Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - There's No Looking Up For Heaven

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Dingo [PM] Posts: 82 — Threads: 5
Signos: 0
Inactive Character

and all their words for glory

well they always sounded empty
”Anything can heal – and everything can change – if it is only given time.”

The words of the weary sage echo repeatedly in his head as Ulric departs the threshold of this new world he has found himself in. It was a saying he had heard many times over, yet it was one that, admittedly, he had never completely understood. Time could not heal disease, could not heal ignorance and it did little to take away the sharp sting of loss. Perhaps it could come to soothe troubled memories and superficial wounds, but in the roan’s experience, time healed nothing – it only replaced memories.

It was to the northeast that he ventured in search of the domain ruled over by Oriens, he who thirsted for wisdom, truth and respect above all else. If he were being honest with himself, Ulric didn’t known which of the four Courts he should approach, or if he should simply move on until he found somewhere else entirely to settle in for the summer. Never one to dabble in religion, Ulric had been infinitely interested in the sage’s tale, but whether it be spun on truth or deceit, he placed little thought into it. The Gods had never smiled down upon him anyway; what would cause them to start now?

And so he continued onward, willing to take the risk and see what this so-called Dawn Court had to offer and, in turn, what he could offer them.

Hickory trees stand tall all around him, casting shade over the deep, verdant green grass that spans as far as the eye can see. In the background of his mind, the soft gurgling of a nearby stream can be heard as he moves deeper into the foreign domain. Unaware of their policies, he is ever cautious as he makes his entrance, gilded eyes scanning his surroundings for signs of others. He looks to the skies, within the trees, towards the river and across the grassy plain, and he waits patiently with his wings tucked closely against his mottled, scarred sides.

For he knows the repercussions of trespassing, and that is the last thing he wishes to do.

OPEN to any and all that want to crash! :D

HISTORY HAS ITS EYES ON YOU

all contact is permitted and encouraged

Played by [PM] Posts: N/A — Threads:
Rostislav

Boundaries... I'm fine walking the borders of Denocte and doing my best to defend them. But respecting the borders of other territories? Weeellll.... You are incorrigible. Damaris chuckles in my mind, but it's a mild chiding. A smirk dances across my face as I cross the border into Delumine. I've only been in this territory once before, while searching for the relic of the Gods. I can't help but return now out of pure curiosity. I've been in the sun court, having briefly lived there. I live in Denocte now, not just a herd member but the Warden. (A title which I'm proud of and would like to live up to.) And certainly I've been to Terrastella nearly as much as anywhere else, often searching for the company of my striped lady.

A smile settles on my lips as I walk beneath the hickory trees toward a river that winds near the Dawn Court. Damaris lurks behind, trailing some twenty feet back to sniff the ground and take in the scents of the strange land - for she has never been here before. But something moves up ahead, still within the shadows of the trees, and I stop to stare, my eyes focusing on a pegasus. A roan stallion, standing alone and almost seems like... he doesn't know where he's going any more than I do. I resume my approach, Damaris still behind me. I announce myself with a snort, hoping to not startle the stallion, for I'm curious about the first one I've met on my return journey to Delumine.

"Greetings, Comrade. Pardon my intrusion." I dip my head in greeting as I stop a few yards away from the winged beast. With a title attached to my name, it's better to be on my best behavior, I suppose. My hound approaches behind me, stopping to stand by my hind legs. A ray of light shines down, illuminating my visage and most of my torso, including my soft smile in greeting.

WC: 331
Tag: @Somnus @Ulric @Kasil ??

Rosti thoughts | "Rosti speech" | Damaris mindspeak

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

"What if I fall?"
"Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Since his recent arrival to Novus, to Delumine and the Dawn Court, Somnus rarely ventured from the mortar hallways of the Court. As a matter of fact, the golden tactician could count upon one feather a time in which he had departed Delumine all together. He found it oddly soothing and satisfyingly productive in a place so unnaturally quiet, learning, memorizing, locking away every stretch of stone, every room, every nook and cranny of the Court into the recesses of his mind, perfecting a mental map so thorough that should the occasion ever arise, he could navigate the twisting halls blindfolded.

Some called him obsessive. Somnus merely liked to say that he had, and quote, 'contingency plans for his contingency plans'. It was simply the way that he was. Thorough. On point. Prepared.

No amount of preparation, of warning, of ill-fated timings could ready the winged stallion for what the day would hold, however. Finally feeling the clawing fingers of self-imposed incarceration wearing down upon his mind, the dunalino gentleman took to the skies in search of a moment to clear his head, rich caramel wings carrying him along the wind with composed, practiced elegance. The rushing Rapax River sped by under hoof, the verdant tops of the Viride Forest arriving soon after, and acute, perceptive eyes scanned the land beneath the trees as he passed overhead like a bird upon the wind.

An obscure mar against the land caught his eye amidst the thinner section of trees, a dark creature, clearly equine in shape, venturing about. A beat overhead, a curious narrowing of emerald eyes, and the tactician tilted his wings just so, whirling back around and spotting two more shapes beneath the canopy of hickory trees. Visitors, perhaps? Members of the Dawn Court of whom Somnus was not yet acquainted with? Both options were very likely, and deciding to take the gentlemanly route and inquire as to their needs or offer his own assistance, the winged male sought out a suitable barren patch of earth for his landing.

Wings spreading, feathers billowed in the breeze and sudden shift as he came in for a landing, hooves elegantly coming into contact with the earth. Amber feathers ruffled and shifted, wings coiling to tuck comfortably against pale flaxen sides, and only then with all four hooves upon the ground did Somnus direct his attention to the individuals he had spotted from above. Intuitive eyes met the first, a particularly robust fellow of a chestnut-bay mix, with proud horns upon his brow and a flask strewn about his neck. A companion trailed in his wake, a sleek, ebony creature that closely resembled a canine, but Somnus was wise enough to know that this creature was not exactly that. He was a stranger, this broad built fellow and smelled nothing like the Dawn Court, but the tactician was a diplomat through and through, and so he offered him a tip of an onyx crown in greeting before emerald eyes sought out the second form.

The second, well... Somnus recognizes him instantly, but his mind is hesitant to believe it. A head of solid ebony save for a kiss of white, eyes of piercing, rich gold, and a strong body of silvery blue roan. Wings were tucked against scarred sides, but one, half ot the left feathered appendage has been crudely wrenched from the rest of his body... But Somnus already knew why. How odd, finding him here. Still, the tactician couldn't help but smile as recognition truly took hold.

It was a reserved sort of smile, a taciturn expression formed from years of strict composition, but crisp verdant eyes positively smoldered with elation, with unfathomable joy. A familiar face, here, in Novus. How incredibly unlikely, but blissfully welcome.

"Ulric," Somnus greeted fondly in his lilting accent, his stance still at attention, formal and eloquent as always, "To find you in Novus... I can scarce believe my eyes." And here, because Somnus was not rude to anyone who did not warrant it, he turned his head towards the robust male and his sleek canine companion, that smile slowly fading into a more professional expression but the joy in his eyes irreplaceable. "Be welcome, good sir. Please, come closer. I am Somnus."

@Ulric @Rostislav

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Inactive Character

Gazing out across the wide expanse of the rolling fields, he spies a chestnut man with ease as he announces himself with a snort. Tipping his dark ears forward, the roan devotes his attention to the stranger as he looked him over with mild, cautionary scrutiny. They had to be similar in height, but he was of a far more burly build than Ulric himself was. Two proud, ebony horns jut from the top of his head, and only when he comes to a halt a short distance away can he truly get a good look at the other three that line the bridge of his nose. In his company is also a canine who lingers just behind him in silence.

For now, however, there seems to be no cause for concern, but he has learned to be circumspect from a young age.

Still, the roan certainly does not lack manners, and he returns the stallion’s polite gesture with a short dip of his own head. “Don’t worry about it,” he reassures as he lifts his head, the corners of his lips quirking upwards into a small grin, “I’m not sure you can intrude on somebody who’s lost as hell.” Because, honestly, he doesn’t know if he’s even anywhere near the right place. The sage’s words had been vague, after all – Dawn in the northwest – and he hadn’t been given a chance to ask the specifics before the senior had succumbed to an exhausted slumber.

“I came across an old sage a couple days ago, who told me I could find something called the ‘Dawn Court’ somewhere northwest. I'm looking for it. Any idea where it might be?” Hopefully the aging stallion hadn’t been spinning tales the entire time; that would be embarrassing. Here, the roan pauses as though realizing his insolence, and quickly goes to remedy it. “The name’s Ulric, by the way.”

A moment later does a shadow skitter across the ground from above, and looking up, he squints his eyes to watch as a gilded Pegasus shifts in the air to land with cultivated poise. He expects it to be another unfamiliar face in this world so new, but there’s no mistaking the Vhallen chamberlain. The hybrid looks just as regal as he remembered, appearing just as sophisticated here in the wilds as the times he’d trailed near the Vhallen King, the dulcet lilt of his voice unmistakable. Unbidden, a broad grin stretches across his stygian features.

“Somnus,” he speaks with elation, moving to take a singular step closer to him and the bonded chestnut. “Yeah, it’s been a while. What are you doing here?” Wherever, exactly, here was.

Rostislav

The roan stallion smiles upon me, and seems to be genuinely unconcerned about my intrustion. The poor boy seems to be rather lost, by his own words. I chuckle, a glimmer dancing in my eyes. Damaris rubs up through my legs, stopping where she sits just in front of me. "Well dear Ulric, you've found your way. This is the Dawn Court." I wonder to myself if the sage that this Ulric speaks of could be the strange shaman that I had discovered in the Maze. But.. how could Ulric have found his way to the labyrinth without even knowing where one of the nearest courts was? But what would I know....

Before I can say more, however, someone else descends. I stop myself from speaking anymore as another stallion joins our midst, finding his way through the canopy. I stand in silence as I watch the golden hybrid, his flaxen mane dancing about his neck, lands by us. He dips his crown to me first, and I nod in return, mirroring the gesture of polite respect. And then the two other stallions greet each other with joy. Though their words are soft and rather... sedated... I sense that there is more emotion flowing between them, beneath those words, than they let on. They know each other, to say the least, but is this a greater friendship resurrected?

The dark-horned male introduces himself as Somnus. I incline my horned skull once more to them as I finally introduce myself. "I am Rostislav of the Night Court, and this is Damaris, my companion." I glance between the two of them, silver eyes seeing more than they let on. Perhaps we should go... we don't need to interrupt their reunion. I nod in my agreement to the observation. I murmur to the two of them. "Shall we leave you to yourselves?" I hesitate, not quite willing to leave. After all, I've come to the Dawn Court to meet its denizens, and these two clearly belong. I'd like to linger, to know them just a bit better, even if it is simply by listening.

WC: 351
Tag: @Somnus @Ulric

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

S O M N U S

"What if I fall?"

Just as he recognizes Ulric, does Ulric recognize him. It had been many, many months since they had last seen one another, in a land far away from and quite different than Novus. The Kingdom of Vhallen was nothing more than a fond memory for Somnus now, a modernized land with tall buildings made of ivory mortar and granite, a King whom he respected, served, loved, and a title and job of royal chamberlain to his name, but that was all in the past and would do him no favors to recall now, other than flare a deeply rooted agony within his breast. Instead, he focused on the present, on the 'there and now' and the blissful reunion that was right in front of him.

The tactician's verdant eyes crinkled about the edges with his smile, formal, reserved, and polite, and as Ulric dared to take a step closer and lessen the distance between them, Somnus found himself doing the same, rich amber feathers ruffling in anticipation, the tendons of his neck unconsciously stretching outwards to extend his muzzle for a greeting. The roan warrior spoke, his somewhat lazy drawl striking a chord within the mixed stallion. Gods, even his voice was very much the same, along with his manner of speaking. Indifferent, but heartfelt. Only Ulric could master such unscrupulous ways of communication and still get his point across.

"Settling," he murmured softly, finding no reason to hide his struggles of calling the Dawn Court his home, "I could ask the same of you, my friend. I have made my way here, to the Dawn Court, and it is to them who I now serve." Not Vhallen. Not his King. The ache within his chest pulsed in time with his bleeding heart. Not now. Later. Much later.

From there, Somnus' piercing gaze swept across the grasses and trees to the robust chestnut and his black compatriot. He introduced himself with a practiced eloquence that the golden tactician could immediately respect and relate to, and the winged stallion listened with forward ears and earnest eyes. Rostislav is what he introduced himself as, of the Night Court, and only a flutter of trepidation roused his pulse. He had yet to encounter anyone from the Night Court yet. The black canine perched before him, seated upon her haunches, was dubbed as Damaris, and Somnus filtered that information away into the recesses of his mind, where the information would linger, never to be forgotten.

Then, Rostislav inquiries as to their privacy, to the intimacy of reunions, and Somnus is quick to offer a beguiled chuckle and shake of his head, pale locks of ivory sweeping in the air with the motion. "Ah, no. That shan't be necessary, Rostislav, but thank you for your consideration. Ulric and I go back a few years, hm?" The Sage's eyes wandered once more to the blue roan, admiring him fondly, so, so grateful for his arrival, and the dulcet lilt of his voice continues among them. "But I must admit, I do not wish to squander the opportunity to meet one of the Night Court. A pleasure, Rostislav, and Damaris." Then, because he was a formal creature, poised, regal, and prepared, Somnus dipped his horned head in a bow of acknowledgement and respect.

"I hope that your travels have been well, both of you. Rostislav, may I ask what brings you to the Dawn Court?"

@Ulric @Rostislav

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Inactive Character

Though he remains ever cautious of the chestnut and his canine, the tension begins to roll away from his shoulders as the other speaks his response and the hound settles upon her haunches before him. A look of surprise leaks into his golden eyes – had he really been so close? Or rather, so oblivious that he had already made it to his desired destination?

From there, a great spread of information is shared. The chestnut is dubbed Rostislav and his friend is Damaris, but he does not associate with the Court of the rising sun, belonging instead to the Night Court. However, Somnus himself claims to now serve the Dawn, and he can’t help but to wonder for how long he had been here. Ulric had only departed from Vhallen at the beginning of the season while Somnus had been absent for nearly half a year. Although they had been robbed the opportunity to know one another beyond little more than simple acquaintances, he had wondered where the stallion of gold had wandered off to and if he’d managed to find whatever it was he was seeking. Maybe now he could find out, and truly get to know the diplomatic.

There are so many things he wishes to ask, but for now, he bites his tongue and splits his attention between the dun, the chestnut and his companion. Perhaps a part of him does wish to be left alone with Somnus to catch up with him, selfishly so, but he cannot pass up the opportunity to learn more of Novus and its four Courts, as well as Rostislav’s intentions in these lands which are not his own.

“We’ve got all the time in the world to talk later,” he reassures to the draft with a casual grin, at the same time letting his wishes be known to Somus as he casts the Pegasus a fleeting glance before focusing back on Rostislav, “No need to go rushing off.” No, not quite yet. He was interested to learn more of the Night Court, what its lands were like and the type of individuals who inhabited it, and any other salient points regarding it.

Rostislav

The other men establish that they are both members of the Dawn Court, though new Delumine. Their relationship seems to be of friendship, longstanding. I smile, thinking of the friendships that I used to have in Helovia, the ones I've left behind. I think I see the thought of being left alone dance across their faces - at least Ulric's.. but they both insist that I may stay. After all, you don't meet a Russian and a hellhound everyday, eh? I chuckle softly at the thought.

I motion forward out of the forest, gesturing that we might walk further out of the forest's shadow. I walk slowly, making sure to not leave them behind. Damaris hangs behind, sniffing around the trees for what vermin might be lying low. I think about why I've come to Delumine. No need to hide my purpose here, for it's as innocent as a fawn. "Exploring." I show a grin, for it's SUCH a simple answer. "I've been here, but not for a long time, it seems. I'd like to meet some of its inhabitants, such as yourselves."

I stop out in the sunlight, letting it warm my coat. Thank the Gods I'm not in Solterra now - it must be blistering hot there, and I think I might melt. Luckily the sun stays out of my eyes as I turn back toward the two stallions. "Where do you hail from? What brings YOU to the Dawn Court?" Idle wanderings perhaps? A roll of the dice? Who knows. After all, wasn't that how I ended up in Solterra to start with? I sigh contentedly, listening to the birds sing in the skies above.

WC: 276
Tag: @Somnus @Ulric

Rostislav
more than a drunken fool
x - x

Dawn Court Scholar

S O M N U S

"What if I fall?"

It seemed that Ulric shared his sentiments in allowing Rostislav and Damaris to remain in their company. It was a good choice, a sound choice, for denying a member of the Night Court to share in their moment may prove to be a poor diplomatic choice. No, Somnus was well rehearsed in maintaining Court relations; it had, after all, been his job in Vhallen, as advisor to the King. There was no denying, however, the fluttering feeling of relief that Ulric also desired some time alone later, to catch up, to discuss the lives that they had lived since splitting ways, and perhaps, learn more about one another than their briefly allotted freedom in Vhallen had provided.

His inquiry, as to why a member of the Night Court had come into Delumine, was so simple that it wrought a warm chuckle from the tactician's maw, sharp emerald eyes glittering as he glanced the robust draft's way. "Indeed." He answered, his tone jovial and light. "Then I am glad that your exploration has brought you on this particular path, if only to join in our company."

Eloquence was an art form, and one that Somnus handled with considerable poise and perfection. As Rostislav began the trek out of the forest, Somnus fell into step with him, ensuring that Ulric was following with a glance over his shoulder before allowing himself to relax. The stallion's wings drooped ever so slightly, releasing pent up tension, feathers brushing against pale flaxen sides, and even rubbing against Ulric's own feathered appendage whenever their gait matched in perfect tandem. Damaris was skulking about, seeming entirely fixated by the sights and smells which surrounded them, and like her traveling companion, the gilded hybrid offered her a cursory once over. Before he could ask another question of his own in regards to the black canine, however, Rostislav asked one of his own, and a golden ear flicked forward at attention.

"Ah, well..." Hmm. It was a simple question, but one that had a myriad, complex answer. At least partially. "I hail from humble beginnings, I'm afraid, but I last resided in the Kingdom of Vhallen. I came to Novus, to Delumine, to settle down once more and put my skills and insight to use. I am not content to simply sit idly, and there is plenty for me to keep myself busy with here." Somnus did not intend to go into much more detail than that. Some of the details were painful, and better left hidden away in such recently made company. Finally, after his answer, Somnus gave in to his insatiable curiosity and with a glance in Damaris' direction, inquired to Rostislav's knowledge.

"... I don't believe that I've ever encountered a creature quite like Damaris in all of my years. Forgive my forwardness, Rostislav, but what is she?" As a man of knowledge, Somnus simply needed to know these things, and he hoped that the Night Court herald would not be offended by his curious audit.

@Ulric @Rostislav

Inactive Character

The chestnut’s candid answer causes his silver sides to quake with mirth. It’s a simple answer indeed, amusingly so, and needs no further explaining.

As Rostislav takes it upon himself to begin making his way out from under the trees, Ulric is only too happy to oblige, moving to keep relative pace with Somnus as he sidles up to the golden man’s side. Although he knows little the details of the stallion’s past, the sheer fact that he’s a familiar face in an otherwise unfamiliar land is immediately comforting. Leaving the shade behind in favor of the warmth from the sun above, Ulric tips his head back briefly as though relishing in it. Instinct nearly has him stretching his wings out to soak it all in, but over the years, he’s taken on a peculiar habit to keep them tucked securely against his mottled barrel when in the midst of strangers.

His question is one he’s answered countless times before in his travels, and one he has provided many answers to. ’Nowhere important’, his darks lips would often say, and while it he wasn’t exactly lying, it was vague and provided little insight. Tipping his nose towards Somnus, he shifts his dark ears forward to listen with genuine interest as he speaks. Of course, Ulric already knows where it is he had previously come from – it was where they had met – but as to why he had set his sights on Novus next, and more specifically the Dawn Court, the roan was just as clueless as Rostislav.

“I came here from Vhallen as well,” he concedes when Somnus breaks long enough for him to provide an answer all his own, “And before that, I wandered; a soldier of fortune, you could say.” And while the work offered to him had been meaningful, as the years went by, he realized it wasn’t quite as fulfilling as he wished it to be, which brought him to his following answer – one which was just as simple as Rostislav’s own from before. “For purpose.”

Here, he shifts where he stands, cocking one hind leg beneath his argent frame. “And you? How do you serve the Night Court? Have you always been there?”

Gilded eyes then fall to the canine that seems all too content in ignoring them, focused instead on exploring the area around them. She’s a curious thing, what with the bizarre, glowing markings that glow radiantly against her otherwise pitch coat and her eyes as well. The stallion furrows his brows inquisitively, allowing Somnus to speak his curiosity and waiting with interest for the chestnut’s reply.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »