smile filled with dark shadows at the edges. The woman speaks again. She informs Meira that she is looking for all sorts of stories, not just the ones about Novus. This catches her attention for a moment. She wonders if this stranger is a traveler. One of the equines who come from far away, and decide to stay. Her question causes the earth-bound Roanne to pause a moment. "I am not sure. I never spent much time in any library. I've found myself here more often since I left Solterra, and then Denocte. I know nothing about Delumine, and yet I find myself a soldier in her army. I would presume they have something like that, but I don't know that I can answer that for you." Meira offers with a gentle roll of her shoulders.

For a moment, she casts a fleeting glance over her shoulder toward her companion. "I'm Meira, by the way." The introduction is haphazard. The words fall like stones from her lips. The sound of their hooves dancing across the cool, smooth stone fills the air for a few moments as they carry on. Meira is taken by surprise by how thankful the stranger is, and the roaring sea quiets. This is a position she has never been in before. Truthfully, I am too. I think I might be more so if I hadn't gotten help from a scholar a few days ago. I suppose that means we can be overwhelmed together. Two strangers in an unfamiliar library." It is her turn to offer a gentle laugh. Meira realizes how long it has been since the wrinkles at the edge of her mouth have smoothed out. Since she has really laughed or enjoyed the company of another.

Yet, there is still doubt. It is an insidious, creeping thing. 

@Willoughby 

Inactive Character

the road less traveled

To the aspiring bard, every person had their own flavor. Their own mark on the world. It may not what others agreed to, it may not even be acceptable... but she did not care. The fact this woman took the time out of her life to show Willoughby around was a positive thing for the maiden. Some would balk at the coldness displayed - she chose to either ignore or be oblivious to it.

Happily walking behind the woman, she glances this way and that. Even if Meira wants to help, Willoughby would help too! She wasn't incapable of finding things, even if she was a bit lost. "What a lovely name" she smiles "can I ask what it means? I do so love learning about the names of others" a pause before she blurts; "and I am Willoughby. A pleasure."

Meira goes on to say a scholar had helped her. Willoughby nodded in conversational mannerism, wondering who it was but unwilling to actually overwhelm her potential new friend. "How exciting" she beams, finding no greater joy than a person taking time out of their schedule to assist someone in need "it must be nice to meet others that are different than the path you have taken."

She pauses again, tilting her head at an interesting looking old tome they pass. "I am actually quite new to Novus. I have been here for nearly a year, yet haven't the pleasure of meeting many of the Courts."

Dawn Court Soldier

The stranger compliments her name as they wander the aisles. Creeping closer and closer to the destination Meira has in mind. The compliment causes her to pause for a moment, because she cannot remember the last time she has been given a genuine compliment. Thank you." The words tumble from her lips awkwardly. Two words that she has not spoken in so long. Too long. The stranger asks what it means, and then pauses a few moments before explaining why she asked. Meira is quiet. The woman continues on, and then introduces herself as Willoughby. Willoughby. The name is forever burned into her mind. A name she associates with someone good. Someone bright, if a bit oblivious. "Giving Light. Because I was born in Solterra, the court whose god is Solis. An embodiment of the sun, of day. My family was very devout to Solis. I am still quite devout to the deity. I think, once upon a time, my mother believed I was the light. When she believed love could endure all." Meira answers her, but does not provide too much detail.

They are still strangers. Willoughby next addresses Meira's sharing her encounter with a scholar. She pipes up how exciting it must be to meet someone different than herself. The soldier has never thought of things in such a way. The sentiment is almost too poetic for a warrior. Willoughby seems like the type of equine who cherishes every encounter they have with others, no matter what kind. Her blue eyes fall upon the pastel splashed frame of her companion as they near the aisles that Meira thinks will be of the most use to the traveler. "I think we might have different definitions for exciting. It was certainly different. I am someone who is made for blood and war and violence... not pouring over tomes full of words about the lives of others. Not that I mean to diminish the work of scholars, I simply do not relate." She responds, trying hard not to be too cold toward the stranger.

Willoughby shares with Meira that she is new to all of Novus. This is a fact that surprises Meira for only a few moments. She believes she is more surprised by the fact that she has never met a traveler before. Not really.

Merchants didn't count because she never had a real conversation with them. So to her, they were not real.

"I know this is probably where I should say something like, you should join Delumine! But I still deeply love Solterra. If you ever are interested in visiting another court, I would be happy to show you around Solterra. I am native to Novus, but find I know the most about the Day and Night courts. I grew up in the Day court... Where did you come from Willoughby? Or are you one of those types that has never really come from anywhere? A nomad?"

Meira finally stops and gestures once more towards a few aisles she has found a collection of stories in. "You'll probably find the most stories here. Or maybe I am wrong, but I found quite a few here." She finally turns to face the pastel beauty she now knows as Willoughby. The sea inside her is urging her to run, but she has cast her anchor upon the shore for now.

@Willoughby 

Inactive Character

the road less traveled

"What a beautiful meaning" she says with a blissful sigh as Meira went on about the deities in Novus. Solis was the name of the one they worshipped. To Willoughby, she would hate to be restricted to just one god. She was not a very... devout individual, unless they were a muse creature. There were some spoken in legends, about how they would visit the frustrated musicians and lend their power.

She smiles at the brunette. "Yes, but you came back to the library" she points out gently "that means even if you don't like those interests, you found beauty here, no?" Why else would someone come back to a place they had no business to be in? "I am more for singing, dancing and telling stories" the bard went on "yet I can associate with books. They breathe new life into tired old fables."

And she saw another reason. "If books are not your thing, maybe some scrolls on battle tactics? Maybe there are pictures and poses you can learn!" Anything to help Meira like she was helping Willoughby, after all. The mare went to ask about her life, causing the maiden to bounce a bit closer. "my parents and I wandered for a long time, outside of Novus..." It was a neutral subject for her. No qualms about anything.

"I only really traveled with my former teacher. He was a kind man, but I wanted to stay in Novus. Perhaps I was tired of going to different places. Maybe I wanted to settle somewhere" she rolls her slender shoulders with a giggle "I haven't a reason to join a Court, not yet." She was fine on her own, given the season. Winter would be harder to survive in the wilds, and she was aware of this. Meira finally directed her to the books. A happy little squeal echoed from the maiden.

She rushed forward, past the brunette to the tomes. "Yes, yes... these look like very old fables" she reads a few of the titles, a confirming nod with a happy grin. Glancing over her shoulder at Meira, she flashes her new friend a smile. "thank you for the help. I could not have found this alone!"

Dawn Court Soldier

The woman gushes about the meaning of her name. It is undeniable how bright and optimisitc this stranger is. Meira wishes she could agree with her. Wishes that she too could see such beauty in the simplest of things. If Willoughby knew what Meira once was, she was certain that her companion would not find that name so beautiful. Once a Roanne always a Roanne. Meira knows she can only hide that fact or so long, because one day she will join them. One day she will belong to a stronghold, right here in Delumine. Meira chooses not to say anything in response to the compliment this time, instead she just offers her companion a small smile. She can't bring herself to thank the woman for her kindness, not yet. They move, and for a moment Meira hears only the steady sound of their breaths. The sound of their hooves upon the well-worn, and well-loved stone floor. The woman speaks again.

She points out that Meira has come back to the library. The words are gentle, but they still point out the contradiction of her interests and actions. Meira isn't offended, but she can appreciate Willoughby trying to stem the swell of emotion that might sweep away others. Some days she thinks she is as empty as him. That she can feel so unaffected by being challenged, even gently. Or perhaps she has grown. Grown far beyond his reach. Willoughby suggests that Meira may have found some sort of beauty, and that has urged her to return. She thinks then of Pravda. He is the only beauty she thinks she has found here. Pravda, she recalls, looks as though he is carved from the finest marble. His eyes are like the sea. But it is not beauty she has come to find, it is the hope that she can learn enough to fit in. Meira desperately wants to love Delumine as her home.

"I might have found beauty here, but it is not the kind I think you are thinking of. I do not find beauty in why I come back. It feels as though all of Novus is on fire, and I am unable to reach the other side. So I am stuck here. Stuck even though it is a choice I have made because I am far more afraid of the flames closing in on me. I want to call Delumine home because there is nowhere else in all of Novus that I can go." Meira admits. The words surprise her, and she keeps them soft. So quiet so that Oriens may not hear her. Willoughby shares that she is a scholar, or at least what Meira would define as such. Yet, she seems more interested in entertainment than in knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Meira listens, she remains quiet because she is not sure what she can say. The woman transitions again and suggests that Meira looks at some scrolls about battle, and tactics. The earth-bound sea pauses a moment because she has never considered doing that. "I hadn't thought of that." Another admission that escapes her lips without her control. Her companion provides a balm so that she might recover some of her composure. Meira listens as Willoughby describes her nomadic lifestyle before Novus. Traveling with a teacher, until she decided she wanted to stay here. Willoughby shares that she has not found a reason to choose one court yet. Meira wonders if she does suggest Delumine, if Willoughby would stay. If she would light up the lives of others the way she has for Meira.

A squeal escapes the pastel woman as she rushes to the old tomes filled with stories written by long dead and forgotten authors. Meira offers another quiet smile to the woman. "Of course. I hope you'll stay in Delumine awhile, Willoughby. Perhaps you can find a reason to join us. I think I'd like to have a friend so bright, with an abundance of warmth and optimism." Meira speaks, and she nearly startles at her own stark honesty. The Delumine soldier hovers at the end of the aisle and peers at Willoughby, she does not dare to draw any closer. She thinks that she might take her leave soon, so that she can learn what it means to belong to Delumine. "I think, it is time I go and continue to try and understand my place here. I won't be too far away if you need me though." She offers her companion. Meira will only stay if Willoughby asks her to.

@Willoughby 
you could post again and we can close this one out and move on to another! if that works for you?

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »